How can we help this bloke?

Paen, has accepted my facebook friend request... I`ve told him I found out about him on this Forum...I`ve sent him the link to this thread and asked him to take a look at it then tell me what he thinks about it....If he replies, I`ll encourage him to become a member.

• Like 1

I`ve got some communication going with Paen Long, on facebook and he has said, "I do not know English" so it`s making it difficult...I asked if I could post some photos of his aircraft,on here and he sent me these...I`ve asked what language he speaks...No reply yet.

1689534018_Paen1(Large).jpg.ab4e8bc5c79eb888a9d77bcef540c994.jpg

1959555188_Paen2(Large).jpg.8ff3dfbd6aef556cc97d156421d1267e.jpg

99639237_D(Large).jpg.d3bf858389131338e85b76ad92c1d576.jpg

• Like 1

Reminds me of another chap sometime ago doing much the same sort of thing. It resembles a plane (sort of) in appearance but it's not really close. I hope no one gets hurt. You can't do that stuff by yourself from scratch. Even a minimum plane requires sound structure and aerodynamics. Nev

I`ve asked Paen if the aircraft is finished and ready to fly but no reply yet....I`ve established he speaks Khmar....I`ve tried several online translators, but no success...Unless I can communicate with him in his language, I`m afraid, there`s not a lot I / we can do to help...If anyone can direct me to an English to Khmar...Khmar to English online translator, that actually does translate, please do so.

Frank.

• Like 2

I`ve asked Paen if the aircraft is finished and ready to fly but no reply yet....I`ve established he speaks Khmar....I`ve tried several online translators, but no success...Unless I can communicate with him in his language, I`m afraid, there`s not a lot I / we can do to help...If anyone can direct me to an English to Khmar...Khmar to English online translator, that actually does translate, please do so.Frank.

ខ្ញុំគិតថាហ្គូហ្គលបកប្រែជាភាសាខ្មែរ។

ailerons ត្រូវបានជួសជុលទៅផ្នែកខាងក្រៅនៃស្លាបនិងធ្វើការនៅក្នុងទិសផ្ទុយគ្នា។ យន្ដហោះនេះនឹងដាក់នៅទិសដៅនៃ aileron ដែលជាការកើនឡើង។

Looks like Google Translate does a fair job, but concepts like "aileron" will not translate, so you may have to include a diagram with basic control surface names on them so he can recognise them.

ខ្ញុំគិតថាហ្គូហ្គលបកប្រែជាភាសាខ្មែរ។

Tried that, Paen, said he couldn`t understand it,he asked me if I could write in Khmer.

I put Marty's message in Google translate to backtrack it. Auto detected as Khmer, and substituted a word.[ATTACH=full]51003[/ATTACH]

That's not what I said... the last sentence was "The aircraft will turn in the direction of the aileron that is up."

I think Google Translate is good for heavy-use language translations as it gets corrections from users, but something like Khmer probably doesn't get used all that much.

I put Marty's message in Google translate to backtrack it. Auto detected as Khmer, and substituted a word.

And right there is the crux of the problem. The basic problem is that Paen will never be able to grasp all the major technological principles of flight and aerodynamics until he is taught and understands English.

English is the language of technology, science, engineering, construction and advanced ideas. You cannot move into in any of the aforementioned fields, or gain accepted qualifications in those fields, without being fluent in English.

A typical third world or tribal language has no words or descriptive phrases to enable the users of that language to understand or grasp the advanced concepts and principles involved in high-tech designs.

Paen may be a "mechanic" - but I'll wager he has little idea of the engineering concepts and principles, and the physics laws behind the items he has been repairing, such as cars and motorcycles.

I knew an educated Italian lady in the U.K. who contracted to Rolls Royce to translate RR service manuals into European languages - principally Italian, but along with other Romance languages as well.

It was interesting when she came to me asking the precise purpose of numerous simple technological engineering items, so she could find the right description in the translation .

Despite the advanced state of many European nations, sizeable numbers of purely technological English words cannot be directly translated into the Romance languages - even simple engineering descriptions such as "cotter pin" or "star washer".

So, you can imagine the limited ability of a language such as Khmer, which is based around a tribal society, trying to come to grips with highly technological terms and abstract ideas and advanced design principles.

We, who are born into and raised in the advanced English-speaking advanced Western nations, really cannot grasp how difficult it is for people such as Paen (and the other tribal would-be African flyers), to try and gain knowledge and advancement in the technological fields that they become interested in.

This is the reason why Western education is held in high regard in so many of these countries, and why they want to come and study at our education institutions.

You go to even reputedly-advanced places such as Singapore, and there is a huge emphasis and push, on studying in Australia, and becoming proficient in English and the fields of Western technology.

Essentially, Paen won't get off the ground until he receives the education in English that he needs, along with the associated flight and aerodynamics training, that enables people to understand the technology behind what they are building, using, and repairing.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 2

Assuming that this well intentioned and generous effort results in him building something that will actually fly, who's going to teach him to fly it? It would be tragic if he ends up killing himself because he's been shown how to build something that will actually get off the ground. At the moment, his biggest risk of a crash is probably from on-coming traffic on a back country road.

rgmwa

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

Assuming that this well intentioned and generous effort results in him building something that will actually fly, who's going to teach him to fly it? It would be tragic if he ends up killing himself because he's been shown how to build something that will actually get off the ground. At the moment, his biggest risk of a crash is probably from on-coming traffic on a back country road.rgmwa

This.

He may get it to fly one day, the safest way is probably the time it will take him to achieve it, eg; lots of taxi'ing, then progressively larger and larger bunny hops - more or less how original aviators got there.

Just making a flying craft available up front might kill him swiftly.

• Agree 2

Just making a flying craft available up front might kill him swiftly.

Precisely!!! That`s the very first thing he needs to understand and maybe he does, but if he doesn`t, then we won`t be able to help much from here if we can`t communicate with him effectively, even then, we need him to want to communicate with us.

This is a translation of Paen`s last post on his facebook page. "Different life, some people love to do somebody like sports, I like to make a plane".

Does he intend to fly the plane or is he just interested in build it?

Frank.