Checklists and procedures

The use and reliance on written checklists in simple single pilot aircraft seems to have gotten out of hand!

The last thing a pilot should be doing in the circuit at a busy non-towered airport is going head down to read a dumb checklist!

If a checklist is considered really necessary it should only contain things that will embarrass or kill you. I think there are a lot of flying schools using amplified operating procedures as checklists, pilots should learn the procedures using flow patterns or pneumonics.

This article by John Lamming is excellent

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A checklist is not supposed to be used to initiate actions, but to confirm they have all been done (as a follow up). Relate actions to your situation. (Situational awareness) eg.What should I be doing at this stage of the flight? Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

A checklist is not supposed to be used to initiate actions, but to confirm they have all been done (as a follow up). Relate actions to your situation. (Situational awareness) eg.What should I be doing at this stage of the flight? Nev

Nev, I agree, but that's not what is being taught now. If you watch any of the multitude of videos being posted on social media of pilots under training they're using written "do-lists". As you say it has potential to reduce situational awareness. The governing bodies seem to be pushing this line. I find it's best to use a flow, system groups or pneumonic to accomplish the procedure, then review using a check list. That way you can jump from type to type without any issues.

Perhaps we will soon fly by reading a book and doing everything as you read it. IF the plane catches fire in flight you won't be pulling out a checklist. If you do you are wasting precious time. The advantage of a simple plane is it's simple. A generic checklist covers 90% of all basic planes and is easy to learn. Worse than dumbing down is unnecessary complexity. Leave that for the Jumbo jets, where there's other crew to read out and check actions as applicable and follow SOP's. (standard operating procedures). Nev

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Yep that sort of written checklist has got to be for 2 pilot planes.

Speaking for myself, I find it very easy to omit an item because the checklist is automatic and it can take place with the brain in neutral.

One "cure" for this I know is to touch the item in question as you say the checks. But there was a Jabiru written off when the student-pilot trained to do this touch thing turned the fuel "off" during his pre-take-off check .

• Agree 1

Good topic of discussion. You stumbled on my previous area of expertise here, which was checklist and procedure design and philosophy in the RAAF. I got assigned the job as part of the introduction of a new aircraft type and had to quickly gather together all the research I could (which included everything up to and including checklist typography research from NASA) because the manufacturer's checklists we got were atrocious and actually very time-consuming and error prone. I re-wrote pretty much the whole lot - that was in 1998 - and just the other day someone told me they're still using my checklists on that aircraft.

As far as Laming's article goes, he does have some valid points......but also I might add that just because they did something during the war, doesn't mean it is a good thing. Example: they had zero CRM and human factors training during the war and in the post-war years. Only after hundreds of senseless and stupid passenger deaths did we finally think "you know, we might need to train pilots a bit differently here".

"Checklists" vs "Do-lists"

"Do-lists" are like an old style checklist. They are less common these days, but basically every single item, procedure, flick of a switch, is read from a list, then the applicable person performs the action. These are time-consuming and more suited to a multi-crew environment. The problem is that they are less reliable than a checklist which is a safety summary and is performed after the procedures are all done and does not require any action to be carried out. This might seem counter-intuitive, but if you are relying on reading an action from a list and then executing that action, you only get one chance. If you accidentally skip that item on the list then it is missed forever, unless it is checked in a subsequent checklist.

However where a "do-list" can be useful is where you are just learning the procedures and checks, to get familiar with the order of everything. They can also be useful when written in a highly abbreviated form, because you're not bombarded with text telling you how to do it, but it serves more as a "cue".

A true "checklist" is designed to check that all essential items for that phase of flight have been completed. So the procedures have already been done - the gear is down, the flaps are set, etc, and the checklist just reinforces that everything is as it should be. Thus you actually get two chances to get the safety critical stuff right: the first is doing it in the procedural flow, and the second is when the checklist is read. Non-essential items (those things which should be done but won't kill you or hurt the plane if they're accidentally omitted) are not included in a true checklist. For example "strobes - off" after landing would be non-essential. Not going to kill you and won't hurt anything but your pride if you have them flicking all the way to parking.

Doing a true checklist, you end up with an expanded form and an abbreviated form. The expanded form in the POH shows in detail all the procedures you do for that phase. The abbreviated form, which actually becomes the "checklist", is a brief summary of only the critical items.

Carrying checklists

On all military and commercial aircraft I have ever flown including the single seaters, we have been required to carry the abbreviated checklist in some form, whether it be in your pocket, or one which stays in the plane. On the single seaters, we did not refer to it for normal procedures because it's just not physically practical, but it was to be carried anyway. However in some abnormal circumstances, you certainly could refer to it. On the multi-crew aircraft it was always referred to, from day 1.

What works on small planes?

In a sense it depends how often you fly. We forget procedures over time. In the commercial world where you're flying often, you'll almost never forget them. But go on long service leave or annual leave, come back and see how you do. After coming back from extended leave I once sat there on a B767 after the 2nd engine was started, brain in neutral after my holiday, thinking silently "now I have an automatic procedural flow to do here but for the life of me I can't remember where I start!" The other pilot knew exactly what was happening, turned at me, and said "start with the APU". Light bulb goes off and from then I was fine and started flicking the switches all in the right order! This is the consequence of having time off.

Flow versus Mnemonics

Humans are always seeking visual patterns and our brains are very good at remembering them. This is why "flow" procedures work well. The classic is the before start "left to right" cockpit checks which is common on a lot of aircraft. I use flows in my small plane wherever possible, including before takeoff. Some people prefer name-mnemonics but personally I find them a pain unless they're very short. There's not a lot to remember in a procedural flow (given that simply looking at or touching something you usually know what to do with it). With mnemonics I still have to remember what the letter stands for, it can take me zig-zagging all over the place so it's easy to lose my spot, and if the mnemonic is a long one, it often doesn't form any sort of sensible word in the first place! However some people work well with them so it's dealer's choice really.

If you don't fly often, having an abbreviated checklist to check the important items have been done prior to entering the next phase of flight is not such a bad thing. If you fly the same aircraft regularly, you probably don't need that. I have the abbreviated ground checks on a laminated card. I don't have to refer to them, but they're there if I feel the need to. The important stuff is placarded as an abbreviated checklist on the instrument panel. You'll note that the Before Takeoff checklist is 7 items long. These are done in a procedural flow from left to right then front to back. The expanded version is also 7 items long but with sub-paras giving a more detailed description of things. Missing any of those 7 items could end up hurting me or the plane. I don't have strobes etc, but if I did, these would be omitted from the checklist and simply done as procedural items. I could probably have omitted the "After T/O" and "After LDG" stuff because the boost pump can be left running indefinitely, and the transponder is not immediately flight safety critical. But I had the space, so it's there. If I didn't have the space, I would've left those items off.

Placards.jpg.a1ae47ba9ba1d5deac8bf86706fdd11e.jpg

• Like 6
  • Informative 4

I will try and find and post the pic (don't have time now to find of the dash mounted flip plastic checklist (had up to 10 things from memory ) that was brilliant, and a flying school was using many, many years ago. This was for TAKE OFF and LANDING for small aircraft including retract landing gear.

You flicked the plastic named tab to confirm EACH action - simple - with no error for stuff ups - and your head up and outside and not looking at your knees in the circuit .

Slide or flick tab works otherwise you have to remember "unchecked" items, which you have elected to delay because of circumstances that are "not normal". Not a normal situation gets people out of flow (sequence) where errors take place. I've seen numerous people "sing off" the checklist word perfect to the "N"th degree but not notice that there was no hydraulic pressure or quantity or other configuration or correct indicating light situation. THIS can happen to people who do it every day, and are very familiar with the plane. Perhaps too much.

An Instructor may fly 5 types of plane in any one day. A reasonably inclusive generic list learned straight out can work for a lifetime as backup for emergency situations where the list takes too much time, and be reassuring in any situation. Better still is a type specific "essential items " list. All pilots should know the emergency items in any situation from memory, for the plane they are flying.. Nev

• Like 2
  • More 1

" I find it's best to use a flow, system groups or pneumonic to accomplish the procedure, then review using a check list."

You want more than one list, or is it three!

a flow list,

a pneumonic list,

then read (review) the last "check" list.

I think I would need to have all three list's printed on a large "A3" as a memory aid.

spacesailor

• Helpful 1

I agree with Nev, that check lists are generic, almost universal, regardless of the aircraft.

My wife and I were embarking on a helicopter flight out of Port Douglas to a sand spit on the reef, quite an adventure. The pilot, he looked to be at least 14, began his check list, which I automatically joined in on "hatches and harnesses".

The pilot laughed, and asked did I fly.

I answered "yes" , explained my experience, and as a result, we had a flight a little better than the usual.

The checked list differed, but was easily recognisable in relation to intent.

• Winner 1

" I find it's best to use a flow, system groups or pneumonic to accomplish the procedure, then review using a check list."You want more than one list, or is it three!

a flow list,

a pneumonic list,

then read (review) the last "check" list.

I think I would need to have all three list's printed on a large "A3" as a memory aid.

spacesailor

I don't use all three, I'm suggesting these are a few methods to help recall what needs be done. Any written checklist for simple singles would contain very little, before takeoff maybe something like:

- flaps

- trim

- fuel

I like the guy that had his wife do all the checks and confirmed wheels down. Then of course he went flying without her a crashed wheels up. No Joke.

Simple if you fly one type of aircraft all the time you should have your own mnemonic like this example for ga

The checklist

Many of the steps in the pre-landing checklist are double-checks to eliminate the possibility of unexpected failure of the aircraft. Other steps convert the aircraft from a configuration that is optimised for economical flight to one that is safe for landing. Since landing is the most dangerous stage of a flight, it is important to be pre-warned if an engine failure may be likely to occur or to deal with any problem at this point.

The checklist of actions is given below in its most complete possible form.

O-B-U-M-M-M-P-F-F-I-T-C-H-H

• O - Open carburettor heater

• B - Brakes free

• U - Undercarriage down and locked

• M - Mixtures

• M - Magnetos

• M - Master switch

• P - Propeller Pitch

• F - Fuel

• F - Flaps

• I - Instruments

• T - Temperatures and Pressures

• C - Close carburettor heat

• H - Hatches or doors

• H - Harnesses

AND others available to be used as required for you flying and aircraft type.

Cross Country Preflight Information: RAW FAT

Runway lengths

Alternate airports

Weather and Weight / Balances

Fuel requirements

ATC or Radio calls

Takeoff and landing distance data



Engine Runup and Ground Check: CIGARS

Controls Check

Instruments Set

Fuel amount and in total mins flying

Attitude (flaps, trim, etc.)

Runup

Seat, belts, doors Secured



Engine Failure: PL(ease) START

Pitch best glide

Landing site

Seat belts

Troubleshoot

Approach

Radios

Touchdown Configuration



Engine Restart: Gotta Mechanic Comin'; I'm Pissed

Fuel

Mixture or tank left or right

Carburetor Heat

Ignition

Primer / choke off

Spin Recovery: PEARS

Power Idle

Elevator Forward

Ailerons Neutral

Rudder Opposite

Smoothly Recover

• Like 1

My questions on the above 14 letter name-mnemonic for a landing checklist (on any aircraft) would be:

• Why are you checking your magnetos and master switch before landing? If they were on in your before takeoff checks, and your engine and systems are presumably running fine, why would they now be off, and how would they attain that position without you knowing about it?

• I don't understand why you'd open and then close the carburettor heat shortly afterwards. Is there a reason for that?

• What is gained by checking "instruments" immediately before landing? Which ones, what are you looking for, and what are the safety implications?

There are a couple of others I'm dubious of, but these are the main ones. If this is actually a landing checklist then it seems rather extravagant to me with a number of things which are not vital safety checks or which are doubling up for no good reason.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

dangerous indeed

Ooooh yeah I didn't even notice that! I applied elevator once as I fell out of a stall turn in my Pitts into the incipient phase (trying to outsmart myself) and promptly entered an accelerated inverted spin!

Step 2 is the dangerous bit. You don't do that before you oppose the yaw.

• Agree 2

PARE?

Power - idle

Aileron - neutral

Rudder - opposite to direction of rotation (assuming that had been identified)

Elevator - as required (upright/inverted)

Smoothly recover from the dive as soon as roars toon stops

Maybe the word sounded ok, but wrong spelling?

Not how I do it, but....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have been flying for 50 yrs and did not know all those things existed.

At least if its not on the list it cannot happen.

If you cannot do basic checks without a list you should not be solo.

We saw this start to happen in Japan in the 70s and gasped.

How do you think the guys topdressing in a

DC3 all day off rough strips get on.

Just dont run out of gas.

Chas NZ

Physical check lists have no place in the cockpit of a single pilot, simple, light aircraft.

The proven method is to read/study the manufacturers Pilots Notes (which may include lists) for the type. Then, sit in the cockpit and find everything, and then, fly it.

Physical check lists are a potentially fatal, head in the cockpit, distraction.

Why any pilot would want to ruin the fun of operating an aircraft by fiddling with endless lists, is, I admit, beyond me.

The use of check lists in the light aircraft environment promotes rigid unresponsive piloting.

• Agree 2

Interesting and (obviously) very important subject, with some great info and comments, I thought.

And as someone who likes patterns and structures, but struggles with 'random' memory tasks (eg foreign language vocabulary "learn these 100 words by next week") I have a special interest.

I would guess the varying views and comments indicate that one size does not fit all.

I will be returning to this thread when my build is done, and putting together what works best for me.

Physical check lists have no place in the cockpit of a single pilot, simple, light aircraft.The proven method is to read/study the manufacturers Pilots Notes (which may include lists) for the type. Then, sit in the cockpit and find everything, and then, fly it.

Physical check lists are a potentially fatal, head in the cockpit, distraction.

Why any pilot would want to ruin the fun of operating an aircraft by fiddling with endless lists, is, I admit, beyond me.

The use of check lists in the light aircraft environment promotes rigid unresponsive piloting.

I'm not saying you "must" have a physical checklist in a small aircraft, If you have fixed gear, no flaps, limited engine controls, even nothing much in the way of conventional flight controls, a written checklist may be unnecessary.

However not all light aircraft are like that and a lot of the above demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of checklist principles and human factors (our imperfect memory being one). This is human factors stuff which has been studied by NASA and other professional organisations, and originally came about in 1935 after the loss of an aircraft doing a demonstration flight when the highly experienced test pilot forgot to release the control lock.

There is nothing "potentially fatal head in the cockpit distraction" about a before takeoff checklist. You're not even off the ground yet. However if you use one, a placard in easy line of sight is preferable and common sense dictates it is done with the aircraft stationary, at the runup bay being ideal. Again, a brief placarded before landing checklist of safety critical items only (like gear etc) to confirm they have been done is no more distracting that actually glancing at your speed and altitude, or engine instruments to confirm that they are showing what you want.

And how exactly does checking safety critical items off a list promote "rigid unresponsive piloting"? In fact what actually is that?

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

My two most basic aircraft were the Tyro and the Swing Wing but I still did a verbal check list as if I was flying a Beechcraft A36, it just about covered any aircraft that I was liable to fly and

I never forgot the list.

Alan.

• Agree 1