Stuck between a rock and a hard post

Admin

I came back to Canberra to start a contract with DSS (Dept of Social Services) to develop and manage a PMO (Project Management Office) for a large piece of work they were going to undertake. They had Deloitte's in to do the Business Case. After 2 weeks being there they sacked Deloitte's for non performance so with no big program of work to create a PMO anymore, they cancelled my contract as well. So I am in Canberra with no work and an apartment to pay rent for.

Please, if you know of any Project, Program, PMO work going in Canberra PLEASE let me know ASAP...please ask around...thanks

Yeah, it happened last Wed week but they kept me on for another week till last Wednesday developing some Project Management Manuals and Templates for them but now I don't know whether to give up the apartment and go home to Melbourne (big cost) or desperately try and find something to pay the bills here in Canberra...unemployed again and desperate

Incidentally, if any one on the site is in Canberra City and wants to drop by for a drink or coffee, I am in City Walk between the fountain and the merry-go-round, right opposite the David Jones entrance

Mate, government departments are government departments, you'd realize that, and many of those running them have sh*t for brains and wouldn't know real talent if it was to bite them in the bum. I'm sure someone with a bit of grey matter between their ears will snap you up soon. Lets hope so anyway. Good luck Ian.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Mate, government departments are government departments, you'd realize that, and many of those running them have sh*t for brains and wouldn't know real talent if it was to bite them in the bum. I'm sure someone with a bit of grey matter between their ears will snap you up soon. Lets hope so anyway. Good luck Ian.

Sounds like a typical outsource contract - same with private enterprise - as any subcontractor or personal service contractor.will tell you.

The failure of both the public service and private enterprise to maintain a suitably qualified informed client is a tragedy. It has vendors continually providing what the vendor wants to provide rather than what the client needed.

We have this in NSW where the new train tunnels are deliberately made too small so as to suit the tiny mind of politicians and advisors.

• Agree 1

I know someone who works next door in DHS. Pretty good money if you can ever get past all the red tape blocking the doorway.

She's not easy to contact, but i'll try and see if they have a need for someone with real computer skills who actually has brains for brains. I can only try.

I get the impression that some there, work their butts off, while others work from 1 till 2 with an hour for lunch.

You never guess what, I moved out of my apartment yesterday, got it cleaned and carpets steam cleaned and drove back to Melbourne. The agent has already started advertising the apartment. BUT, I just got a phone call that DSS, whom I went up there to work for a few weeks ago and was cancelled due to them cancelling a big program of work, wanting to interview me on Tuesday for a role in another area.

I know someone who works next door in DHS. Pretty good money if you can ever get past all the red tape blocking the doorway.She's not easy to contact, but i'll try and see if they have a need for someone with real computer skills who actually has brains for brains. I can only try.

Thanks mate, perhaps there may be something there as well

You never guess what, I moved out of my apartment yesterday, got it cleaned and carpets steam cleaned and drove back to Melbourne. The agent has already started advertising the apartment. BUT, I just got a phone call that DSS, whom I went up there to work for a few weeks ago and was cancelled due to them cancelling a big program of work, wanting to interview me on Tuesday for a role in another area.

Good luck with that Ian, i'll still make a phone call just in case there's another opportunity for you.

I get the impression that once you get in the door, they prefer to promote from within, but I may be wrong.

Hi Ian,

I hope you go well in the interview tomorrow!!

Cancel the steam cleaners 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Eventually made contact with my friend, but she retired a few months ago and apparently was employed by ACT and in a different department. Sorry if I built up your hopes, but she can't help. We can only wish the best for our mate Ian. Just wanted to help if at all possible.

Kind Rgds

Planey