Vale Bob Hoover

Worth while taking a little time and reading those testimonials. In a shameful; episode the FAA or whoever does these things in the US cancelled his licence because of his age, and particularly suggested his routine was a practiced rather than skills demonstration, in justifying it. An outrageous suggestion if you have ever witnessed his very skillful engine(s) out aerobatic routine which ends up with him taxiing and parking the plane on a spot using nothing but the aircraft's momentum. This was back in the 90's and he therefore couldn't do his routine at Avalon in Australia at the airshow, unlicenced, but courageously a DCA employee, FOI, Barry Diamond issued him with an Australian licence. This made a big impression on Bob. I would be interested if that licence is "framed" somewhere. A seriously nice person and great pilot. Nev

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Informative 1

Worth while taking a little time and reading those testimonials. In a shameful; episode the FAA or whoever does these things in the US cancelled his licence because of his age, and particularly suggested his routine was a practiced rather than skills demonstration, in justifying it. An outrageous suggestion if you have ever witnessed his very skillful engine(s) out aerobatic routine which ends up with him taxiing and parking the plane on a spot using nothing but the aircraft's momentum. This was back in the 90's and he therefore couldn't do his routine at Avalon in Australia at the airshow, unlicenced, but courageously a DCA employee, FOI, Barry Diamond issued him with an Australian licence. This made a big impression on Bob. I would be interested if that licence is "framed" somewhere. A seriously nice person and great pilot. Nev

Nev: It is indeed a ridiculous claim to say that his routine was "practiced" rather than "skills". For a start, practice is what creates "skill" and for seconds, I'd like to ask that peanut if he ever asked any other aerobatic pilot whether they just went up and did aero routines without "practicing" first! A very tissue thin excuse for a*se covering by a bureaucrat if ever I saw one.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

One of the best the world will ever see in aviation circles

True legend of aviation and I could only wish to achieve 1/20th of what he did in aviation

Great innings Bob only wish you could have been around for another 94 years

RIP Bob Hoover wherever you now may be

• Agree 5

It would be impossible to do that routine without constantly reassessing your position and using "judgement " all along the way. He did it at different aerodromes with different lengths , winds and taxiways etc.. Nev

• Agree 2

Only last night I was looking at a photo of myself with Bob, he was signing my log book.

So lucky to have witnessed his Aero Comander "managed energy" routine at Sky RaceTasmania.

Blue Skies Forever.

Rest in Peace

R W

Edit posted at the same time as Marty D

Great minds think alike.

• Agree 1

Scott, I think there was a reference to co-ordination, which is again ridiculous. USA had just decided to have an absolute limit of age 60 on ATPL pilots regardless of their actual physical and mental condition. I suspect the motives of younger pilots were to get rid of the older ones to improve their promotion prospects. Nev