Checklists and procedures

Or a DC10 crashing because of a U/C indicator bulb being checked. with 3 crew up front. Nev

DC10? Are you thinking of the 1011 flight 701 at Miami.

I always knew there was a reason not to bet your life on a 20 cent light bulb or buzzer.

Chas

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have often wondered why 'hatches' and 'harness' are in a downwind checklist - unless something happened like a passenger vacating the plane (which should have been noticed and remembered) ....................

I guess 'hatches' and 'harness' could always be there in case of a force landing checklist ? (crack the doors and safety belts firm ?)

I have often wondered why 'hatches' and 'harness' are in a downwind checklist - unless something happened like a passenger vacating the plane (which should have been noticed and remembered) ....................I guess 'hatches' and 'harness' could always be there in case of a force landing checklist ? (crack the doors and safety belts firm ?)

I did a lot of my early flying in a Gazelle and although a delightful plane it's door latches are not the best. It really did make sense to check whilst downwind that the latch had not vibrated towards the open position.

I have to admit that I have not read most of this thread so perhaps I am going over old ground.

I am not giving advice to anyone merely stating what I do.

A few points to consider are that we don't all own our own aircraft, I hire from a flying school and they have their preferred starting procedure each of their aircraft and I am happy to comply with that.

Although many RA aircraft are simple the upper end of the fleet does have lots of electronics to deal with.

I usually fly once a fortnight sometime more sometimes less.

Now let me say this LOUD an CLEAR, I am able to do this from memory (with about 2 or 3 lapses over 300 hours) After engine start I do not race straight off, I take a couple of minutes to review the steps and make sure I have done everything.

Whilst waiting for the engine to warm up and before mag checks I will review again the state of the aircraft, for instance so often the fuel computer does not match the actual amount measured by dipping (because the previous pilot did not input the actual fuel amount.)

Before entering the runway I will read out my EFATO plan (yes I can do this from memory but reading it for me reinforces it). Before entering the runway the list is stowed. The circuit is not the place for a written checklist.

After leaving the circuit for a x country as well as flight planning tasks I have a short list which is basically, am I and my aircraft prepared for a long flight, this is another reminder to ensure I have enough fuel (although I do this before the flight also) is the aircraft performing correctly, have I done those things which I should have done earlier, I know I retracted the flaps but no harm in reconfirming that.

One of the errors I once made was not turning off the fuel boost which remained on for the whole flight. I was sure I had done it but again no harm in having a prompt to double check.

It is not unusual for an aircraft to arrive in the circuit transmitting on the wrong frequency because they either forgot to change the frequency or incorrectly remembered the frequency.

Again not trying to tell anyone how to fly but this works for me and does not detract from situational awareness (not done in the circuit and done on x country flight as part of the usual log keeping.)

I await my harsh judgment:oh yeah:

• Haha 1

Harness should be checked fastened and adjusted prior to landing especially if it's a forced landing off strip. It's too late to tighten it when you invert, or stop suddenly having hit something hard. (like a tree). Some of this stuff is a hang over from when you opened the cockpit a bit to get cool air in, in- flight. Many taxi with canopy open also and (I believe a few forget to close it) as do Drifter pilots leave their helmet visor up). People also leave the gust lock engaged although there are many chances to have checked that. You usually only do that one ONCE..Nev

Some of these seat belts are not readily adjustable - you can't easily tighten them up a notch if you find yourself doing a forced landing

They can be adjusted ................... but best adjusted on the ground prior to engine start

Perhaps they aren't really suitable for the job then. While I don't believe one should ever take the belt off unless moving about the cabin, keeping it very tight in flight might be a bit uncomfortable. It is necessary to tighten the belt a lot in severe turbulence and If forced landing or doing aeros. Nev

• Agree 2

There was a Jabiru crashed at Aldinga (south of Adelaide) where the student accidentally turned off the fuel while doing his pre-take-off checks.He had been taught to touch the control as he did the check. I used to think this was a good idea, but now I don't know if the check actually helped cause the crash or not.

There was a Jabiru crashed at Aldinga (south of Adelaide) where the student accidentally turned off the fuel while doing his pre-take-off checks.He had been taught to touch the control as he did the check. I used to think this was a good idea, but now I don't know if the check actually helped cause the crash or not.

Same thing with carb heat. They dont act

Same with carb heat. No good just putting your hand on it.

Chas

• Agree 1