building my Savannah-S in germany

MajorTom

The EFIS has multiple pages for AHRS display, GPS heading, Engine Management, notes, checklist and setup etc. The EMS only has the engine management tuff. Both devices use the RDAC . The RDAC is only to interface to the engine sensors. The RDAC can connect to both units at the same time via the CAN bus. There is a separate AHRS unit and a separate compass unit again that connects to the CAN bus this will supply much more accurate information than the one built into the actual EFIS and will take over automatically if connected to the system. So in my aircraft all I have is 2 of the EFIS and one RDAC plus the separate AHRS and compass modules. I have fuel pressure. oil pressure 2 x EGT and 2 x temp sensors and also fuel flow sensors connected to the RDAC

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Thomas

are you going to fit a parachute? (is it compulsory in Germany?) If so when will you buy it? I am no where near that stage but I am already worrying that I will miss installing something during the build....

are you going to fit a parachute? (is it compulsory in Germany?) If so when will you buy it? I am no where near that stage but I am already worrying that I will miss installing something during the build....

Yes, there will definitly be a parachute in my bird. It is the law. And it has to be one of the types listet in the "Gerätekennblatt":

BRS-5-UL-4

BRS-6-1050 SP

Junkers Magnum ........ USH 520 SP

ICP send me a very good manual for this part.

Thanks Kyle for the infos about MGL. Very helpful. I was lost in their huge product spectrum and did not realise the efis had pitot and static built in. I was thinking I would need the IBox to get it working. Also good to know that 2 Efis can share all the modules.

Thanks Richard for the affordable store in europe.

Yes you can use it here in OZ as your primary instrument. I do

I do have a analogue ASI but thats all. There isnt any rule for amateur built about analogue or digital instruments. I am pretty sure its the same around the world. This is of course NOT a factory built. You have to keep to factory allowed instruments for them but not for home built

Thanks Kyle.... Not sure if I asked the right question.

Can I use the Efis for GPS navigation? On the Homepage of MGL there is picture of the unit, where you can scroll to the nearest airports list and select one for heading information. Doe's this work everywere? Where to get an regional airport list?

Yes it is a heading based one so no maps...but the gps works anywhere in the world. it has a list of airports but does allow you to add more as waypoints anyway so just make sure it is in the list before you fly. I never use it at all as I use OZrunways app on the Ipad and I have a Avmap EKPV as a backup..the Avmaps also has the AHRS unit ...I got it on a sellout...for about 1/3 the normal price that why I grabbed it..I think I got it for 500 bucks aussie and they were 1500 here

Then you are a lucky one.

My plan is to use EasyVFR from PocketFMS on the biggest tablet I can fit into the dashboard.

Initially I just wanted a small EMS like the AVmap Engibox to monitor the rotax 912, instead of 7 round instruments.

Then there was this bundle EMS plus Efis and I thougt: nice, why not get rid of all the many analog instruments.... except ASI

But, due to the lack of practise, I don't know if this is best for me. But there is still enough time to get smarter...

Way ahead of schedule I just finished my rear fuselage. It was a great joy to built. Even the manual was good to read and understand.So much earlier than expected I have to think about the next steps and the next things to procur.

- Avionics : a bundle of AVmap Ultra Efis and Engibox would be nice and space saving. A small 4,3" MGL double would be nice too, but its 2.500 Euro compared to 1.500 Euro for Avmap

- carpet or no carpet, is an other question

- seats (non adjustable), buy them from ICP or make them

[ATTACH]50762[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]50763[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]50764[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]50765[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]50766[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]50767[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]50768[/ATTACH]

Nice Tom, What is next?

A pic of when I was building the new dash and one while flying[ATTACH=full]50775[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]50776[/ATTACH]

Mark, I noticed that you kept the ICP-supplied ASI. Do you use a separate pitot tube for the MGL and the ASI or are both connected to the same?

Actually I didnt keep it because I never got it. I ordered my kit with no instruments as I put a Brauniger panel in it. After flying with the MGL for a while and I decided to buy another to use as a EMS ...I made up my new dash panel and decided to add a ASI. I bought it from someone on here ..it was new and its a chinese one so basically the same as the ICP one...I think it was about 150 bucks..its very accurate as I made a Manometer to calibrate them all. Beacause I have so many instruments requiring static and pitot I have a 4way push in style connetor on the main pitot and static lines and they split off to 4 instruments. 2 to the 2 MGL and 1 to the Avmap efis unit and 1 to the ASI

I only have 1 pitot tube and 1 static port...which by the way is a Jabiru static port and it is mounted on the top of my fin...it actually works properly not like the ICP method and static ports

Actually I didnt keep it because I never got it. I ordered my kit with no instruments as I put a Brauniger panel in it. After flying with the MGL for a while and I decided to buy another to use as a EMS ...I made up my new dash panel and decided to add a ASI. I bought it from someone on here ..it was new and its a chinese one so basically the same as the ICP one...I think it was about 150 bucks..its very accurate as I made a Manometer to calibrate them all. Beacause I have so many instruments requiring static and pitot I have a 4way push in style connetor on the main pitot and static lines and they split off to 4 instruments. 2 to the 2 MGL and 1 to the Avmap efis unit and 1 to the ASII only have 1 pitot tube and 1 static port...which by the way is a Jabiru static port and it is mounted on the top of my fin...it actually works properly not like the ICP method and static ports

Hi Mark,

When I contacted Aerokits the (then) NZ Savannah distributor Reg indicated that you could get no credit if you ordered a kit without instruments because the kits come in set packages. Perhaps this has changed from when you bought the XL kit?

I am definitely interested in an MGL or Dynon set up as this tends to reduce overall weight and, after all, we are in the 21st century now so why not a glass panel? Weight is not the only consideration.

The motor I am thinking about is likely to weigh about ten kaygees more than the RowTax so I need to try to think of different ways to lighten the Savannah by this 10 kg. The easiest seems to be:

(a) no carpet.

(b) glass panel rather than steam gauges.

© fixed seats rather than adjustable.

(d) polish rather than paint.

I don't want to do (d) so that leaves (a), (b) and © to consider. A Zenith owner in the United States reckons they saved 9.5 pounds (about 4.5 kg) by fitting a large screen Dynon rather than a set of steam gauges. If I keep the ASI (as you seem to have done) then I may save 4 kg. Carpet may be another 2.5 kg and I believe the adjustable seats are a little over 2 kg per seat heavier. All up, I could save around 10.5 kg, a little more than the weight of the non-Rotax motor.

Getting back to the instruments, how do you rate MGL compared with the Dynon (which so many US CH-750 owners seem to be fitting)?

PS: If I personally lose a few kilograms, I may be tempted to put the carpet into the plane after all:cheezy grin:.

I asked the MGL support how to get airport data for europe and they send me a file real quick. So a good and understandable manual and a respondig support too.... great PLUS...

Hank

The dynons are sooooo expensive especially the large panels..the large MGL are also expensive but about 30% cheaper than the Dynon. The only reason to put large panels in is if you are using their mapping. I dont I personally think they are a waste of money....... I use Ozrunways on my Ipad mini for all my Nav and it is also on my Iphone if the Ipad dies. I am very happy with both the Xtreme's I have in "the girlfriend". It gives all the info I actually need and doesnt take up too much space. The ASI is there as a default backup if all else fails. Although the Avmap is battery backed up and will run for an hour or more without power. The Xtremes can also do autopilot if you want to add the extra weight of the servos. The bang for the buck is far better with the Xtremes. Also the largepanels when you add all the gear that must go with them are not that light either

• Like 1

Right now I am assembling my baggage compartment. In one built I don't remember, there was a headphone terminal on behind the heads. Is this a good practical idea? How to do it? Is this possibly a standard part to buy?

Not that I have seen Tom...most just make a bracket and fit the 2 sockets to it....also some make a bracket to hang the headsets on as well....just above your head on that front section of the baggage compartment..in the middle

most just make a bracket and fit the 2 sockets to it

I have no clue, how to do it.

What is a practical place for the headset sockets?

Herhaps someone has a photo. This is so much easier to understand for me.

I make good progress on my fuselage. But I miss the excelent chapter summeries from IBob. The "Do's and Dont's" where most helpful and prevented me from bad mistakes. So I try to read and understand Kyles Blog.

20170613_202412.jpg.0ab65ec3c03ab5b083ed8cbbd730ff6e.jpg

20170621_211740.jpg.152b9dce22198fd4375b4c7aeb84cc06.jpg

20170621_211755.jpg.6bec10d9ee8365c70ff169e25d01297f.jpg

20170619_132939.jpg.4c724ecd9bbc8fe6e533ba78c9b5309b.jpg

20170614_211504.jpg.2bd336eb3eae766e084e6d5680693a6c.jpg

I have no clue, how to do it.What is a practical place for the headset sockets?

Herhaps someone has a photo. This is so much easier to understand for me.

I make good progress on my fuselage. But I miss the excelent chapter summeries from IBob. The "Do's and Dont's" where most helpful and prevented me from bad mistakes. So I try to read and understand Kyles Blog.

[ATTACH]50876[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]50877[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]50878[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]50879[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]50880[/ATTACH]

It's kind of you to say so, MT, thank you.

There has been a bit going on here, and a large pause in my build: You are going very well, by the look of it, and are just about up to where I am now.

But, in case you didn't pick it yet from Kyle's blog: don't rivet in that panel behind the seats: it's a great deal easier to fit the controls and mixer etc with that panel removed...

Thank you. That's a good idea. Good place.

Paintjob lookes nice too.

I was kind of thinking about doing mine in dark and light grey, but a friend of mine is telling me all the time this looks old... Best color sheme I have seen so far is on the red/white factory savannah...

The S model I am rebuilding I will paint very similar to my XL that I painted. I like the red and white. It stands out so you can be seen easily. Although I am open to a new design. Mine is just like the factory one but I put a large "tick" on the rear fuselage section you can see the difference between Dan3111's savannah and mine. in the photo. I also put the red flashes on the top of the wings that really makes her stand out

IMG_3178.jpg.4ee3f7db87e6cb6ec21d0dc066cb2907.jpg

IMG_0339.jpg.1c3c7da799db4f0a52a319d791a39636.jpg

DSC_5339.jpg.ac8c153a977d837a117c28ab695eb852.jpg