The King is your co-pilot

Unassuming Dutch passengers on board flights might have recognised the co-pilot's voice when he introduced himself over the loudspeaker.

What they might not have known was it was not just an ordinary co-pilot telling them current weather conditions and estimated time of arrival - it was their king.

King Willem-Alexander has revealed to a local publication that he has ended his role as a regular "guest pilot" after 21 years on KLM's fleet of Fokker 70 planes and, before that, on Dutch carrier Martinair.

"I find flying simply fantastic," he told De Telegraaf newspaper.

The royal went on to say that he will now retrain to fly Boeing 737s as the Fokkers are being phased out of service.

While it is no secret that Willem-Alexander is a qualified pilot who sometimes flew KLM passenger flights, it was not clear how frequently it happened.

De Telegraaf reported that he flies twice a month. As a guest flier, the king is always co-pilot.

Reds post seems to indicate he is not only a "proper" pilot but also endorsed on Fokkers and is going to cross over to be endorsed on 737s.

This seems to indicate he is quite entitled to be there and as capable as any other co-pilot.

Have I read this correctly?

• Agree 1

If they are obeying the rules he would be qualified, and I can't see why that wouldn't apply with KLM. Where the min crew is two the #2 IC should be capable of operating it alone in an emergency. That's one of the reasons they carry two. Crew redundancy.. Nev

I'm sure the king has all the necessary qualifications on his licence required to fly. I'd just prefer the copilot to not be part time, flying twice a month. He's the king, do you think the check ride guy might be under a bit of pressure to pass him? Could the cockpit authority gradient be a bit skewed with the king in the right seat?

If they're doing it correctly and I have no reason to think they wouldn't be then him being King would have no influence on checking or CRM. Some would argue that the real 'king' would be his check pilot, that's what most checkies would lead you to believe anyways ;)

• Agree 1

The F/O at Teneriffe DID challenge the Captain who was a high profile checkie and pinup boy for company advertising and wanted to get home as quickly as possible. Classic human factors situation l. Nev