Is this considdered "Pushing the envelope"?

Prototypes often crash. That's an accepted part of the development sequence. Anyone heard of gyroscopes, or even more crudely, pendulum masses?OME

IMO someone with a little know how could easily make this sort of thing into a beautiful flying machine with the use of some basic gyroscope tech.

Unstable vehicles can have benefits (for example manoeuvrability) and with some simple electrics good results are definitely possible.

For example look at a Segway, on its own it would have to be the most unstable design possible but is a very successful product because of a few electrics. Also look at the model aircraft that use gyroscopes to keep them stable very successfully.

IMO it will be a long time before we have a certificated aerial vehicle like this as the process to get it to that stage is prohibitive but I think a homebuilder with some time and a little nouse could do it relatively safely and easily.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

Believe me, this guy is a very long way behind the Wright brothers. They were using their heads to build and learn on what was understood at the time.I have no problem with entertainment, or anyone building something because they feel like it. Sure, good on 'em. But I can't see any point in pretending this is any sort of useful contribution beyond that, that's all.

Now I'm waiting for someone to mention Edison, again...who showed that the lightbulb (which he didn't invent) could be improved...using the empirical method (try everything until you accidentally discover what works). It's one way to proceed, but horribly inefficient, and probably almost totally ineffective now most of the easier stuff has been done.

Meanwhile, Tesla, who worked for him was actually using his head...and developed the working theory behind the AC motor and all the mains power reticulation in the world today.

I think you completely miss the point....It's E N T E R T A I N M E N T .

• Agree 2

Would there be a speedway if all the people who go to see a crash stayed away?

Probably not.

But we probably wouldn't be flying either if everyone carried on like this guy?

These days less of the voyeurs go than was the case when they had demolition derby's or smash caravans. I'm talking about motorcycles mainly. There's a firm support of real people at the right gatherings.. Nev

IMO someone with a little know how could easily make this sort of thing into a beautiful flying machine with the use of some basic gyroscope tech.

Eggzaklee. And it's here now ...

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

This guy did this in a backyard worshop with an obviously very limited bugget. And no R&D team to back him up, their appears to be no attempt at pitch or yaw control just " proof of concept " prototype testing. Given that the yanks currently fly front line combat aircraft that are incapable of controled human flight if the computers shut down and have spent billions getting to that stage alone. I think this chap should be comended as an example of what people that actually have spirit and drive can do despite the nasayers

• Agree 2

In flying there are enough unknown risks associated with any flight already. People who take KNOWN risks with them as well, are stacking the odds against themselves. Lets not be tedious and call everyone who likes to reduce risks to a manageable level in flying as a naysayer. Nev

• Agree 1

When Hargraves was hanging from his tethered box kites in the winds comming off bulli tops at wollongong, without which R&D the wright flyer would not have been possible, I wonder how many people wanted to reduce the risks to a managable level and stop this foolishness then.

• Agree 1

Why is it foolishness? I contend it wasn't..Kites had been around for ages. Lilienthals gliders as well.They provided firm data for the Wrights, based on good sound development and research. Why risk your ars3 to reinvent an inferior wheel?. A weak engine and better control enabled powered flight . A logical progression. When the Wrights eventually went to France the sceptical French (to that point ) acclaimed them, and built some of them under licence At that stage the "Flyer" was the world's superior functioning flying machine. Not just a gimmick.Nev

• 2 weeks later...