Cool places to fly to from Caloundra QLD

im currently working up my hours for CPL and am looking for places to fly to within about a days flight from Caloundra. Just wanting to know some places that are interesting to see from the air or nice little airstrips/towns to fly to for a night as I've flown to most places within a couple hours flight from where I am.

• Like 1

Murgon breakfast fly-in($15) is this Saturday - 14 Oct - with spag bol and a movie for $10 on the Friday night(BYO tent or stay at their new bunkhouse or the motel in town). This is good practice for your short field technique on a bush airstrip.

• Haha 1

Depends on what you are flying, 200 kts and you could include Melbourne, 100 kts and you could easily get to Mackay/Townsville/Longreach just depends on where you want to go. If it was me I would find the slowest, cheapest thing with wings and fly that you are only looking for hours and they all count.

Aldo

As far as Whitsunday Airport is concerned, they have not changed their requirement which stopped me going there 23 years ago when I was building time towards my CPL, namely that they require 100 hours in command before you land there, which I didn't have and I suspect WetBlanket wouldn't have either at this stage of his or her training. I just landed at Proserpine and caught a taxi into Airlie Beach and still managed to have a bloody good time.

Nice airport & area$33.00 to land & overnight

100hrs command limitation

Prior permission required

No landing or overnight fees if you rent the apartment. Not sure about the 100h part but still... I’m only at 30h so I’ve got a bit of time to make it to 100h but very keen to do this.

LOT 40 - WHITSUNDAY AIRPORT

Enjoy staying in this luxury hangar home during your visit to the Whitsundays. Located on entry to 14, you have the convenience of pushing your aircraft out to the airstrip, a private pool, massive hangar and room to relax in this beautiful hangar home. If you love aviation then this is the home for you, everything you need is here, enjoy cooking a bbq while overlooking family and friends in the pool!

No landing or parking fees during your stay.

Two queen beds, two single beds with two additional fold out singles available.

Minimum two night stay - off peak $500 per night - peak season $550 per night. Complimentary tea and coffee.

No landing or overnight fees if you rent the apartment. Not sure about the 100h part but still... I’m only at 30h so I’ve got a bit of time to make it to 100h but very keen to do this.LOT 40 - WHITSUNDAY AIRPORT

Enjoy staying in this luxury hangar home during your visit to the Whitsundays. Located on entry to 14, you have the convenience of pushing your aircraft out to the airstrip, a private pool, massive hangar and room to relax in this beautiful hangar home. If you love aviation then this is the home for you, everything you need is here, enjoy cooking a bbq while overlooking family and friends in the pool!

No landing or parking fees during your stay.

Two queen beds, two single beds with two additional fold out singles available.

Minimum two night stay - off peak $500 per night - peak season $550 per night. Complimentary tea and coffee.

FYI

Whitsunday Airport - Airport Flight Procedures

"Operational requirements mean that visiting pilots must have at least 100 hours in command and obtain the current information as above. The airport is located in a small valley and has a curved approach and departure from each runway and winds can at times be very strong and gusty."

On my last visit landing fees were waived if you purchased fuel.

• Like 1

Here Ya go Mr. Blanket,. . .real cool place to fly in,. .NO landing fees, No parking fees, . . .occasional food, Free coffee / Tea anytime. . . fuel by prior arrangement. . .six runways. . . Hell ? what could be better ?

GPS Co-ords are : 52 :42 :496 / 002 : 05 : 563. <othertonairfield.co.uk>

341864489_OTHERTONAIRFIELD1.jpg.8a18f6f33a2a7cf380c8acf41bab879a.jpg

928524716_OTHERTON2.jpg.c1f829d1bf37641dca1ab679a56967fd.jpg

I don't suppose the 185 fuel stops enroute would bother a CPL trainee. . good Nav practice too . . .( Warning ** Avoid overflying Baghdad, Mosul or Damascus )

Before someone asks what the crude 'Lollipop' near the threshold of 07 is,. . well,. . this was someones's brilliant idea for a helicopter landing pad. . . .before they put a big letter 'H' in it. . . .

• Haha 1

Rocky, shoot the ILS at Gladstone, Thangool, Rolleston, Charleville, Emerald, Longreach. Old station, emu park, Hedlow, Agnes Water

I gave up my I/R after Birmingham Intl. started charging £45 + 20% VAT a go for ILS / missed approach practice. . .( Thieving barstardz ! ) Didn't wish to fly 75 Nautical each way to keep current with ILS. . . .NDB holds / Letdowns didn't count for the full I/R reval regrettably !

• Helpful 1

This looks good, I’m wanting to try it.Whitsunday Airport - Airport Bookings

It's fantastic, flown in there on a fly in around 15 months ago. Owners of the airport Ross and Dianne (it is private) are great people as well.

Once there, you can fly a number of places, including over most of the islands, Heart Reef and Whitehaven Beach.

Try emu park airstrip mate. Its right on the edge of town so you can easily walk to accomodation. No landing fees. Right on the the doorstep to great keppel island and the Whitsundays. And did I mention the breathtaking coastal scenery all the way from Caloundra to there. Spectacular. You'll also find Gladstone and its waterways north of it incredible from the air. Good luck.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys, I'm currently flying a Flight Design CTLS and Cessna 172 so Melbourne might take me a bit longer then a day. I've got a flight planned up to Emu Park and down to Mount Warning so I'll let you know how I go. As for Mackay, Gladstone etc. I'm still working on my controlled airspace endorsement so they'll be one for the future. I'm also doing a trip down to Coonabarabran soon to visit family for a couple days so if you know of any where around that area I'd love to check it out.

• Like 1