Recreational Aviation Information!

farri

Thanks, that answered my questions in another thread about the types of RA requirements and aircraft. Does it mean that a CTA is definitely out of bounds under all circumstances except emergencies?

What operational and maintenance differences are there between a 19- and a factory made aircraft?

A 19 aircraft can't be used for training (except the builder), can't fly over built areas (best check that) and can't fly into controlled airspace. You can though have just as much fun in them!

• Caution 1

Anyone looking for information on Recreational Aviation, I came across this while doing some research, this morning!Recreational Aviation

There is an error on this site:"Can RA-Aus pilots take passengers?

RA-Aus pilots will need to have done three landings in the past nine months before they take a passenger flying." It is not 9 months as stated, it is 90 days....plus of course passing your passenger endorsement....

• Like 1

A 19 aircraft can't be used for training (except the builder), can't fly over built areas (best check that) and can't fly into controlled airspace. You can though have just as much fun in them!

A 19 registered aircraft can fly over built-up areas, as long as it is radio equipped, at a height of no less than 1000ft AGL and can glide clear of the built up area in case of engine failure.
  • Agree 1

There is an error on this site:"Can RA-Aus pilots take passengers?RA-Aus pilots will need to have done three landings in the past nine months before they take a passenger flying." It is not 9 months as stated, it is 90 days....plus of course passing your passenger endorsement....

Copied and Pasted.

OPERATIONS MANUAL ISSUE 7.1 - AUGUST 2016 ©RAAus Ltd

Group A 3 Axis Group B Weight Shift

GROUP A and B ENDORSEMENTS Endorsements Based on Pilot Qualifications

PASSENGER CARRYING ENDORSEMENT (PAX) 4. In order to carry passengers in a recreational aeroplane a Pilot Certificate holder must hold a Passenger Carrying (PAX) Endorsement, and the aeroplane must meet the requirements of CAO 95.55 or CAO 95.32.

Copied and Pasted.

OPERATIONS MANUAL ISSUE 7.1 - AUGUST 2016 ©RAAus Ltd

Group A 3 Axis Group B Weight Shift

GROUP A and B ENDORSEMENTS Endorsements Based on Pilot Qualifications

PASSENGER CARRYING ENDORSEMENT (PAX) 4. In order to carry passengers in a recreational aeroplane a Pilot Certificate holder must hold a Passenger Carrying (PAX) Endorsement, and the aeroplane must meet the requirements of CAO 95.55 or CAO 95.32.

Yes your PAX endorsement plus at least 3 landings within the last 90 days before the flight you intend to take a passenger.

Copied from the RAA website (https://members.raa.asn.au/pilots/pilot-certificate/endorsements/), I've seen it elsewhere in a more official document too. Not sure if the link will work: "Is an endorsement to permit you to carry a passenger in the aircraft with you – Once you gain this endorsement you are required to complete 3 take-offs and landings in the preceding 90 days in an aeroplane of the same group, type and having the same design features before carrying a passenger."

A 19 registered aircraft can fly over built-up areas, as long as it is radio equipped, at a height of no less than 1000ft AGL and can glide clear of the built up area in case of engine failure.

I think you may be wrong about that. See below from RAAus.

Flight over closely-settled areas

Note: while CAR 262AP uses the term 'built-up area of a city or town', the subordinate 95 series CAOs use the term 'closely-settled area' meaning an 'area in which, because of man-made obstructions such as buildings and vehicles, and the characteristics of the aeroplane; the aeroplane could not be landed without endangering the safety of persons unconnected with the aeroplane or damaging property in the area'.

Flight over closely-settled areas is prohibited to all CAO 95.10 aircraft.

CAO 95.55 subparagraph 1.2 (a), (e) and (h) aircraft [i.e. those with 28-nnnn and 19-nnnn registration] plus CAO 95.32 paragraph 1.3 and 1.4 aircraft [i.e. E-LSA and 51% owner-built powered parachutes and trikes] are – for the purpose of flight over closely-settled areas – all regarded as 'experimental' and may not operate over such areas, unless holding a written authorisation to do so.

• Agree 2

Yes, but when you read CAO 95.55 Sect 5.1(i) it does allow for aircraft under this CAO, and this includes 19 registered aircraft, to operate over built-up areas. Yes, it appears there are are conditions and exceptions...

Yes, but when you read CAO 95.55 Sect 5.1(i) it does allow for aircraft under this CAO, and this includes 19 registered aircraft, to operate over built-up areas. Yes, it appears there are are conditions and exceptions...

I think this is the latest CAO 95.55 Civil Aviation Order 95.55 (Exemption from the provisions of the Civil Aviation Regulations 1988 — certain ultralight aeroplanes) Instrument 2015

Para 5.1 is about licencing, so not sure what you are looking at. It's not easy to read as is usual with CASA legislation but as I said in my earlier post, you can't fly a 19 aircraft over built up areas unless authorized under para 7.5.

Guys, I`ve carefully looked through the RA-Aus ops manual, issue 7.1 and I can`t find any other requirement to the Passenger Carrying Endorsement, other than what is in my above post #9.....Have I missed it or does the minimum requirement of take-offs, no longer apply?....Help!!!

Farri, the currency requirement is a casa part 61 (61.395) requirement for all pilots irregardless of what license organisation they operate under and the RAAus ops manual is their requirement for holding their endorsement. So both apply ... just come from different source requirements.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Farri, the currency requirement is a casa part 61 (61.395) requirement for all pilots irregardless of what license organisation they operate under and the RAAus ops manual is their requirement for holding their endorsement. So both apply ... just come from different source requirements.

Thanks Piet!.... Found it.......There it is guys. Civil Aviation Legislation Amendment Regulation 2013 (No. 1)

61.395 Limitations on exercise of privileges of pilot licences—recent experience

(1) The holder of a pilot licence is authorised to pilot, during take‑off or landing, an aircraft of a particular category carrying a passenger by day only if the holder has, within the previous 90 days, in an aircraft of that category or an approved flight simulator for the purpose, conducted, by day or night:

(a) at least 3 take‑offs; and

(b) at least 3 landings;

while controlling the aircraft or flight simulator

Frank.

• Helpful 1
  • Winner 1

Thanks Piet!.... Found it.......There it is guys. Civil Aviation Legislation Amendment Regulation 2013 (No. 1)61.395 Limitations on exercise of privileges of pilot licences—recent experience

(1) The holder of a pilot licence is authorised to pilot, during take‑off or landing, an aircraft of a particular category carrying a passenger by day only if the holder has, within the previous 90 days, in an aircraft of that category or an approved flight simulator for the purpose, conducted, by day or night:

(a) at least 3 take‑offs; and

(b) at least 3 landings;

while controlling the aircraft or flight simulator

Frank.

I knew it was there somewhere.
  • Like 1

I think this is the latest CAO 95.55 Civil Aviation Order 95.55 (Exemption from the provisions of the Civil Aviation Regulations 1988 — certain ultralight aeroplanes) Instrument 2015Para 5.1 is about licencing, so not sure what you are looking at. It's not easy to read as is usual with CASA legislation but as I said in my earlier post, you can't fly a 19 aircraft over built up areas unless authorized under para 7.5.

Yes, very unclear, but I still suspect that at least some 19 reg aircraft may still fly over built-up areas. Like for instance kit built planes. As you said though, not easy to read....

Thanks Piet!.... Found it.......There it is guys. Civil Aviation Legislation Amendment Regulation 2013 (No. 1)61.395 Limitations on exercise of privileges of pilot licences

So here is another issue!... RA-Aus pilots fly on a Certificate, not a Licence!... Does the limitation apply to RA-Aus pilots?

Frank.

It's not the aircraft landings that count. It's the pilot flying at the time. On pilot can perform the take off and a different one can do the landings. You would need dual controls of course.

Otherwise, yes nobody has lost a plane "up there" yet.

Bouncing it doesn't count as extra landings either. Rather than splitting hairs, I think they mean "circuits" You record the number of landings in the aircraft's log book so it's cross reference verifiable. I guess touch and go's are OK if you are short of cash. Log Circuits Y ABC. Landings 3 You in command. Nev

As far as CASA exemption are concerned they are quite specific. The exemptions for RA-Aus cover the AIRCRAFT until CASR103 and CASR149 become law. Part 61 covers licences, which the recreational aviation certificate is not. For each SASAO such as RA-Aus, for issues such as medical fitness and recency the relevant operations manual is the official guide. All pilots still need to reference the AIP (all of it) so we are all "flying right" and doing things like giving way to balloons and landing aircraft.

What this also means is that CASA can't relieve an RA-Aus certificate holder of their flying privileges. CASA can initiate actions against certificate holders for Darwinian stupidity like flying drunk, flying too low over a festival, maintenance fraud and hurling abuse over the radio.

Does CAR166 apply to 10- and 19- registered aircraft and their pilots? Not all of it, because this regulation covers use of radios and other procedures at certified non-towered aerodromes which home built, experimental and low performance aircraft are not expected to use at the same time as RPT aircraft. Should you use a radio elsewhere if you have one? Up to you but read the regulations.

RA-Aus syllabus teaches the same circuit join procedures as appears in CAR166. This is not a co-incidence. In this way certificate holders shall meet the regulation requirement.

CASA tend not to prosecute SASAO certificate holders because when they violate the regulations, death often gets in first.