Ultralight Spitfire

Tucano

Came across this and it is worth going to the site - will have to translate to english but this is a passable Spitfire replica thats is a real ultralight and compare the profile to a Supermarine - yeah more power but that Supermarine profile is so wrong at a lot of levels.

P1020011.jpg.d7aa6d346bfe69d3649fb33ba0d688fb.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Great replica, but probably not the nicest aircraft to actually fly.

Looked through the site and the inflight photos show a lot of down elevator being held, even the landing was done with down elevator!

Me-thinks a little tail heavy? (I know the real Spit flies with some down, but that's at cruise)

Found a video;

511444412_Letani_Spitfire1.jpg.3ed389ec4681f6e0017b946ccefe1de0.jpg

1791759298_Letani_Spitfire2.jpg.a3356d9a77d58de902440d9727427548.jpg

Interesting though.

No offence - they will all be called ultralights, even mine at 640 kg unless there is a new name created for the expanding [weight] category.

All products suffer middle age spread maybe to keep pace with the pilots

Noted the elevator - yes need more weigh in the nose and that is why this category needs the extra weight - 450kg creates a problem especially with a scale model aircraft of this size. The Tucano is very sensitive to nose weight and this is a consequence of creating a scale model for real people to fly.

Cant knock the profile over a Mk25 but it needs it to be bumped up to at least 500 kg to fix issues like this and add a little more air frame options. I would strap my supercharger on it 7 kg and 40 hp - happy days but would require a redesign

• Like 1

Tell us more. I'm drooling!

I had been following the other big two ducted fan projects;

The Dreamer- Ассоциация Экспериментальной Авиации - Заглянул случайно в один ангарчик.

The UL39- Gonzo - Kategória UL / LSA

And figured a bigger fan would be better, which dictated something powered by centrifugal style jet.

I had also worked building Sadler Vampires back in the 80's.

Basically, was going to make a fan, mould an intake, expansion plenum, and jet-pipe, then build the aircraft around it.

Airframe would be all metal.

Toying with the idea of a single (maybe retracting) wheel ala glider to save weight.

Only drawings...

505974114_Screenshot2017-11-22at5_58_29PM.jpg.31b591596dd07163c09af6821af7b8eb.jpg

Very old photo.

• Like 3

I have been playing with the design for a 2/3 scale Vampy for a while. I have the plans for a 1/5 model and would use similar construction materials and techniques as the Spacek SD-1 Minisport (building one as a training exercise), Pik-26 or MC-30 Luciole (foam/carbon fibre spars, foam ribs, ply skins, wood stringer/ply skin fuselage). The 2/3 scale is just big enough to accommodate the pilot and gives 10m2 of wing area, with 300kg MTOW fits in the 95-10 category. If built really light, it should come in under 180kg empty (the SD-1 is 120-135kg empty, MTOW 240/255kg).

Engine: 85kg thrust jet (PBS TJ80) or 75-100hp air-cooled 2-stroke with ducted fan (Hirth 3002/3003). The 85kg thrust jet would give the 2/3 Vampy the same thrust/weight ratio as the original (taking off like a lame duck till they accelerate to a reasonable speed). Only problem with the real jet engine is they use 80-100lph of fuel!

126694438_DH-100VampireF366LH.png.5a8ae6e10362ff08cd4845018561f4fc.png

1188455681_DH-100VampireF366front.png.5b560e3bbadafc9abd10d4063e00b817.png

• Like 2

Hi Pylon 500,Working on the Sadler Vampires in the 80's, were you working for Skywise Ultralights at Bankstown ?

Yep, started with them when they were in a furniture factory just off Milperra road, then we moved onto Bankstown proper.

After that fell through, I worked in the hangar next door for the next 17 years.

1971055258_Sadler1987.jpg.5300d3388643d066eef58aa8ef71bdb3.jpg

That's not me (I took the shot), I think it was the bosses son.

• Like 1

SV-200?

I'm assuming you are talking about the two seater?

I think the single seaters were serial numbered SV-2, being the 447 powered version with turned down tips, as opposed to the SV-1 with a KFM-107 and flat end tips.

The first two seater (pictured behind the red one above) was just a wider pod on a standard airframe, but with the wing extended an extra four feet.

There was some embarrassment when CASA was invited to watch the testing of the first extended wing, only to have the dummy centre section collapse, which then damaged the test wing.

A new engineer was taken on and the two seat program was basically redesigned from the ground up, having virtually no commonality with the single seater.

I had moved on by this point and didn't get to see most of the lead up to a standing airframe before the company closed down.

Last I heard the two seat airframe had been sold to someone who then decidied to redesign it again, but got it up to taxi stage, maybe even a test flight?

All the tooling (for the single seater) has changed hands a few times, and is now with Ray Tolhurst, as above.

Interesting note, I discussed l this a few years ago here; Sadler make Vampire two seater

SV-200?I'm assuming you are talking about the two seater?

I think the single seaters were serial numbered SV-2, being the 447 powered version with turned down tips, as opposed to the SV-1 with a KFM-107 and flat end tips.

The first two seater (pictured behind the red one above) was just a wider pod on a standard airframe, but with the wing extended an extra four feet.

There was some embarrassment when CASA was invited to watch the testing of the first extended wing, only to have the dummy centre section collapse, which then damaged the test wing.

A new engineer was taken on and the two seat program was basically redesigned from the ground up, having virtually no commonality with the single seater.

I had moved on by this point and didn't get to see most of the lead up to a standing airframe before the company closed down.

Last I heard the two seat airframe had been sold to someone who then decidied to redesign it again, but got it up to taxi stage, maybe even a test flight?

All the tooling (for the single seater) has changed hands a few times, and is now with Ray Tolhurst, as above.

Interesting note, I discussed l this a few years ago here; Sadler make Vampire two seater

Hi Pylon 500,

I was looking for as much information as I could find on the SV-200, it would be great to see it flying.

I know where the plane parts, moulds and all the plans are for it.