5" phone for RWY?

Anyone using RWY on a 5" Android phone? My Nexus 7 has packed up & I can't find an alternate 7" Android tablet. ( I fly a Corby & the 8" tablets are too big for my panel). Any suggestions / advice appreciated. Thanks, Bill

I ran the trial on my Samsung Note 4, it was like a Lite version of Ozrunways, much like the free hook versions of apps with the nag screens. They have a hide asking the same price for these two apps. The screen size was quite usable just the same.

Yesterday I flew a 700NM round trip using RWY on my 5.5" Galaxy S7, for the first time. Being new to this technology I found it was brilliant. It was mounted at dash level to my left, via a suction cap stuck to the windscreen. My co-pilot ran his 10" tablet at the same time, but I was happy just using the smartphone for the whole flight. Everything was legible, zooming in / out was simple, as was changing the map bases underneath the magenta line. I also pulled up NAIPS and Willy Weather mid flight, to check on the latest conditions at our destination - very handy.

I had planned the flight on the phone the day before, so was pretty much ready for the CTA steps, radio changes and conflicts. I carried paper maps too, plus my handwritten flight plan and airstrip mud maps, but could have just as easily jumped to the ERSA diagrams on the phone. I'd say paper maps and flight plans are easier to scan at a glance, but they are often cumbersome and a pain to re-fold while distance flying.

I'm likely to get my own 8" or 10" tablet as a back-up, but was happy with how well the big smartphone did the job. I needed to keep it charged, via cable to the ship supply, and we carried a second battery brick. My phone battery would not have lasted the whole 7 hours - I'm guessing full-time GPS usage chews through the power.

• Agree 1

I run both RWY and Ozrunways over three devices (RWY on a moto e with 4.5 screen, Ozrunways on the IPad Mini which share the licence, then I purchased the additional licence to run RWY on a lenovo Tab 2 10' which is an upgrade from a Nexus 7.)

I find the phone handy to glance at for a quick heading/speed/alt check, but find it easier using the tablet for overall situational awareness and in-flight nav. As mentioned earlier anything more smaller than 7' is getting hard to read, especially when workload is high.

I ran the trial on my Samsung Note 4, it was like a Lite version of Ozrunways, much like the free hook versions of apps with the nag screens. They have a hide asking the same price for these two apps. The screen size was quite usable just the same.

FYI, when I was at the Wings over Illawarra airshow i asked Ozrunways when the lite version was going to be updated to the full version similar to Ozrunways. The representative told me that the using the default mapping technologies in android meant overlays were difficult/impossible and that they had to develop there own mapping engine for android. Form what i understood this has just been completed and they are looking to roll out the extra functionality in stages soon to make it on par with Ozrunways.

Rich

• Agree 1

I use a Samsung galaxy tab 3 lite, can pick them up for about $140 so are cheap enough to leave in the aircraft. Does all it needs to do and good size for fitting in the dash.

just waiting for oz runways or avplan to come up with a fully functioning app rather than the poor versions they currently have for android devices. more and more people are turning away from apple.

Cheers

Ian

Stumbled upon a CASA page today (uncertain date) that said that the minimum screen size of an EFB is 200 mm diagonal, and that smartphones are NOT appropriate for aviation navigation.

Stumbled upon a CASA page today (uncertain date) that said that the minimum screen size of an EFB is 200 mm diagonal, and that smartphones are NOT appropriate for aviation navigation.

This is exactly the case if you are seeking to use the exemption from carrying paper charts and ERSA. You must navigate from the charts, electronic or paper, and not solely by using the GPS.

I use an iPad and an iPad mini so I have backup on long trips. But I also still use my paper charts and handwritten flight plan.

That said, I have done a fair bit of flying around the country including way Outback and I have found the iPad GPS very accurate, and even more so when blue toothed to my GPS mouse. I see some of the meeces are now being produced with a TSO and sooner or later (probably later unless our Regulator undergoes a massive change in direction) this will have to be accepted for primary navigation.

Kaz

• 1 month later...
I'm guessing full-time GPS usage chews through the power.

I have USB charging in my old forunner surf, also on my bike and will certainly be installing one on my little B1rd, maybe some of you chaps may have a reason for not installing one so would like to know if there is a reason, all these extra batteries and such are out, there is also a 4 port version of this and can't complain about the price, guess modding is a no no in GA craft.

I like this one as it is panel mount.

Car Motorcycle Phone Gauge Meter Voltage Volt Waterproof Dual USB Socket Charger

Motorcycle Car Boat Phone GPS 4 Port USB Power Socket Adapter Charger Waterproof

I have USB charging in my old forunner surf, also on my bike and will certainly be installing one on my little B1rd, maybe some of you chaps may have a reason for not installing one so would like to know if there is a reason, all these extra batteries and such are out, there is also a 4 port version of this and can't complain about the price, guess modding is a no no in GA craft.I like this one as it is panel mount.

Car Motorcycle Phone Gauge Meter Voltage Volt Waterproof Dual USB Socket Charger

Motorcycle Car Boat Phone GPS 4 Port USB Power Socket Adapter Charger Waterproof

AussieBird just be wary about some of these cheap USB power supplies - they can set up a whistle in your comms. They use a very basic switchmode power supply to drop 12v to the required 5v, which can generate RF noise in nearby audio equipment - like your radio. I've found that plug-in 12v-to-USB cigarette plug adapters from reputable brands like Apple and Samsung are fine, but the cheap chinese generic units are often noisy and unsuited to a plane. But at $12 maybe it's worth a try....

I have USB charging in my old forunner surf, also on my bike and will certainly be installing one on my little B1rd, maybe some of you chaps may have a reason for not installing one so would like to know if there is a reason, all these extra batteries and such are out, there is also a 4 port version of this and can't complain about the price, guess modding is a no no in GA craft.I like this one as it is panel mount.

Hi I fitted a $25 JayCar USB all good no noise, its protected with 5amp circuit breaker but a 4 amp or even 3amp may be OK. There very neat, robust and have a number of mount options included in the pack. Well worth a look or to buy. Mark Kyle recommended them on his Savannah post and I agree with him that they work great. Cheers Mike

p1090955-jpg.42673

• Agree 1