Hot Tips Anyone?

Not that there is anything wrong with flying open cockpit aircraft in Victoria in June (not much anyway), a group of Microlight/trike and gyro pilots are planning to head to Far North Queensland in June 2018.

Our rough planned route takes in the following places -

Holbrook, Narromine, Tenterfield, Tyagarah, Caboolture, 1770/Agnes Waters, Airlie Beach/Shute Harbour, Blue Water Park, Atherton, Port Douglas, Lyndhurst, Muttaburra, Longreach, Emerald, Carnarvon Gorge, St George, Lightning Ridge, Narromine and back to Holbrook.

We will have vehicle support along the way. What I am keen to hear is your local knowledge about places to fly to, places to land and places to stay generally along the way.

There will be five to eight aircraft and maybe ten to twelve people in the group. We are hoping to mix accommodation up with some camping and some motel/hotel/cabin accommodation.

Any advice and hot tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1992678355_EasternAustraliaMap.jpg.4dca8c87fc0610548c1283de38ef639d.jpg

G,day Glen Cabulture /1770 is a long hop for 60 kters and our club at chillders (isis flying club) is right alongside but out of sight of the bruce hwy an idea might be to contact the club and ask to overnight their. Your support vehicle would not need to be off track and we are a friendly lot here so i think that would work well for you and may also provide local strip location alternates in case of emergencys enroute, just a thought sir, cheers Mick

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Going to Agnes. The prevailing wind is from the SE. Don’t be tempted if there is no wind at the windsock to take off NW. The wind could still be a Soueaster above the trees, lead into a very poor rate of climb. Experience talking here.

Rods Bay strip is between rail and highway 15 nm SE of Gladstone. 800m grass strip. If you need help in this area contact me.

• Like 1

G,day Glen Cabulture /1770 is a long hop for 60 kters and our club at chillders (isis flying club) is right alongside but out of sight of the bruce hwy an idea might be to contact the club and ask to overnight their. Your support vehicle would not need to be off track and we are a friendly lot here so i think that would work well for you and may also provide local strip location alternates in case of emergencys enroute, just a thought sir, cheers Mick

Not many people call me 'sir', Sir Mick. And thank you for your very good advice. Initially I was planning a flight up Fraser and overnighting at Orchid Beach Resort - but that's looking not so hot but still in the mix. Your alternatives have been noted and will be tossed in to the final plan. Would love to come and met you guys. Do you speak Victorian?

Going to Agnes. The prevailing wind is from the SE. Don’t be tempted if there is no wind at the windsock to take off NW. The wind could still be a Soueaster above the trees, lead into a very poor rate of climb. Experience talking here.Rods Bay strip is between rail and highway 15 nm SE of Gladstone. 800m grass strip. If you need help in this area contact me.

Thankyou for the advice Yenn. I have taken your advice on board and will be very useful once the planning gets firmed up- and will be in touch re the other strip you mentioned. I'll look at a map first. Thanks again. Glenn

Lots of info about the area from west of Townsville through to Atherton and then Port Douglas.

Basically - yep stay west of cairns. All ctr along the coast.

Long long drive for the support cars. Roads there go in huge arcs in places.

But it's a long long flight at 60 knots too I suppose.

If weather is dodgy don't attempt direct into atherton. High tiger country from Mt Garnet (YMRT) to Ravenshoe to Atherton that clouds in first hint of humidity. Ok to plan it for a clear day but also plan to go up the interior to abeam Mareeba (At about Petford) and come east in the valley from Petford to Dimbulah (YDIM) to Mareeba (YMBA) then back south to Atherton. Let us know when you are gonna be in Atherton. Maybe we can arrange a welcoming party.

Plenty more local info that I can add but the list would go on for pages.

• Like 1

Lots of info about the area from west of Townsville through to Atherton and then Port Douglas.Basically - yep stay west of cairns. All ctr along the coast.

Long long drive for the support cars. Roads there go in huge arcs in places.

But it's a long long flight at 60 knots too I suppose.

If weather is dodgy don't attempt direct into atherton. High tiger country from Mt Garnet (YMRT) to Ravenshoe to Atherton that clouds in first hint of humidity. Ok to plan it for a clear day but also plan to go up the interior to abeam Mareeba (At about Petford) and come east in the valley from Petford to Dimbulah (YDIM) to Mareeba (YMBA) then back south to Atherton. Let us know when you are gonna be in Atherton. Maybe we can arrange a welcoming party.

Plenty more local info that I can add but the list would go on for pages.

Hello Jaba Thanks for all that. Great stuff. I have a rough idea of the tablelands but the locals know it best. Will add your advice/ideas to the planning and perhaps contact you through the forum later on for some of the nitty gritty. Appreciated :) Glenn

Do you speak Victorian?

You're not going to get potato cakes and a piece of flake that's for sure.

Take your craft's security and personal safety seriously in some of the outback towns, there's a lot goes on that doesn't make the media.

• Like 1

g'day Glenn, sounds like a fabulous trip! twood be wonderful to see the flight do a little detour through the Scenic Rim region, aptly named I might add. if you detoured to the North West from Tyalgah the track (abt 70nm) takes you over Mount Warning and the McPherson Ranges to Boonah. some tiger country there so the best track would be via the Numinbah Valley and Beechmont. from Mt Warning it is abt 40nm to Boonah. to get back to the coast from Boonah you would track East to take you over Beaudesert, past the airfield at Jacobs Well and on to The Spit (just North of Surfers Paradise), where you would turn North for the run up the coast and Caboolture.

you would have three options for landing/accom around Boonah:

1. Boonah Airfield, Flying Tigers Clubhouse for acft tiedown parking, motels, pubs and caravan park not far away - I should be able to help with transport

2. Roadvale airfield, private owner, 6nm North of Boonah. Camping onsite but I would need to confirm permission from owner - fabulous airfield, I could provide portaloo...

3. Woolooman airfield, at my residence. only 200 metres long and surrounded by hills - advanced pilots only and insurance may be an issue (look it up on Google Earth at 620 Woolooman Road)

BP

PS - any chance a Drifter pilot and his mighty machine might tag along for part of the journey???

• Like 1

If you decide to head for the coast before Coffs Harbour I have a 800 metre private farm strip between Port Macquarie and Coffs Harbour, just inland from Crescent Head ! you guys are welcome to drop in and stay ! Unleaded close by ! Have a good trip ! Pm if your interested !

• Like 1

G`Day Glen, If you are flying costal, then up the Goldsborough Valley to Atherton, my photos will show you what it looks like...On the GE photos the area inside the blue line is our property...The red line is my main strip and it runs 7...25, it is 510 mts from end to end...In our area, June can be very wet but weather permiting, I keep the strip well mowed and there`s nothing on it that can damage tyres...I flew a Zenith CH 701 off it many times and never had any problems...You will all be welcome.

1294282688_7Tableland(Large).jpg.973a371acdbe5995cdc9b1e45e50c7bf.jpg

Frank.

A.A.jpg.6890ba92d7ffc9c055e38fa83e502537.jpg

A.A.jpg.07cc279b5e9e437fef2b74e78f9698e2.jpg

Home2.jpg.5214636dd1f21d0f59c9f0b5c20a7710.jpg

1611685785_WalshesPyramidahead(Large).jpg.0e7b611342535733b8bc822672910c66.jpg

239555897_2ApproachingtheGilliesRainge.(Large).jpg.d898ee94b7b242c747a08de56bba900d.jpg

1984465957_3GoingovertheGilliesRange.(Large).jpg.22b76e0d9fefd8a63418d57ba2325dbe.jpg

307023539_4AthertonTablelands(Large).jpg.de072dfc833f5c5e3f3330001997de1c.jpg

• Like 4

Glenn: If you plan to fly into Agnes Water, best to give Bruce or Woody a call first. It is a private strip and the take a very dim view of people just lobbing in without permission. Having said that, they are very friendly and quite happy to let flyers use the strip. From memory, there was a landing fee expected, but I forget how much. Bruce or Woody will fill you in on the details there. If you are going in numbers, ask Bruce or Woody about contacting Macca for ground transport. He drives a small school bus and is a really great guy, very helpful.

• Like 2

YCAB Caboolture has the advantage of accommodation and food a close walk.

Another option may be a visit to Archer Falls airstrip. About 20nm inland from YCAB. Its owned and operated by a local pilot. Has a nice setup there, with undercover seating / kitchen, may even be an area to sleep if weather looks dodgy for camping.

I'm not affiliated with them, but have flown in a few times, (excellent coffee), very hospitable owner.

Contact the owner if your interested in a visit.

Archer Falls Airfield

Cheers.

• Like 1

g'day Glenn, sounds like a fabulous trip! twood be wonderful to see the flight do a little detour through the Scenic Rim region, aptly named I might add. if you detoured to the North West from Tyalgah the track (abt 70nm) takes you over Mount Warning and the McPherson Ranges to Boonah. some tiger country there so the best track would be via the Numinbah Valley and Beechmont. from Mt Warning it is abt 40nm to Boonah. to get back to the coast from Boonah you would track East to take you over Beaudesert, past the airfield at Jacobs Well and on to The Spit (just North of Surfers Paradise), where you would turn North for the run up the coast and Caboolture.you would have three options for landing/accom around Boonah:

1. Boonah Airfield, Flying Tigers Clubhouse for acft tiedown parking, motels, pubs and caravan park not far away - I should be able to help with transport

2. Roadvale airfield, private owner, 6nm North of Boonah. Camping onsite but I would need to confirm permission from owner - fabulous airfield, I could provide portaloo...

3. Woolooman airfield, at my residence. only 200 metres long and surrounded by hills - advanced pilots only and insurance may be an issue (look it up on Google Earth at 620 Woolooman Road)

BP

PS - any chance a Drifter pilot and his mighty machine might tag along for part of the journey???

Hello BP Thanks for your advice. Will look at it in greater detail shortly and add it in to the mix. Will get back to you to follow up. :) Glenn

Wo

If you decide to head for the coast before Coffs Harbour I have a 800 metre private farm strip between Port Macquarie and Coffs Harbour, just inland from Crescent Head ! you guys are welcome to drop in and stay ! Unleaded close by ! Have a good trip ! Pm if your interested !

Would love to fly around that area again Camel. Spent many hundreds of hours hang gliding off Crescent and had a fly in the prototype two seat Thruster off Walton's strip back in the early 80s. Not this trip but next one maybe. Cheers Glenn

Glenn: If you plan to fly into Agnes Water, best to give Bruce or Woody a call first. It is a private strip and the take a very dim view of people just lobbing in without permission. Having said that, they are very friendly and quite happy to let flyers use the strip. From memory, there was a landing fee expected, but I forget how much. Bruce or Woody will fill you in on the details there. If you are going in numbers, ask Bruce or Woody about contacting Macca for ground transport. He drives a small school bus and is a really great guy, very helpful.

Thanks csc for the advice. Will be getting in contact with all the operators prior to startup. Cheers Glenn

Thanks csc for the advice. Will be getting in contact with all the operators prior to startup. Cheers Glenn

If you do stop at Agnes Water, I can highly reccomend going out to 1770 and having sundowner drinks at the tree bar. The restaraunt is also great for meals.

1770 Beach Hotel and The Tree Restaurant

• Like 1

WoWould love to fly around that area again Camel. Spent many hundreds of hours hang gliding off Crescent and had a fly in the prototype two seat Thruster off Walton's strip back in the early 80s. Not this trip but next one maybe. Cheers Glenn

Your welcome to come ! Located near Gladstone ! You would have known Joe Scott RIP,

Follow Belmore River in and can't miss it !

Photo of Crescent head !

IMG_1653.JPG.79c64dcac041d7e23d20826084a6e02e.JPG

• Like 1

Farri

G`Day Glen, If you are flying costal, then up the Goldsborough Valley to Atherton, my photos will show you what it looks like...On the GE photos the area inside the blue line is our property...The red line is my main strip and it runs 7...25, it is 510 mts from end to end...In our area, June can be very wet but weather permiting, I keep the strip well mowed and there`s nothing on it that can damage tyres...I flew a Zenith CH 701 off it many times and never had any problems...You will all be welcome.[ATTACH]52598[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]52599[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]52600[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]52601[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]52602[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]52603[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]52604[/ATTACH]

Frank.

Love the view from the Drifter Farri. Brings back some good memories :) Love the pics and will surely have a closer look at your patch as an option. Thanks :) Glenn

• Like 1

Your welcome to come ! Located near Gladstone ! You would have known Joe Scott RIP,Follow Belmore River in and can't miss it !

Photo of Crescent head !

Gosh it looks familiar! One day we had amazing lift off the east face and got to about 1200'. Floated all the way to Richos Crossing. And yes I certainly did know Joey. Taught him to fly! I do hope he is in peace now.