Arkaroola, Flinders Ranges, SA

Peter Anson

This was my first visit to the Flinders Ranges and included what for me was a new level in remote flying. It was an 1100+ nautical mile round trip and I somehow contrived to fly the whole thing against headwinds. The scenery was fabulous and I hope to go back some time soon. Here's a link to my blog:

http://www.ansoneng.com/sample-page/sonex-trips/arkaroola/

[url=http://www.ansoneng.com/sample-page/sonex-trips/arkaroola/][/url]

Peter Anson

Sonex 19-7898

• Like 12
  • Winner 2

Great story thanks. It's worth mentioning the gravel airfield is fairly short and although uphill, the top end rolls off into a gully. It caught me unawares although I managed to stop in time.

Doug is very helpful to visiting pilots including renting a 4wd at a nominal fee of $20 per day plus petrol. We flew from Broken Hill too (only $18 landing fee) but we joined the Flinders at South End, Wilpoena Pound so we could fly the length of the Ranges to admire the view prior to landing at Arkaroola.

A highly recommended destination.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Hi Bill, I remember speaking to you. We were heading to the coast but stopped at Cobden because Dorian was getting a bit airsick.

Thanks everyone. It's obvious from my blog that I think it's a great destination. Length of the runway was no problem for something like the Sonex, although it does drop off a bit at the ends. It could be very difficult in a strong westerly. The runway is 03/21 and very close to a parallel range of hills but there are alternative airfields in the area. Arkaroola is PPR so you can get the latest information when you call them. They are very aircraft friendly.

• Like 1

This was my first visit to the Flinders Ranges and included what for me was a new level in remote flying. It was an 1100+ nautical mile round trip and I somehow contrived to fly the whole thing against headwinds. The scenery was fabulous and I hope to go back some time soon. Here's a link to my blog:http://www.ansoneng.com/sample-page/sonex-trips/arkaroola/

Peter Anson

Sonex 19-7898

Should become a journalist Peter, good read, cheers.

Hi Bill, the jack was intended to lift by the axle. See http://www.ansoneng.com/sample-page/products-summary/quick-lift-wheel-jack/ for information and links to a couple of videos demonstrating its use. I have sold a couple to people with aircraft other than Sonex, but I'm not familiar with the axle arrangement on Jabirus so it might not be suitable as is.

Hi Bill, the jack was intended to lift by the axle. See http://www.ansoneng.com/sample-page/products-summary/quick-lift-wheel-jack/ for information and links to a couple of videos demonstrating its use. I have sold a couple to people with aircraft other than Sonex, but I'm not familiar with the axle arrangement on Jabirus so it might not be suitable as is.

Hi Peter

Do you make an attachment for the quick lift jack to attach to a flat surface? I see you have a clamp on for tube. I have a Skyranger Nynja and have attached an image of the inner undercarriage. I could make an attachment to bolt on with the axle attachment fastenings. If you have them I'll get a set with a quick lift wheel jack or if I need to fabricate them up here could you give the dimensions of the tube piece (length and dia) and I'll tig to a suitable mounting plate.

Let me know and I order the jack via your webb site. Looks great well done and thanks for offering them for sale.

Cheers

M985455416_Nynjaundercarriage.JPG.e27509c56cef42a201b9915f5086a6af.JPG ike

The jack weighs around 400 grams. It is suitable for tyres 11" to 13" OD. Might not be suitable for much larger tyres even with some type of adapter. If you'd like more details, contact me via my web site.

Peter

The jack weighs around 400 grams. It is suitable for tyres 11" to 13" OD. Might not be suitable for much larger tyres even with some type of adapter. If you'd like more details, contact me via my web site.Peter

Will do!!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
Hi Peter

Do you make an attachment for the quick lift jack to attach to a flat surface? I see you have a clamp on for tube. I have a Skyranger Nynja and have attached an image of the inner undercarriage. I could make an attachment to bolt on with the axle attachment fastenings. If you have them I'll get a set with a quick lift wheel jack or if I need to fabricate them up here could you give the dimensions of the tube piece (length and dia) and I'll tig to a suitable mounting plate.

Let me know and I order the jack via your webb site. Looks great well done and thanks for offering them for sale.

Cheers

M[ATTACH]35987.IPB[/ATTACH] ike

Hi Peter I tried out the wheel jack I bought from you and fitted an attachment unit for location under the Nynja's undercarriage.  All worked a treat.  Thanks and a great product.

20180527_120201.thumb.jpg.e47f16ea168abd106aec3a5344e12e49.jpg

20180527_120228.thumb.jpg.49863ce9ebcf5bff37d95dc24edc0fbc.jpg