Lethbridge Meeting

alf jessup

Hi all fellow flyers who attended the BBQ and meeting at Lethbridge on the 4th of Feb

Firstly I apologise for not introducing myself while there but us Gippsland flyers who flew down there for the BBQ and meeting were left a little jaded by the manners of the CEO once the food ran out at 12:32 pm for a 12:30 so called BBQ

A sorry fellas we have just run out would have been acceptable and taken onboard instead of the rude "that's it all gone that's it no more" we received

We were not the only ones that missed out by any means and yes before you all jump on the defense on catering for unknown numbers if your starting a BBQ at 12:30 start it at 12:30, I'm sure a few possibly went back for seconds but that's not my gripe

And what's wrong with a few eskys if you over cater for an event or a freezer or a donation to the aero club if you have food left

Yes they catered for more than the 7 that turned up at the last gathering and yes plenty turned up for this one which was great to see

Anyways lost interest after that and sat outside listening for a bit, put a couple of tie downs in then thankfully another Gippsland Flyer said his sugar levels were suffering so we decided to bail around 2 pm before the rush

So sorry all next time I'll make sure I bring a cut lunch and make sure I introduce myself

On the upside despite his manners our CEO is doing a pretty good job imo

Cheers

Alf

• Informative 1

I went also but I don't eat sausages or white bread.I Bring my own. I'm partly reassured now that things could be worse. A goodly number attended, many of whom don't go there all the time. It might have been promoted better I feel. That would have made the sausage position worse. Have to give Michael and Darren the credit for doing it and I guess if they had done the Lobster Thermidor I wanted, someone would have thought that was a bit over the top, and they would have had to have the right sauce or I would have complained too. Nev

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 3

I was there also, the CEO certainly appeared to be able to talk the leg off a chair but didn't seem to take a great deal of notice of what anyone else said. I fear for where we are headed. More hoops to jump, more regulation, greater scrutiny. A lot of balls in the air at once all using our money. Consultation zero. RAA as we knew it is stuffed.

• Informative 1

I went also but I don't eat sausages or white bread.I Bring my own. I'm partly reassured now that things could be worse. A goodly number attended, many of whom don't go there all the time. It might have been promoted better I feel. That would have made the sausage position worse. Have to give Michael and Darren the credit for doing it and I guess if they had done the Lobster Thermidor I wanted, someone would have thought that was a bit over the top, and they would have had to have the right sauce or I would have complained too. Nev

Sorry I didn't get to meet you Nev & Bill

But in hindsight they could have had a car run to the supermarket in Lethbridge for the 30 + odd people who didn't get a feed as there were a large number of cars there also but

instead we got arms flailing and a that's it all gone, finished, no more from the HMFIC of our organisation

Nice first impression I'd say lol

Anyway it was a smooth slower flight down and a rough faster one home all in all a good day sort of

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I wish I had met you blokes. Got my two snags and bread. They seem to be doing a good job under the circumstances. I missed out on meeting Neil at the back who seemed to have a bad experience to tell about. Seven of us were there from YKTN.

• Winner 1

Ok, I'll weigh in with comment here... I went there, and to be honest I couldn't care less whether there was a sausage, rissole, or just "eat cake"! Yes these things can be a bit of an unknown quantity to organise, and I'm not about to point a finger of blame about the hospitality - it was just fine as far as I was concerned - happy to go without (though I was early enough to get a snag).

For me, I was glad to get a chance to attend, and ask a question (on progress within CASA of our CTA endorsement submission). If issues arose, I could keep appraised of who said what, and why. For my part, you can count me as more positive than negative about RA-Aus. I reserve my right to remain negative about CASA, but I'm not alone there, either.

Suffice to say that I was glad to see the large turnout of aviators, and to see our RA-Aus operatives get out of Canberra and mix it with the membership. It could be a lot worse IMHO.

For me, I just want to fly in my aircraft in the way I'd like to fly, and (despite CASA) most of the time I get a chance to do that without major hassles, thanks to RA-Aus. OK call me a positive optimist... 048_surrender.gif.737a6283dfb1349140cc8b959302f540.gif

ps: My first visit to Lethbridge... very impressed with the fuel station (3 pumps co-located incl. PULP) Must visit again!

• Agree 2

dsam

I'm not overly fussed about the sausage either albeit I was a bit peckish after my 2 hr flight down

What didn't impress me was the rudeness in our so call CEO that got me offside

Manners don't cost anything to display

And yes also my first time at Lethbridge and I was also impressed with the fuel set ups and the general outlay of the place

What I found most impressive was the chalk board on the front of the clubhouse telling pilots to let someone know where your going

Just Brilliant I thought as it looked well used

I'm really sorry that I didn't get to meet many people who are on here that were there today

Was a huge turnout as you say the RAA would be impressed

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Helpful 1

I went along and thought that it was worthwhile event.... I suspect there was a better turnout than expected but that is a positive, rather than no one at all, even if the catering was a little under sized.

Personally I thought the input from both Michael and Darren was informative and open. It was clear, in my mind, that strategically they are trying to position the RAA to compete within a new set of environments (RPL) to retain and grow the membership via new privileges such as higher weight limits and control airspace access. Equally, retaining the old platforms to support the rag and tube aircraft in which RAA was founded.

I was pleased to hear they are reacting to the regulators from a base of factual data and evidence, which will be important to set the arguments around retaining or current medicals self-certifications process. This is an area that does worry me and something we should all provide feedback to the RAA that we want them to fight tooth and nail to retain.

I think these engagements are good and I say keep rolling them out to the members... I'm pleased I went and thanks to Lethbridge and the members for hosting the day!

Cheers

Vev

• Agree 1

yep I was at Lethbridge bloody funny how this shamozle about how l1 is going on now granted to pilots passing a test that is so bloody easy to pass its a bloody joke as I stated to the ceo all you have to do is pass

very interesting remark made by ceo a bout l2 not being able to pass there audit wonder were he/she hides out

one question that I was going to ask was when is a installation manual not to be followed by by raa persons because according to my reading of documents from CASA all repairs have to be made to the makers specs of said part being installed on a aircraft

second time where persons had trouble hearing when asked to speak loader ceo reply shift closer I do have hearing aids and there not from Bunerings dept el cheeppo could get pilot cert and change were was the microphone in plain English

sorry about sausage alf to me I have that feeling that the head man is not aware that they have to start taking notice off the peasants and start to communicate and give us facts and figures in writing instead of yes that is how it is

about time that more persons started to take notice off the day to day running off the organization it was good to see that turn up and the question put up no good not having your say and later regreting it neil

True Vev

What a great turnout it was, it probably far exceeded their expectations, certainly surprised me also at the amount of people there

I thought I saw you in the clubhouse so I'm sorry I didn't say hello to you, mind you it was pretty tight in there

Michael and Darren have a job I do not envy and I'm pleased it is them in their battling for us instead of me

I was just taken aback with the CEO's manners at that one point in time when the food ran out which didn't give me a good first impression so it set the tone for me for the rest of the time I was there + I had not long stepped out of a stuffy canopy after a 2 hr flight and stood in line for a good 5 minutes feeling a tad peckish

Overall I enjoyed the flight down and back and was certainly impressed with the turnout but more so impressed with Lethbridge itself and the infrastructure they are setting up as they seem to have it going on with great commitment

When I want a snag I'll just pop on down to Tyabb

What time you fire up the barbie there ??? Lol

I'll be sure to be early

• Like 2

G'day Alf ... I'm sorry we didn't chat yesterday too. I meant to catch up after the meeting but I took my granddaughter over to have a sit in the AN2 and you had left by the time I got back from the hangar.

You know you are always welcome at Tyabb for a BBQ lunch any Saturday.

Cheers

Vev

• Like 1

Yes , a pity we didn't all connect. I put an old Lethbridge Airpark cap on which had my name on the front. ( They did that in the old days) but all the people I connected with (except Neil S, and he ended up next to me by chance OR DIVINE INTERVENTION, perhaps) were people I have known for ages. Have to be a success based on the numbers. Keep it up. It ensures a connection with the people but whether it changes much I don't know. At least they are there to field the questions, and there were a few assurances, but not enough for me to crack a bottle of Champagne, yet. Nev

• Like 3

Hi all fellow flyers who attended the BBQ and meeting at Lethbridge on the 4th of FebFirstly I apologise for not introducing myself while there but us Gippsland flyers who flew down there for the BBQ and meeting were left a little jaded by the manners of the CEO once the food ran out at 12:32 pm for a 12:30 so called BBQ

A sorry fellas we have just run out would have been acceptable and taken onboard instead of the rude "that's it all gone that's it no more" we received

We were not the only ones that missed out by any means and yes before you all jump on the defense on catering for unknown numbers if your starting a BBQ at 12:30 start it at 12:30, I'm sure a few possibly went back for seconds but that's not my grip

Cheers

Alf

You've got every right to gripe about the BBQ 'catastrophe' Alf. - "Ran out of food 2 minutes after the advertised starting time" in my opinion shows little consideration toward those that had travelled some distance, by people I would expect to do better. I imagine that there may have been more in the same predicament..... Bob

• Like 1

You've got every right to gripe about the BBQ 'catastrophe' Alf. - "Ran out of food 2 minutes after the advertised starting time" in my opinion shows little consideration toward those that had travelled some distance, by people I would expect to do better. I imagine that there may have been more in the same predicament..... Bob

About 30 + after us hazarding a guess

Running out of food wasn't my issue it was the was it was presented by our leader that got me offside

Water under the bridge now Bob

• Like 1

Somebody said the previous similar get together had 7 turn up so maybe they catered for 8 or 9, being optimistic. If they had had too many sausages, it would have upset the budget and we would have had to have a "Sausagegate and white bread roll. Enquiry". Nev.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 4