Lakes Entrance Airstrip

Hi all,

Thinking of taking the Aeros nanolite trike to Lakes Entrance to fly the 90 mile beach. Does anyone have any info on the strip at Kalimna, just West of L/E. I don't particularly want to use the other strip just North of the town as they want $60 landing fees for ultralights!! Also happy to use any decent paddock if anyone knows of a friendly farmer down that way. Thanks in advance...Pete

Hi all,Thinking of taking the Aeros nanolite trike to Lakes Entrance to fly the 90 mile beach. Does anyone have any info on the strip at Kalimna, just West of L/E. I don't particularly want to use the other strip just North of the town as they want $60 landing fees for ultralights!! Also happy to use any decent paddock if anyone knows of a friendly farmer down that way. Thanks in advance...Pete

60 bucks to land. Christ what a rip off - who is the owns the strip is it council?

Hi Pete, my strip is about 20 km inland, you can use it for nothing if you like.I'll P.M you my number, you can ring me if you're interested

Hi & Thanks Skeptic, that is very kind of you. I am planning to come with a mate who also has an Aeros & ideally we would like to be able to drop the wings & have them under cover overnight, but please pm me your number

Pete

I've done the P.M thing, but it did come up with a weird message after I sent it. It's in my sent box so you should have it.There is now a landing fee at Kalimna, I'm told. There is also no hangarage there.

Message received....will be in touch...Rgds Pete

I visited a strip at Lakes Entrance some years ago which was made from scallop shells. Is this the $60 landing fee one? It looked a really good strip which drained well in the wet.

I would think so, it was owned by Col Cambell. The old Cambells Airfield, was bought by somebody with a little bit of spare money, and turned into what is now Great Lakes Airport, it's a great facility, but it seems it has been priced out of reach for us.

I know there are some guys still hangar-ed there, and when I was there the hangar-age included landing fees.

I visited a strip at Lakes Entrance some years ago which was made from scallop shells. Is this the $60 landing fee one? It looked a really good strip which drained well in the wet.

I think the main strip is bitumen now

Yep main strip 08-26 bitumen, awesome drop off /slope to the east with awesome rotor when landing on 26 with the wind coming from the west

Gravel cross strip, haven't landed there in years due to the landing fees which were years back $25 for a trike that used 80m

Clem Smiths strip at Kalimna is a nice grass strip, Clem is a nice bloke also, not sure if he is still flying

• 2 years later...

Hi guys. My wife and kids are staying a few nights in lakes entrance in early December. I was thinking about flying down to join them for the weekend. Just wondering if anyone has any updates / recent experience with the strips down that way?

Hi guys. My wife and kids are staying a few nights in lakes entrance in early December. I was thinking about flying down to join them for the weekend. Just wondering if anyone has any updates / recent experience with the strips down that way?

Great Lakes is Bitumen 07/25 long enough to land a Citation Jet on, also has a gravel cross strip, if you are landing on 25 and there is s bit of a breeze watch out for severe rotor on approach as it slopes uphill quite a bit the approach end, be prepared for a reasonable landing fee I am told.

Another strip is Kalimna 08/26 nice grass strip a few 2.4nm further west owned by Clem Smith 0433 013 444 AH 0351551796 PPR I think but he is a good bloke.

Either way both strips are out of town so a taxi or a pick up by friends would be required.

Hope this helps

Alf

• Agree 1

Bairnsdale (YBNS) may be an option if they have a car. I used to live half way between Bairnsdale and Lakes. Generally flew into Bairnsdale. They have fuel, no landing fees, big runways, not sure about casual hangarage though. Perhaps the family can combine picking you up with a visit to Paynesville and Raymond Island. Depending on the kids ages spotting koalas on the island is usually entertaining for awhile.