Jodel

Yenn

The D18 exhibits all the traits of a real taildragger - if you are not pedalling furiously when you land a groundloop is always on. I always tried to three-point it - much easier than a wheeler. Otherwise they have wonderful flying characteristics - great vision out front (except when taxying). I loved my D18 - it had a 100 hp Rotax which enabled a 100 kt cruise at 5000 rpm - and a fuel burn of 12 l/hr. I only sold it once I had built the Alpi - similar performance and a bit more stable in turbulence.

• Informative 1
  • Caution 1

Flying the Jodel is fairly easy. I pay attention to the balance ball, a lot... Landing is a breeze except in a brisk crosswind, solution? avoid . The speed at which you cross the threshold will govern the type of landing. Calm conditions ? then ultra slow will give you tailwheel first. (40- knots) A little windier then three point if you like, 40knots+ ?.... Anything else then 60 knots (approach, touchdown speed is less) will wheeler it on. This is the easiest to do. I ignore all comments about ground loops and have not yet even come close to one. Do what you have to do to keep it (fairly) straight. Mine is larger (I think) A D11. Almost all approaches are glides....about 60 minus knots.... Over the fence stick coming back steadily and no throttle. ...A pussy cat....Enjoy yourself ... when in doubt faster is safer.

• Haha 1
  • Informative 2

Good to see a Jodel being flown, Yenn. After paddling the Corby you shouldn't have much trouble with a Jodel.

In addition to the above points, one factor that affects ground handling is the toe-in (or out) of the wheels. Since almost all Jodels were built from plans there can be variations in the set of the axles. My D9 had one wheel pretty much parallel to direction of travel and the other noticeably toed in. This contributed to some ground loops early on. After swapping them around I ended up with about the right amount of toe out. Ground handling improved so much I could land on tar in a crosswind without being terrified.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

When first flying one, or in fact a lot of aircraft put a small tailwheel on. A skid is even better if you are not on seal.

This will make it run straight. Also use ailerons on the ground when turning. Not in the way you may have been taught but into the turn.

This puts weight onto the inside main wheel ans assists the turn.

Regarding x/winds the jodel will handle all that you can. Mine is to 20kts.

All are rigged differently and this reflects in how they fly. I can get a D18 stopped easily 300 ft from the fence one up.

Every 20 kilometres excess speed is 200 meters more runway required. Jean Delemontez.

My Decents are usually 50 kts. Slower if short paddock over the fence.

My Diesel Governor D150 is ok at 42 kts.

Have never looked like ground looping one,

but comments about wheel alignment are correct.

Jodels are sensitive to what the air around them is doing. Thats speed and trim wise.

In turbulence they yaw but just leave it alone. Dont chase turbulence with the pole. Minor pressures only and all is well.

Enjoy. Chas NZ

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

As a matter of interest the corby has the same wing section as the D18.

Different layout of course. Keep in mind that in cruise you will only be flying on the inboard section. Slow down or load the frame the rest starts to work.

A varable area wing sort of.

Chas

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

My D18, with a Jabiru motor, is 11 years old now and has over 1000hrs flying time all round NZ. Beautiful in the air but be careful landing, they will ground loop if you get them crossed up on touchdown!

As a matter of interest the corby has the same wing section as the D18.Different layout of course. Keep in mind that in cruise you will only be flying on the inboard section. Slow down or load the frame the rest starts to work.

A varable area wing sort of.

Chas

That's intriguing....

That is true. Also the wing stalls first at the wing root area. Also a good idea. Some think washout is a waste of wing and causes extra drag. I don't agree that is the case. The only times you need 100% of the wing is when there is a high angle of attack. You are then working it at it's maximum. Eg at absolute ceiling, turning sharply or pulling out of a dive with the ground too close, or lifting off a boggy/soft surface, come to mind. Particularly in fast cruise at lower levels you have too much wing. The extra drag under those circumstances wastes fuel. Nev

• Like 1

Flying was a no go. Couldn't get the Subaru with fuel injection and CDI to run properly. Owner thinks it is an injector problem. My knowledge of injected Subies is minimal. It was rough and yesterday after getting injectors cleaned and changing a sooty plug he had it going well.

I got to fly it today, not a bad little plane, not as responsive as the Corby or RV4 but OK.

It had already flown about 6 hours of test flying, but there was absolutely no information gathered as far as I could find out.

Now the owner knows that it stalls at 35 kts with a slight left wing drop, easy to pick up with rudder.

Climbs very well from 40kts upwards and even at 33 deg C it goes up well, took me by surprise and I was at 1000' before I reached the end of gladstone runway. Gentle and steep turns, no problem and as it has no flaps I tried side slipping before I got into the circuit, fairly good.

It definitely needs a proper job of test flying, so that the POH can be of some use.

I wasn't happy with the heel brakes nor the vernier throttle, but that was overcome. A couple of other things were odd and I have suggested remedial work, but all in all a nice aeroplane.

• Like 1

You can't expect it to sideslip easily due wing ends bent up. Bigger wing etc behaves as one would expect it to. How much footroom for you Yenn? Nev

Mine slips beautifully all the way down and the bend in the wing gives excellent ground clearance- especially when ground looping.

Not criticising, but features that promote stability work against doing weird things. The prebent wings are good for doing crosswind landings with LOW wing planes. Stops the aileron hinges getting caught in the Paspalum grass. Nev

• Agree 1

I am very jealous of all your 'ground looping' exploits and very disappointed that in all of my flying including many tail wheel aircraft I have never ground looped so I have not been able to get my 'groundabatics' endorsement. Now that I cannot fly anymore I am having to swing on my trusty Hills Hoist. 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif109_groan.gif.66f71fc85b2fabe1695703d67c904c24.gif.

Alan.

• Like 1

I am very jealous of all your 'ground looping' exploits and very disappointed that in all of my flying including many tail wheel aircraft I have never ground looped so I have not been able to get my 'groundabatics' endorsement. Now that I cannot fly anymore I am having to swing on my trusty Hills Hoist. 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif109_groan.gif.66f71fc85b2fabe1695703d67c904c24.gif.Alan.

You talking to me? "I am very jealous of all your 'ground looping' exploits..."

Where you've gone wrong, Guernsey, is to always taxi into the wind, with wheels toed out and operating the rudder as per granma's instructions.

In order to enjoy the full gamut of groundabatics one must have a deserted airport (preferably with gravel strips). Incorrectly-set main wheels help enormously, as does forgetting the ability of a strong tailwind to flick your tail around while you taxi too fast around a corner.

The most important ingredient is a complete lack of skill, and a sudden memory loss of all preceding taildragger training.

• Like 1