Dash board templates for Savannah S

rmorton

Pretty much as per the title I am looking for a template for the latest Savannah dash to see what arrangement of gizmos is possible. Either a dimensioned drawing or a cad file would be wonderful. Are there any hidden limits such as struts and supports?

Many thanks

Richard

• 4 weeks later...
Pretty much as per the title I am looking for a template for the latest Savannah dash to see what arrangement of gizmos is possible. Either a dimensioned drawing or a cad file would be wonderful. Are there any hidden limits such as struts and supports?Many thanks

Richard

Not sure where you are, but the easiest way is to have a look at another Savannah and check it out. I am at Gawler in SA if that is any help. I have a plywood template and could mark the supports on it. Otherwise I could make a drawing if you cannot find a Savannah to inspect. John

Not sure where you are, but the easiest way is to have a look at another Savannah and check it out. I am at Gawler in SA if that is any help. I have a plywood template and could mark the supports on it. Otherwise I could make a drawing if you cannot find a Savannah to inspect. John

Thanks for the offer John. I am in France near to Geneva, I am off to order the kit from the factory in a couple of weeks and wanted to see if they could cut the dash to suit my choice of instruments. It is a little chicken and egg without the size of the dash to see what can fit and how to arrange it. I could still use a basic hand sketch with dimensions. Again thank you.

• Agree 1

Hello Richard;

These pictures might be of some help. The first pair are the original support and console which came with my 2010 Sav VG XL Kit - these parts became damaged and were replaced. The kit was ordered with the stock instrument package (except radio). The pre-cut openings were 3 1/8" for the Tach/Hobbs, Alt, VSI and IAS; 2 1/4" for the slip indicator, fuel pressure and radio and 2" for oil temp, oil pressure, voltmeter, outside/abx switchable temp and two cylinderHead temp gauges. I used the "extra" hole to mount an airworthiness plaque required in Canada.

(2).JPG.de65366434033a613c9c2e4a381588d4.JPG

After the original support and console were damaged, I ordered replacements (using the same part numbers) and the next picture shows the parts I received. The last picture illustrates how I re-arranged my console during the repair. I bored a 2" hole where the rectangular Trim Switch was to be and re-cut an opening for it on the left side of the panel. I believe these are the "new" type of panels supplied as stock - they permit removal of the instrument cluster without disturbing the throttles, the choke, carb heated air control, ignition switch etc. It caused me some angst at first because I was looking for a "bolt-in" replacement part, but I acknowledge it is an improvement over my original setup and I was able to re-use all the original instruments by mounting the plaque in a 2 1/4" hole rather that a 2" hole as on the original.

(4).JPG.7801361c9bd778cfd33bbf29484a3fa4.JPG

Perhaps all this can be of some help. All the best, Season's Greetings;

Canada Dan

(1).JPG.9911799a52e64eb8ceeac8fbc2214702.JPG

(3).jpg.80a3641eac70371800b02eefd7052705.jpg

Hello Richard;These pictures might be of some help. The first pair are the original support and console which came with my 2010 Sav VG XL Kit - these parts became damaged and were replaced. The kit was ordered with the stock instrument package (except radio). The pre-cut openings were 3 1/8" for the Tach/Hobbs, Alt, VSI and IAS; 2 1/4" for the slip indicator, fuel pressure and radio and 2" for oil temp, oil pressure, voltmeter, outside/abx switchable temp and two cylinderHead temp gauges. I used the "extra" hole to mount an airworthiness plaque required in Canada.

[ATTACH]47266[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]47267[/ATTACH]

After the original support and console were damaged, I ordered replacements (using the same part numbers) and the next picture shows the parts I received. The last picture illustrates how I re-arranged my console during the repair. I bored a 2" hole where the rectangular Trim Switch was to be and re-cut an opening for it on the left side of the panel. I believe these are the "new" type of panels supplied as stock - they permit removal of the instrument cluster without disturbing the throttles, the choke, carb heated air control, ignition switch etc. It caused me some angst at first because I was looking for a "bolt-in" replacement part, but I acknowledge it is an improvement over my original setup and I was able to re-use all the original instruments by mounting the plaque in a 2 1/4" hole rather that a 2" hole as on the original.

[ATTACH]47268[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]47269[/ATTACH]

Perhaps all this can be of some help. All the best, Season's Greetings;

Canada Dan

Hi Dan

thank you that is very useful I had read about the new panel arrangement but not seen one before. I am toying with the idea of either an Avmap based system or MGL's efis. What I might do is order a spare blank panel or cut one for myself and make up two options. Is the original square cut out for the trim indicator, or the switch? It isn't clear what comes with the kit as they offer an LED trim indicator as a rather expensive add on. Your phot of the cockpit waiting for the instruments looks a little scary in terms of wiring but I guess all makes sense when you actually put it together.

I like the carbon finish to your panel, is that a vinyl wrap or did you really cover in carbon?

Many thanks for the post

Richard

Hi Danthank you that is very useful I had read about the new panel arrangement but not seen one before. I am toying with the idea of either an Avmap based system or MGL's efis. What I might do is order a spare blank panel or cut one for myself and make up two options. Is the original square cut out for the trim indicator, or the switch? It isn't clear what comes with the kit as they offer an LED trim indicator as a rather expensive add on. Your phot of the cockpit waiting for the instruments looks a little scary in terms of wiring but I guess all makes sense when you actually put it together.

I like the carbon finish to your panel, is that a vinyl wrap or did you really cover in carbon?

Many thanks for the post

Richard

Hi again;

The rectangular cut-out holds both the rocker switch and the LED indicator side by side. Those were supplied with my kit in 2010 but I purchased one of the last Savannah kits that Eric Giles sold before moving to another line of aircraft. (He previously owned "SkyKits" and now owns "World Aircraft Company".) Mine was a kit that he had on hand. I didn't even ask if was a basic kit or if there were any options.

Don't let the mess in the picture deter you - that was during disassembly to remove the bent support and I had removed every zip tie. The wiring is time consuming but working one circuit at a time simplifies everything and when it is all tied up with a red bow, it is neat and tidy. This is how it looked after reassembly:

934279326_201607(12).JPG.98e21109453a1bce438275ac3264de96.JPG

The "carbon fiber" is automotive-grade adhesive vinyl.

All the best; I think you'll be very happy with the Savannah - don't expect to get it assembled in 200 - 400 hours though!

Dan

• Helpful 2

Hi again;The rectangular cut-out holds both the rocker switch and the LED indicator side by side. Those were supplied with my kit in 2010 but I purchased one of the last Savannah kits that Eric Giles sold before moving to another line of aircraft. (He previously owned "SkyKits" and now owns "World Aircraft Company".) Mine was a kit that he had on hand. I didn't even ask if was a basic kit or if there were any options.

Don't let the mess in the picture deter you - that was during disassembly to remove the bent support and I had removed every zip tie. The wiring is time consuming but working one circuit at a time simplifies everything and when it is all tied up with a red bow, it is neat and tidy. This is how it looked after reassembly:

[ATTACH=full]47280[/ATTACH]

The "carbon fiber" is automotive-grade adhesive vinyl.

All the best; I think you'll be very happy with the Savannah - don't expect to get it assembled in 200 - 400 hours though!

Dan

What a difference a day makes! That is a very neat installation and it all looks very spacious under there. I am considering either the Avmap system including 7" display with separate efis and engine monitor, the MGL 8.5" lite box that seems to do everything or if money becomes no option the Dynon skyview in 8.5" (but this option is very confusing and seems to need lots of "extras" to get close to the MGL. In addition to the minimum altimeter, airspeed etc I will have a Trig radio and Transponder (already being prepared) and possibly a seperate clock/timer from MGL. The flaps will be the Flybox switch and actuator. It is all very confusing and I am not really sure about the "additional" bits that link it all together. Still good fun and passes the time whilst I await the kit :)

• 1 month later...
That's what I had to choose from.Kind a like the open space in version 00-1.pdf

Thanks for those files! I didn't get the option as such. I can pay 250 euros for a layout designed for a Samsung iPad thing...

too bad, you had to pay for a personalised panel design...

I havn't had spend to much time at the final design, but I wanted a tablet in the middle. So I was happy the had a nice standard cockpit in stock.

Nice panel, do yourself a big favour already now, buy a McFarlane throttle handle if you're going with one sided throttle handle, will make everything so much better.

What a difference a day makes! That is a very neat installation and it all looks very spacious under there. I am considering either the Avmap system including 7" display with separate efis and engine monitor, the MGL 8.5" lite box that seems to do everything or if money becomes no option the Dynon skyview in 8.5" (but this option is very confusing and seems to need lots of "extras" to get close to the MGL. In addition to the minimum altimeter, airspeed etc I will have a Trig radio and Transponder (already being prepared) and possibly a seperate clock/timer from MGL. The flaps will be the Flybox switch and actuator. It is all very confusing and I am not really sure about the "additional" bits that link it all together. Still good fun and passes the time whilst I await the kit :)

I have full Mgl efis system, it's cheaper but it's simpler in all ways, more basic, it's like buying a PC instead of Mac.

Nice panel, do yourself a big favour already now, buy a McFarlane throttle handle if you're going with one sided throttle handle, will make everything so much better.

Can you explane?

I have double steering. So I was thinking about using one trottle handle in the middle instead of two.

Can you explane?I have double steering. So I was thinking about using one trottle handle in the middle instead of two.

ICP throttle version of just bad, balancing problems, uneven throttle, go with a single throttle with dual cables out for rotax, I love the vernier function to.

I can't remember if I read it on here or on the Facebook page, but someone had made their own brackets for the throttle lever arm to help remove the slop in the original system. The Macfarlane system looks very good, but you are paying for a certified bit of kit.

You can have too much crap in the dash too so you need to think about what you really need...not how much money you can spend. I have the 2 Xtremes a Ipad using OZrunways nav software. Avmap EKP V with the AHRS option...I got this at a price I could not say no too but this is why its over on the right as it is just a backup but the instrument I do recommend to have is a analogue ASI. I use mine a lot and it is easy to see in your perifieral vision you dont need to focus on any digits and the lag is very minimal. The ASI is the most important instrument you can have because that will determine your well being. You can see how high you are and you can feel if you are sinking or climbing but at least roughly knowing your speed is I think the most important

Mark

• Helpful 1
  • Informative 1

Hi Mark, I like the keep it simple approach as I am too easily distracted and prefer to look out of the window. I have been looking a t the MGLs either as you have done with two extremes or as the explorer lite. Unfortunately for some reason they dont have a good reputation here and that can have quite an influence in so much as I can't easily get to try one out. The Avmap appears to be well liked and from time to time they seem to have some good "special deals" I missed a recent one with a complete set of thee EKV engine box, and efis for 2500 euros. I am not in a rush at the moment but would like to have ago with a few of the alternatives and if possible decide before I complete the plane. Otherwise I will go with the standard instruments and save my pennies for the future.

• Winner 1

You can have too much crap in the dash too so you need to think about what you really need...not how much money you can spend. I have the 2 Xtremes a Ipad using OZrunways nav software. Avmap EKP V with the AHRS option...I got this at a price I could not say no too but this is why its over on the right as it is just a backup but the instrument I do recommend to have is a analogue ASI. I use mine a lot and it is easy to see in your perifieral vision you dont need to focus on any digits and the lag is very minimal. The ASI is the most important instrument you can have because that will determine your well being. You can see how high you are and you can feel if you are sinking or climbing but at least roughly knowing your speed is I think the most importantMark

Hi Mark what is your view on the combined circuit breakes / toggle switches that aircraft spruce sell. I put them in my build, saves space and they are working without any problems - 14 months 95 hours on. The 2 and 3 amp size were quite a bit more expensive than the 10, 15 & 20 amp ones.

Cheers

Mike

It depends on what you want to do Mike. CB are usually protection for each Buss same as like at home. You have a CB to protect the actual whole circuit not so much individual parts of the circuit. Usually I just fuse individual parts but I do have CB on each power buss in my aircraft there is only 2 buss. All devices attached are fused. If you blow a fuse then more than likely there is a fault. if you have a lower current CB on that device then resetting it into a fault it will just open again so yes they are convienient but not that practical in the overall scheme of things. Then even though I have been doing electronics and radio for 30 years I am still a sparky and that theory still over rules my electronic stuff in my head. The theory is that if a device is faulty and hits the buss hard enough as the fuse blows then the CB will operate but the fault is actually disconnected due to the open use and you can reset the buss to get back your power.

Hi Mark, I have been looking a t the MGLs either as you have done with two extremes or as the explorer lite. Unfortunately for some reason they dont have a good reputation here and that can have quite an influence in so much as I can't easily get to try one out. The Avmap appears to be well liked and from time to time they seem to have some good "special deals" I missed a recent one with a complete set of thee EKV engine box, and efis for 2500 euros. I am not in a rush at the moment but would like to have ago with a few of the alternatives and if possible decide before I complete the plane. Otherwise I will go with the standard instruments and save my pennies for the future.

Its interesting you have that on the MGL stuff. Here in OZ where it is very hot in summers I have not heard of one person using any MGL stuff that has any complaints. I am totally pleased with my Xtremes and the one I use on AHRS has been running around 4 years now in my aircraft. I have updated the firmware a couple of times in it as well. The second unit is about 2 years or so old now and again works perfect all the time and both can been seen easily in direct sunlight on the dispays. The Avmap stuff here is super expensive..good reputation overseas but hardly any in Oz due to the initial costs. I got mine cheap from the shop on this site it was 1200 I think for a top class GPS and the local import agent had a one only left AHRS unit he put a email out about as he was getting out of the Avmap stuff as it wasnt selling and I scored it for 500 bucks so it was all in all a good deal. The AHRS in the Avmap is very touchy though...in touchy I mean it seems to be overly sensitive not sort of smoothed out in its graphical readings. Not a fault just different to what I am used to with the MGL's. Its purely in the aircraft as a backup because the Avmap is self powered with a internal battery that gets charged when it is on in normal operation It will go for around 1 hour if the power ever fails in the aircraft so its a good thing to have

Mark

• 4 weeks later...