Nose wheel up landing at Archerfield

Just watched 9's 4pm news which had live coverage of the landing of what looked to be a Beech Duchess with a stuck nose wheel in the retract position. The closeup vision from the news heli showed the problem but the news readers had no idea what the nature of the emergency was.......just kept saying it was burning off fuel. On touch down when the nose contacted the bitumen the news reader just said Oooh!

She just made the comment that the plane had to hover for a half hour before the emergency landing! Worst news reporting I have seen! Surely their heli pilot could have told the reporter what the problem was?

Wayne

• Caution 1

Channel 7 news footage. One inspection pass, then circuit and landing. You will see the door is open over the threshhold. Three on board.

• Like 1

That's a rough day, near death experience, a partial gear up and no where to stay!

The reporter on a later update also mentioned that they were unaware where the pilots would be staying the night after their near death experience .

• Agree 1

The reporter/newsreaders are great with a script in front of them. I find it hard to believe not one person in their studio could identify from the vision that there was not a nose wheel poking down and whispered that fact to the newsreader and reporters. Can only assume they thought it was a tail dragger!

Why would it not be logical to think the plane may be a tailwheel type? The only real difference in appearance is the location of the main gear related to the C of G . Hardly a difference the average observer would be expected to notice without aircraft understanding by familiarity. Nev

I would have killed the engines saving them and the props but it seems nobody does this. A while poking fun at news readers, one recently said the Cassini probe that's currently annoying Saturn was traveling at 110 kilometers an hour. A truly fearsome speed I must say.

I would have killed the engines saving them and the props but it seems nobody does this.

I wondered about that myself, but figured that if something went bad near the ground and you needed to go around, probably not a good idea. At the end of the day the insurance company is picking up the tab anyway and lives are more important.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

If anyone is interested, I obtained a copy of the ATC for around the relevant time (1600 to 1700 local) from LiveATC and removed the silences.

SRO is the aircraft in question.

At around 7m50s you can hear the pilot of WYS (which I think is one of the local traffic/news choppers) say that he is an aeroplane LAME and can assist by having a look.

Link: Dropbox - YBAF2-Apr-27-2017-0600Z to 0700Z silence removed.mp3

• Informative 1

It is not recommended to shut down he engines until the landing is guaranteed. I believe the insurance companies think this is best practice and in most cases they could be considered to own the aircraft,

Without "inching" the blades into the best position with a piston engine, you don't improve the situation at all and really!! will you have time to do this? Also you reduce your possibilities if something unexpected happens and you would like to go around. A feathered blade will not bend as easily at the tip and will apply more bending load on the engine consequently. Turbine engines often have the feathered props rotating very slowly when feathered. They don't actually stop. Nev

And they don't want them to run backwards , so they are biased to run in the normal way for oiling as well as other considerations. If you "skid" the plane they change speed but it's quite slow.. Nev

C130 Hercules and AP3 Orion aircraft Propellers when 'Feathered' minutely rotate backwards momentarily, this then operates a Brake Lock and the Propeller locks in that position.