Whale Spotting - QLD

I'm relatively new to the area.

Besides the list of "dont's" (don't circle overhead, don't fly low, don't be a nuisance and don't approach them head on), what is the list of "do's" to see whales off the SEQ coast?

1. Which area is best?

2. Time of year?

3. Time of day?

What part of SEQ are you in Chris SS, only advice I can give is Don't do the bars in whale season, it attracts so strange people.

I was at the bar the other night with my buddy having some beers after a spot of whale watching. We had been there a while and quite a few, when two large girls came up to the bar and ordered some drinks. I noticed when they ordered they both had very strong accents so I said ‘Hi, are you two girls from Scotland?’ One of them spoke up, with quite an attitude and said ‘it’s WALES you idiot!!!’

So I immediately said ‘Sorry, are you two Whales from Scotland?’

I woke up in a cell with two black eyes and thinking I will never ever try to pick a woman with a Scottish accent ever again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Off Cape Morton and work your way down the coast of the Strodbrokes. Or up, see which way the VFR lane is meant to go. I have seen plenty mid morning.

There are legal limits to how close you can be. And common sense says have one fly and one look lest you circle low and slow and get distracted and the ocean rises up and smites thee.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Seriously plenty off Hervey Bay out past Fraser, off the coast from RainBow Beach, whale watching boats might be a dead give away but think you may wanna stay clear of them, heard some have Rangers on board, Like rdarby says use a bit of common sense, in everything you, believe for boats it's 100 metre exclusion zone but you may want to check for aircraft, I also heard they have spotter planes up sometimes so their not cruising around aimlessly looking so keep an eye out, sure you can spot one from height way away from any boats. good luck and post a pic or two if you can get any, with zoom of course.

Any shopping center in Logan City or Beenliegh, Saturday lunchtime.

Bex, when you get back to Qld those lovely ladies are gonna put a contract on ya!

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

I went out yesterday and saw whales off the coast of Stradbroke. Many many whales!!!

Having said this, watching whales from 1500' reminded me of Sharon Stone's infamous leg crossing scene in Basic Instinct; It was wow because there was something to see.... but could you actually see anything?!?

• Agree 1

"Any other airborne craft, including fixed wing, gliders, hang-gliders, hot air balloons and airships, must not fly lower than 300 metres or within a 300 metre radius of any Dolphin or Whale. All aircraft should avoid approaching any Whale or Dolphin from head on and should, wherever possible, prevent the shadow of the aircraft from passing directly over the animal."

So 900' is the law. 1500' is a happier height for the glide back to the beach when the ponies escape and the front goes quiet.

• Like 1

Anywhere off Cape Moreton is great for whale watching, as Chris says 300 metres so I stick at 1000'.

Off Moreton you can see quite a lot from that height. I have even seen them between Moreton and Bribie but only once and apparently that is fairly rare.

Edit to add any time from now to late September you should see a fair collection.

I have een them in Gladstone Harbour many years ago. They don't seem to be worried by other traffic, I saw one cruising along about 20m alongside a ferry. It was just about the same size as the ferry.

In the last 4 days, I have seen whales at Cape Byron, off Cape Moreton, along Teewah beach and just off Double Island Point. Saw a good pod breaching today about 20nm north of wide bay bar.

I have seen some flyer about how close you are allowed to get to them, I know its posted at the Aero Club, so will take a look next time I am there.

Gold Coast Tower asked me to report any sightings on Friday!