Crossing the Nullaborr

Hi all,

There was some discussion regarding crossing the Nullaborr today.080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Avgas is available at Port Augusta then the Nullaborr Roadhouse.

Has anyone thoughts on the trip. Fuel availability and cost that have been experienced...091_help.gif.c9d9d46309e7eda87084010b3a256229.gif

Accommodation at the Nullaborr Roadhouse etc.

Then onto Albany for a full stop. 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

I can carry 40 liters in bladders onboard. Could stop at Ravensthorpe to top up.

Any thoughts or experience would be appreciated.

Endurance at 24/2400 at 160 knots at 35 lph is 5 hours plus 1 reserve or pull back to 19/1900 at 120knts is far greater. The pilot endurance is about 3 hours 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

• More 1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nullarbor Roadhouse - good motel accommodation, 95 unleaded and avgas, good gravel strip, long taxy, can't recall the fuel costs but it's the Nullarbor so expect to pay more. I think the motel rooms were about $120 this time last year. Cocklebiddy has a rough strip, but has 98 unleaded available from the bowser. Border Village strip is gravelly but not too bad. Motel accommodation similar to Nullarbor. It pays to ring ahead to check strip condition and accommodation.

rgmwa

Check out Forrest WA. 2 x big bitumen strips & avgas. Accomodation and hangarage is also available. It is located just inside WA on the railway line.

Easy to find, pick up the railway line & stop at the bitumen strips. Guaranteed to be the right one because there are no others out there!

You'd be better of topping up your bladders on the Nullarbor, maybe Caiguna or Balladonia, Ravensthorp strip is a fair walk into the fuel station. Then go onto Esperance (Avgas BP card bowser) for another refuel, then Albany.

Thanks for the feedback all.

I've got my planner and maps out 019_victory.gif.9945f53ce9c13eedd961005fe1daf6d2.gif

I had considered carrying the extra 40 liters in the bladders, but prefer the option of multiple fuel stops, as I have over 200 liters of capacity with main and wing tips. The bladders would have been for emergency use, but it looks like I may not need them. 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif with more careful planning.

The feedback on the Avgas availability is appreciated as some airports don't have fuel or not identifying Avgas as an option.

Thanks again for the advice. 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

if you can detour to Maralinga, it's well worth it. Also there's a fabulous long strip there, in perfect condition. Make sure you ask for permission first. A trip to Maralinga is amazing. Ground zero of the bomb sites are still very sinister places. Caretaker Robin Mathews is a great guy. If you're interested in this pm me for more details.

• Like 1

Thanks cooper. I really would like more details, to take to the next meeting of aeroscene where we discuss places to fly to.

Maybe you could come along, it is at Parafield once a month.

I guess it would be an overnight trip from Gawler?

• Agree 1

Kununurra

I've been experimenting with the CSU and with 24/2400 and lean of peak I'm getting some good fuel numbers.

The 160 - 170 knots is the norm but I'm sure I will have winds to contend with even at 8500'

Will keep posting once I'm on my way. 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Thanks cooper. I really would like more details, to take to the next meeting of aeroscene where we discuss places to fly to.Maybe you could come along, it is at Parafield once a month.

Hi Bruce,

I drove to maralinga a couple of years ago, amazing place. I highly recommend a visit. if you're looking for a passenger to share the costs I'd be keen. I could pop out to Parafield; I live in Adelaide

Cheers

I think you'll find Google Maps helpful in planning. I use a Windows PC, things will be different on Apple or tablet.

Search the location in Google, and click on Maps in the top menu.

In the lower left, click on the large Earth button.

This is what you will see for Forrest. Note: I've already selected 3D mode (button in red circle toggles 2D/3D). Control and drag alters the tilt. Scroll wheel zooms in and out

819958974_ForrestWA.JPG.88b3f9a91825f7260be6d29eb41242cb.JPG

To rotate the view 90deg, click on the arrows beside the compass point on the right. Red pointer indicates north. This view heading west.

Click on the Explore double arrow (yellow circle) to toggle image thumbnails show/hide. Click on thumbnail to see larger version. Drag scroll bar to see more images.

Images with a looping arrow indicate 360deg panorama.

1892829007_360pano.JPG.dafb73cbc691867ed97e341056be0412.JPG

(Bragging: My photos on Google maps have now been viewed more than 100,000 times.)

• Agree 1

Bernie

When are you heading over? Sorry I read the post as you were going ,today.

You will find a few RV's in Albany.

Mine was built there also.

I would be interested in seeing your fuel figures to see how the trip goes.

Is yours fuel injected?

Cheers

Sorry for the confusion.

I'm very much in the organizing and doing some test runs.

I did ask about Gawler as a possible destination - ERSA is silent on fuels..036_faint.gif.544c913aae3989c0f13fd9d3b82e4e2c.gif

Avgas at Gawler 039_private_eyes.gif.ee730e198261239d6248af84b953d95f.gif..??

Yes the 360 is injected. Hartzell CSU unit etc.

I'll keep you posted as I go. I'm keen to see the RV market at Albany 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Thanks again for the contact.

Just received the Avgas price at the Nullaborr Roadhouse today $3.40 per liter 095_cops.gif.448479f256bea28624eb539f739279b9.gif

Sorry for the confusion.I'm very much in the organizing and doing some test runs.

I did ask about Gawler as a possible destination - ERSA is silent on fuels..036_faint.gif.544c913aae3989c0f13fd9d3b82e4e2c.gif

Avgas at Gawler 039_private_eyes.gif.ee730e198261239d6248af84b953d95f.gif..??

Yes the 360 is injected. Hartzell CSU unit etc.

I'll keep you posted as I go. I'm keen to see the RV market at Albany 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Thanks again for the contact.

Just received the Avgas price at the Nullaborr Roadhouse today $3.40 per liter 095_cops.gif.448479f256bea28624eb539f739279b9.gif

Yes AvGas at Gawler, just arrange it with the Adelaide Soaring Club, will not be a problem (I am part of the club) as long as someone is there, ie during normal business hours, not far into town too or there is a bunk house at the club.

• Like 1

Thanks cooper. I really would like more details, to take to the next meeting of aeroscene where we discuss places to fly to.Maybe you could come along, it is at Parafield once a month.

One I want to do too Bruce. Yes overnight trip for sure!!, maybe 2. I hope to be at the next meeting for aeroscene.

If you don't mind flying over water you could go Lethbridge-Goolwa-Port Lincoln-Ceduna.

Otherwise go via Port Pirie (avgas available cheap) to Ceduna then Forrest and Esperance to Albany. Avgas available at all these.

Forrest is a good place to overnight but is a fuel and accommodation and meals are a bit expensive as it really is in the middle of nowhere.

If going via Esperance call in at Myrup (10nm SE of YESP) we have about 7 RVs here.

Avgas is usually available at Nullarbor Motel, Border Village and Caiguna but is fairly expensive.

Ravensthorpe is between Esperance and Albany, does not have avgas and is a long way from town.

Good luck

DWF 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Last trip over a year ago in the BD-4 was Ceduna _Esperance non stop. 5:20 with about 20 knots 45 deg off the nose all the way. On the way back 4:33, no wind. Heaps of fuel we arrived at Esperance with 75 litres, enough for 2.5 more hours.

Avoid Nullarbor stops if possible. Strip at Caiguna is good, don't know about Border Village or Cocklebiddy, Nullarbor strip I call rough. Caiguna folks are friendly though and have Avgas (expensive) if you need to stop.

Overnight at Myelup at Esperance (half as far from town as main airport). need to go to main airport for avgas though(or did a year ago). All great fun.

Hi Bernie,

Do you use OzRunways? or any other programs fir flight planning.

I know that on OzRunways there is a tab to the top left of the page that you can turn on which will give you fuel prices

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Nullabor Motel has only 1 strip NW/SE but often out of wind. And this place is noted for wind! It's more often than not wind or water eroded so be careful of banks of sand and sharp stones. The SW/NE 'taxiway' used to be a strip and if you are stuck with excessive x/w on the main strip - the taxiway is a usable option.

Border Village is demanding if windy. Strips have only a narrow centre section and outside that is sharp limestone rock. Keep strictly to the centre of the E-W strip. The N-S strip has a lot of regrowth in parts, is narrow too, and seems to be kangaroo central early/late in day. Lots of junk lying around nr motel so shut down and move a/c by hand near fuel shed.

Mundrabilla reportedly best restaurant on hwy. But, need to walk over hwy from strip - no access for mogas.

Madura is 2-3km from motel - no access for mogas - can get very muddy.

Cocklebiddy is usually out-of-wind and fairly rough. No avgas but mogas access is good.

Caiguna strip is concave in cross-section and fills with water after a storm. Need to check it with roadhouse. It can become unusable in half an hour! Also, it has a huge mob of resident skippies and they don't move for anything less than RFDS. You can get mogas by taxying out thru the gaps in bush to E side of avgas parking area.

Balladonia Roadhouse strip is quite good, even with some rain. Only the NW/SE strip is serviceable tho. No fuel access.

Myrup, (YMYU), is a welcoming place, close to NE side of Esperance town. 14/32 and 04/22. NB: 04 is RH ccts. Gravel surfaces can be loose so take usual care of aircraft.

Hope that informs. happy days,

• Informative 2