Minor service - expected time & cost

Akro, you are getting some good advice here. Especially to research the checklists, which you have done.

If you can possibly find the time, see if you can assist at the service. You will find it a great experience and you will get to know your plane and engine better. There will be things you can do even on the first event.

Not all LAMES will agree to this, try to present it as a learning thing for you and not as a standing over them deal.

Yep...thanks Bruce. Working through the week makes that difficult unfortunately but yes I've read others do that here and seems a strange concept that must be fairly unique to this industry. I keep going back to it but I can't imagine my auto mechanic letting me into his workshop to help out.

@pmccarthy, I'm a member of Bendigo flying club and know of Rod Shearer because they use him to service their tecnams. In fact I've been in contact with him about something else and may seek him out next time.

I agree about auto guys... once I was shooed out because I wanted to look under the car while it was on a hoist. They carried on about insurance and other nonsense.

Aircraft are different though... Have you read Mike Busch ?

Have you read Mike Busch ?

I haven't but just looked him up and found his web site... wow, he's got an interesting list of articles there. Will have to have a dig through them.

Yep...thanks Bruce. Working through the week makes that difficult unfortunately but yes I've read others do that here and seems a strange concept that must be fairly unique to this industry. I keep going back to it but I can't imagine my auto mechanic letting me into his workshop to help out.

My Auto Mechanic is more than happy for me to assist when I take my car in.

In fact his standard rate sheet even covers it.

Hourly Rates

If you leave your Car $35.00

If you watch $45.00

If you give advice $55.00

If you help $65.00

If you already tried to fix it $75.00

If your mate fixed it $100.00

015_yelrotflmao.gif.6321765c1c50ed62b69cf7a7fe730c49.gif

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha 4

• 2 years later...

I realise this thread is quite old now, but I was quoted $1300 for a 100 hourly on my LSA one year ago. It ended up costing near 4K.  Long story.  Since then I've gained L1 and L2 and do 912's  by the Maintenance Manual.  I'm appalled by the comment that it takes 10 plus 5 plus 30 mins, but I'm probably not allowed to say that.  I'll happily spend a whole day on a 912 200 hr service, whilst that may not be cost effective, it's a matter of personal satisfation and a smooth running clean engine at the end of that day.   What is a full 912 L2 200 hr service worth these days? My guess, probably around the $500 to $600 mark plus parts?   What do you think?  

Compare it with a car where it doesn't have capped servicing costs and start from there. Nothing for a plane is very cheap or that easy to get at. There's also the documentation and the liability and the LAME doesn't know how the planes treated /operated and it's current condition, service record.

I'm biased. I want /insist on doing it or knowing exactly what has been done. .. IF it's something big with a B or an A on it I can't do it  myself naturally, but mistakes are often made there also...  Nev

I change oil at 25 hours as i sometimes use avgas, which is early, but if I am away I can let it go longer . oil filter change at 50 hours, remove and clean and re oil air filters 100 hours spark plugs 200 hours change coolant every 2 years and replace all rubber ( radiator hoses carby sockets carby diaphragms fuel pump etc) every 5 years

I run my 912 ULS almost exclusively on 98 RON.

50 hrs - (minor service) engine oil change, plus general engine /airframe. inspection including fuel filters (x3) and any no critical adjustments (eg trim friction, tyre pressures)

100 hrs as per 50 hr -  plus oil filter & clean/re oil air filters, inspect plugs & gearbox/sump magnet and carburettor pneumatic balance check.

200 hrs as per 100 hr -  plus coolant & plug replacement - I would also do a friction clutch check, leak down/compression check, torgue my prop bolts, replace brake fluid,  etc etc .

5 years - all rubber, including all fuel lines & breather lines (then as per your list) BUT I dont do the fuel pump as I consider I have sufficient warning (breather pipe) and then redundancy (boost pump) in the event of failure.

Akromaster - your vehicle mechanic is unlikely to open a filter for inspection, use a torque wrench to to tighten (20NM x 8 )  the plugs, safety wire the drain plug (& other items). clean & re oil the air filter(s), etc etc and then write a detailed report,  including compression & clutch slip measurements ( he/she would probably just print out a pre assembled list of actions for that service interval). I can do an oil & filter change on my diesel Ranger in under 20 minutes ( - engine oil & filter in well under 10 minutes, then air filter and fuel filter). Takes me two days to do my aircraft - Yes its slow & meticulous but then a systems/engine failure over tiger country is something I would very much like to avoid.