Microlight crash Illawarra Airport

If you drove your car into a ditch and rolled , it would be a car crash. Can't blame them for calling it a microlight crash in this case I would have thought. Although a car crash with minor damage and no injuries would not be reported.

Since when has running in to a ditch while taxying be classed as crashingOh I know when the dipstick useless media wants to dramatise stuff

Some should just not report

If its engine stopped or it ran out of fuel, that would be a forced landing.

If it ran into a ditch and rolled over, I would call that a crash.

The word taxying might be putting into peoples' minds a lazy walking pace roll along the runway, but it may also been a botched landing and relatively high speed excursion, like the hundreds that have been reported by RAA over the years.

The disptick useless media almost always show up with a shorthand pad, and take down what someone on the scene says, write that up as a story, and give it to the editor.

They are constantly under attack by people like yourself regarding aviation terms, by sheep owners angrily phoning to say they sold POLL dorsets, cattle owners saying the animal was a HEIFFER, not a cow, and so on. We recently had one of the expert aviators on this site referring to a forced landing as an "outlanding", and he wasn't a dipstick journalist.

• Agree 1

If its engine stopped or it ran out of fuel, that would be a forced landing.If it ran into a ditch and rolled over, I would call that a crash.

The word taxying might be putting into peoples' minds a lazy walking pace roll along the runway, but it may also been a botched landing and relatively high speed excursion, like the hundreds that have been reported by RAA over the years.

The disptick useless media almost always show up with a shorthand pad, and take down what someone on the scene says, write that up as a story, and give it to the editor.

They are constantly under attack by people like yourself regarding aviation terms, by sheep owners angrily phoning to say they sold POLL dorsets, cattle owners saying the animal was a HEIFFER, not a cow, and so on. We recently had one of the expert aviators on this site referring to a forced landing as an "outlanding", and he wasn't a dipstick journalist.

Well Turbs

What can one say to that other than glad that a reporter wasn't around when those sheep, cattle and or Heiffers walked through a ditch as it would have been multiple crashes

I think I might hav a crash today walking though a ditch

• Haha 1

Aeroplanes are more sensational than cars. It's not going to change. We fly them because they give us an experience extra to that of cars. Part of the "aura" which hasn't completely died from the early days. On that matter I was going to Kyneton on Sunday but there were VAST numbers of cars in the parking areas provided so I decide to go back home , as they didn't need my contribution to make it a success and I don't like crowds. Apparently aviation can still draw large numbers. Nev

• Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

The last information i,m aware of regarding participating member numbers of our hobby, that is, owner pilots, was indicative of us representing .0017% of the Australian population so I would agree that the general populations ignorance of our sport is normal and that paid media reporting to avoid the facts and make it entertainment instead of news, is what that same public enjoys and prefers, so we just have to groan and endure it I think guys.

I would like to expand a little bit and add to what facthunter said though, as I do believe their is a much greater differance in why we fly than the extra experience it offers.

I think the differance is because pilots actively seek and enjoy being on our own recognense and fully resposible for ourselves, which is not the case with most earthlings, as far as I can work out anyway.

Cheers Hargraves

0.0017% seems a very small number for pilots and puts me in a very small group. I wonder who the other 400 or so are and how they can keep the fleet airborne.

Have a think about it guys.."Microlight crashes into a ditch"................... "Microlight taxied into a ditch" Which headline is gunna sell more papers?Sensationalism sells, truth often does not

It rolled on its side; you taxy that way?