C182 crash with fatality - Tasmania

I am not denying that windsocks are a valuable tool, but you can get enough info without them if you need to.95% of my flying is done out of paddocks and off of roads that don't have any windsocks within a cooee and it is still quite easy to do safely. There shouldn't be any excuse for accidentally landing downwind (ignoring one way strips and gentle 5knot variable winds). Most of the time there is something to spot in the surrounding area (maybe a tractor ploughing dust or ripples on a dam or smoke from a chimney) but a gps is also a very useful tool for checking headwind/tailwind direction. Crosswind component should be very obvious when on finals in most of the stuff we fly as will gusts.

Keeping an eye out for ground level wind indicators should be as automatic as keeping your a lookout for suitable paddocks ect in case of a forced landing.

Yes again windsocks are an awesome tool but we shouldn't fall out of the sky without them.

Well said. Getting a sea plane rating certainly makes you focus on ascertaing wind direction without a windsock.

• Agree 1

I have flown from North of Benalla for 15 years and learned that what is at ground level can be +90 degrees different by only +300 ft elevation. This is especially true when cold easterlies come off the alps. A fleeting glimpse of the sock is important. Drift on different approach legs should give a bit of an idea but it is not a certainty.

Is that Jims strip you are talking about Nth of Benalla?

In reference to my post #16 an ALA is an AUTHORISED landing area which would meet the standards and description specified by the Department of Civil Aviation at the time. A PROPER specifically designed windsock does give reliable information of wind both as to the existence of gusts and the WIND VELOCITY . The fact that many strips don't meet the requirements of an ALA means that lesser standards are being used more and more. You often get a windsock on roads where winds could affect caravans. Surely a plane is more responsive to wind than a caravan being towed along a sealed road . Doubtless a good windsock would have significantly acted to prevent this tragedy.. If there's one handy, a glance at it late on approach provides useful information even with larger aircraft.. One at each end of the strip is useful too.in that respect

RAAus type planes flying across country at relatively low altitudes should be aware of winds from every possible indicator to aid navigation and to be useful if doing an outlanding. Dust smoke and surface ripples on dams etc help to maintain a wind awareness in flight. Local winds due to sea breezes anabatic and katabatic effects and and the available synoptic (MSL pressure isobars) met information will give a good idea of likely winds in the area of your flight. The drift you encounter confirms the forecast IF it's correct.. Some cloud patterns indicate an approaching cold front. Fronts usually have associated wind events that affect aviation. Nev

• Agree 2

In reference to my post #16 an ALA is an AUTHORISED landing area which would meet the standards and description specified by the Department of Civil Aviation at the time. A PROPER specifically designed windsock does give reliable information of wind both as to the existence of gusts and the WIND VELOCITY . The fact that many strips don't meet the requirements of an ALA means that lesser standards are being used more and more. You often get a windsock on roads where winds could affect caravans. Surely a plane is more responsive to wind than a caravan being towed along a sealed road . Doubtless a good windsock would have significantly acted to prevent this tragedy.. If there's one handy, a glance at it late on approach provides useful information even with larger aircraft.. One at each end of the strip is useful too.in that respectRAAus type planes flying across country at relatively low altitudes should be aware of winds from every possible indicator to aid navigation and to be useful if doing an outlanding. Dust smoke and surface ripples on dams etc help to maintain a wind awareness in flight. Local winds due to sea breezes anabatic and katabatic effects and and the available synoptic (MSL pressure isobars) met information will give a good idea of likely winds in the area of your flight. The drift you encounter confirms the forecast IF it's correct.. Some cloud patterns indicate an approaching cold front. Fronts usually have associated wind events that affect aviation. Nev

And there was a very good wind indicator at Tomahawk that day.

Tomahawk.JPG.872ef59772009823c410cab32d57b7bf.JPG

• Agree 1

Nea

Affirmative Gravity

Nearly bought his place last year, flew in to take a peek at the place. Nice guy, can talk the leg off a rocking chair Didn't buy it (yr lucky I was gunna clear out all the kites in there) due too many grey area's from a council point of view, think it's still on the market now.

• Like 1

NeaNearly bought his place last year, flew in to take a peek at the place. Nice guy, can talk the leg off a rocking chair Didn't buy it (yr lucky I was gunna clear out all the kites in there) due too many grey area's from a council point of view, think it's still on the market now.

I fly the Kitfox from closer to Melbourne but still like the lack of traffic at Jim’s. Safe skies eh.

• 2 weeks later...
I fail to understand why anyone would build an airstrip without a windsock? I would have thought that'd be the first thing you'd install.There was a simple and serious error here, whereby the pilot failed to organise and establish ground communications upon arrival.

The pilot organised with the airstrip owner to meet the aircraft - why wouldn't you organise a method of ground communication, while you're at it?

Driving around on a runway flashing vehicle lights, to try and communicate, is just plain foolishness, when there's no method of signalling having previously been agreed on.

At Gawler, we have three windsocks and they can be pointing in three different directions at the same time.