Release of ATSB accident report on Pitts Model 12

https://www.atsb.gov.au/media/5771037/ao-2015-074-final.pdf

Well, I don't have a gag on me anymore. Aside from the nice photos the accident investigators took of the inside of my plane, the report is pretty much as I expected. We keep seeing this time and time again.

I told someone recently who was looking at getting one of these: it's a wonderful aeroplane which like any other Pitts type does everything you tell it to. It's also great fun to fly. However it is a very high performance aerobatic biplane and if you have a rush of blood to the head and exceed your capabilities, you might be in trouble.

Findings

From the evidence available, the following findings are made with respect to the collision with terrain involving a Pitts Model 12, registered VH-JDZ, which occurred about 8 km south-west of Maitland Airport, New South Wales on 8 July 2015. These findings should not be read as apportioning blame or liability to any particular organisation or individual.

Contributing factors

• Control of the aircraft was lost during a vertical manoeuvre that was likely entered at an altitude lower than that required and the aircraft was not recovered before impact with terrain.

Other factors that increased risk

• The pilot conducted low-level flight and aerobatic manoeuvres despite not holding the appropriate authorisations, significantly increasing the risk of an accident.

• The pilot used non-prescribed medication and herbal supplements without informing their doctor and Designated Aviation Medical Examiner, removing a protection against pilot incapacitation.

• Uncertified and unauthorised maintenance was carried out on VH-JDZ, which increased the risk that a technical issue would affect the safety of the aircraft and those on board.

• Industry interpretation of the regulations regarding the maintenance of amateur-built experimental aircraft was varied, increasing risk associated with the maintenance of those aircraft.

Other findings

• The front seat buckles were found unsecured and, although unable to be determined if they were not secured correctly as part of the standard pre-flight preparation for solo flight, or they may have undone as a consequence of the impact sequence, any insecurity during aerobatic manoeuvres has implications for flight control fouling.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 2

Just read the report. Amazing! Over 20 hours aerobatic instruction and still no endorsement but decided to do solo low level aerobatics. Basic aerobatic training done in high performance Pitts aircraft. A bit like training for your first race in a 2 seat Formula 1 car. There would have to be a case for a pilot to have to hold a basic aerobatic rating to fly solo in some high performance aircraft such as the Pitts. There is very little reason other than aeros to fly them.

• Agree 1

Lot of unrelated (re the accident) comment about maintenance etc. Not enough height is the prime problem but there could be other factors.

Lesson. With anything you do make sure there is enough height (+ some ) to recover if it goes pear shaped. There are plenty of combinations of attitude and airspeed and height where you just cannot recover to stay above the ground, no matter how good you are.

These planes are STRONG, and you can stress them without much fear of structural failure. Most of "our" planes are lightly built, by comparison and consideration of airframe loads must be constantly addressed This related to rough air. Just don't do aeros in planes not built for it. It's not fair to the next persons who fly it either.

Vertigo, disorientation. Not unusual, in these circumstances. More likely if you are NOT flying and the person flying is not doing it well. (Instructors have to put up with this often in aero training). When you are doing the flying it's much less likely to be as severe (the Nausea). Sometimes it will come upon you after landing. Walk around and breathe deeply. If you are feeling really crook go near a tap, tickle your throat and get it over with. Wash your mouth (and nose) out with water.

WE are losing a lot of aerobatic planes. Some good pilots too. It's a bit the nature of it but also being careful and maintaining safety margins for error is needed when you are learning and don't operate above your skill and experience level. It's not a bad report so reading it carefully is worthwhile. Nev

• Like 1

I'd argue the prime problem was attempting aerobatic manoeuvres he hadn't been trained and assessed to competency in and which, when botched, can have significant ramifications.

It's quite conceivable that he still might have spun it in from 8000ft, given that in his last training report he was unable to recover from a deliberate inverted spin under instruction and was considered not ready for solo aeros.

Lack of height sure didn't help though.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

Certainly a wake up call for all of us - exceeding in some instances both our own and the aircrafts capabilities.

After brief a discussion here, a comment was made regarding police releasing their findings on fatal road accidents to drivers. Would it make us/them aware of possible dangerous situations we could encounter on the road. Mmm just thinking ....

Sad to read about the loss of life and any aircraft accident. Thanks for sharing as its started a valuable discussion here on neutralizing and pushing that rudder pedal that's on pressure.

I'd argue the prime problem was attempting aerobatic manoeuvres he hadn't been trained and assessed to competency in and which, when botched, can have significant ramifications.It's quite conceivable that he still might have spun it in from 8000ft, given that in his last training report he was unable to recover from a deliberate inverted spin under instruction and was considered not ready for solo aeros.

Lack of height sure didn't help though.

"he" but it's your plane? someone else was flying it?

• Caution 1

^^Wot Windsor said. There were two Pitts Model 12s flying in the Cessnock-Maitland area that day. Now there is only one which is mine, though as an aside there is one which flew some years back and is now in relative disrepair at Luskintyre in the corner of a dusty hangar, and there is one being built in Perth which I'm sure will fly within the next year or 2.

I didn't know there had been an accident until my phone started continually ringing. However, I was familiar with that particular aircraft and its original builder and I knew someone had bought it and was being trained to fly it somewhere nearby. I don't think for his experience level and background it was ever a wise purchase, but it's a free world.

The cockpit photos in the report are of my fully intact and serviceable Model 12 in the hangar, with my grotty Redback boots on the rudder pedals. I didn't realise they planned to ask me to sit in it to demo the controls and seating. Had I realised they were going to publish them in the final report, I would've dressed better that day! It was an interesting day. The investigators were tight lipped about what they had found at the time, understandably, but were quite pleasant to chat to. They were interested in my opinions of low time pilots in high performance aircraft, the flight characteristics of the aircraft, and a few other things. We chatted and I showed them around the plane for a couple of hours.

It was from that visit that they determined an un-soloed front seat harness could potentially foul the rudders, however my opinion is that it likely had no bearing on the end result.

• Informative 4

As mate said to me when I was doing a preflight walk around the aircraft looking looking for reason not go flying Neil

When he had said this to me a couple of times it finaly dawned on me what he ment

Another remark of his was is the head ahead of the plane today Neil

On reading what happened and the findings the person in my opinion should not have had his head in that plane

Neil