Don't look down Oooooh!!!!!!!

Does anyone know if any form of investigation was done and if so what the explanation for the event was. I can speculate on any number of scenarios where either of the participants was in the wrong or where either of the participants were in the right and it was just bad luck.

Would be nice to know if there was an explanation.

You could, or you could broadcast from the ground, but I don't think people who will haul up a paraglider with a quad bike would really be compliantThe other aspect of this is whether the line was more than 500 ft long, or what height the aircraft was cruising at.

Looking at the first video it looks to me like a winch launch and not a quad towing setup, the cable appears to be coming from the end of the paddock all the way from the start. I would guess they only use the quad to tow out the cable for each launch.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Does anyone know if any form of investigation was done and if so what the explanation for the event was. I can speculate on any number of scenarios where either of the participants was in the wrong or where either of the participants were in the right and it was just bad luck.Would be nice to know if there was an explanation.

From the video description again, try: Investigations - Serious incident involving a Saab MFI-15 and a hangglider

If it'll let me post links... I'll find out :)

• Like 1

In the English link that Jaba provided, there's a link to the final report in PDF format - but it's all written in Swedish! 034_puzzled.gif.ea6a44583f14fcd2dd8b8f63a724e3de.gif

Unfortunately the only bit that is English seems to be a summary on page 8.

To [insert favorite translation software here]!

I have a paragliding tow endorsement. Normally a 'payout' winch is used and that's what appears to be in use here too. The comment that people involved towing would probably not be compliant typical of ignorance. Towing is very popular in the Deniliquim area where several record flights have taken place. I think Kari Ellis, current world no. 2 female Paraglider pilot, flew close to 400 km from there last year. The record flights usually take place in November early in the season.

I have a paragliding tow endorsement. Normally a 'payout' winch is used and that's what appears to be in use here too. The comment that people involved towing would probably not be compliant typical of ignorance. Towing is very popular in the Deniliquim area where several record flights have taken place. I think Kari Ellis, current world no. 2 female Paraglider pilot, flew close to 400 km from there last year. The record flights usually take place in November early in the season.

How high is the paraglider at the point of release?

How high is the paraglider at the point of release?

It depends on the reason for the tow. For thermalling 1000' could be sufficient or less it you town into a good one. The people who tow for the purpose of SIV (unusual attitudes) tow up to 3500' plus, ie aerobatic safe height. Early training might only be to a few hundred feet.