You think CASA is bad!

CASA have certainly not done themselves favours with the GA end of the spectrum. However, when they decide educate GA pilots (and others), they take it prety seriously, even though it may be a jolly for some: CASA Out-n-Back

Bu EASA, with the fudning of about 32 states can only come up with this patronising sh!te: Introducing Sunny Swift ... | EASA

While I philosophically support the EU, I can understand why people voted to leave

Funnily enough, the Americans introduced cartoon and comic-style educational booklets during WW2 and well into the 1950's and 1960's, as a way of educating those who struggled with conventional "schoolroom-style" learning.

I'm pretty sure this started during WW2 when rapidly increasing numbers of military conscripts needed education in new and more complex areas than they were used to - such as machinery and mechanised equipment, and aircraft.

I strongly suspect this type of schooling was found to produce better results amongst African-Americans, Hispanics, and those who could be classed as coming from "tribal" societies.

I'm not trying to start racist or xenophobic arguments here, but I believe in that era where colour was regarded as a big divide, and anyone who wasn't of largely Western European extract - and was regarded as being "second-grade" in intelligence levels - the cartoon-style and comic-book style education was seen to be the answer to improving educational results from amongst those "second-grade" groups.

There was also the problem of trainees who simply had a poor grasp of reading and comprehension, and who essentially, just struggled with the English language. "Ebonics" wasn't known in this era - but the concept was understood.

Then there were, no doubt, those with undiagnosed and unrecognised autism-type disorders (which I believe were probably just as prevalent in WW2, as today), which many trainees suffered from, which made them "difficult" students in that era.

The American cartoon-style and comic-book education booklets seemed to die out around the late 1960's. I actually enjoy collecting them, I think they are a great thing, and I think they will be looked back on as a unique educational tool for the era, in years to come.

Caterpillar in particular, produced a wide range of educational comic-style booklets for the operators of their machinery. I would guess that this was because it was thought, that the majority of Cat equipment operators would largely be high school dropouts.

I believe good illustrations and diagrams and clearly-defined descriptions supported by good photographs, are a valuable educational tool, combined with text schooling. As is often said, one photo is worth a thousand words.

However, to introduce an educational program with a strong cartoon identity isn't a good idea, as there is then a tendency for numerous trainees to start focusing on the cartoon identity, rather than the message.

Caterpillar understood this, and used "characters" in their "comic-book" educational pamphlets, that could be identified as the various types and personalities associated with the industry - but funnily enough, no-one with dark skin ever featured in those Cat educational booklets! Racial bias? For sure. Intended? I think not. Just a simple fact of life, that the whites who drew them up, didn't consider that "people of colour" were unconsciously being excluded from the educational booklets.

I wonder if the "Sunny Swift" comic-book style educational program is related to the large amount of recent immigrants to Europe who aren't of Western European ancestry, and who may be struggling with conventional "schoolroom-style" learning, and the English language, as it is their second language?

I just read the "Sunny Swift Fuel Caution Light" strip.

All I could think of was the police helicopter going through the roof in Glasgow after the pilot acknowledged/cancelled the low fuel warning about 4 times and crashed with the low fuel warning light illuminated.

As an aside....the ADF is now switching over to what they DASR (Defence Aviation Safety Regs) which are apparently modeled of EASA and CASRs, and they think it's going to be an improvement.....008_roflmao.gif.1403968ae51b10bfcd4c01d7b660b53c.gif

Many central and eastern Europeans have a good grasp of the English language, have vibrant GA/recreational community and also have a vibrant manufacturing industry (Czech Republic, Poland, Solvenia to name a few). Oddly enough, except in France, all European countries conduct GA flights in English, but instructors brief students in their home language. It doesn't address why the gauges are unreliable and even why the warning light is also unreliable.

With the Out n Back, it is real people flying real planes and an instructor going over relevant safety items and the reason behind them.

to all you 10 year old GA pilots out there - have you seen the latest Sunny Swift cartoon? This week she tells you not to take off without having a good healthy breakfast - that would be just silly !!!

But I can't wait for Sunny Swift to meet up with Modesty Blaise, and read about them going on an aerial adventure involving some of the shadiest mega-criminals around! 003_cheezy_grin.gif.a3ff7382d559df9a047d5e265974e5f3.gif

This reminds me of my old Sgt catching us reading WW2 comic books, when we were supposed to be doing something like a yard emu-bob for punishment.

As soon as you got caught, and he roared, "WTF are you doing reading those comic books?!! ..."

The answer was swift .. "Training pamphlets, Sarge!! Training pamphlets!! ..." 004_oh_yeah.gif.138bad2925a1e956b63ce847119413ca.gif

One Track,

If you're white & wake up in the morning in what was the U.S....you're a racist. Racist is a catch-all phrase here from any black to whom you don't suck up to their line of <mod censored>.

As for instructional type comic books, they actually continued up to the end of U.S. support in Vietnam. The star character was a gorgeous blonde, scantily clad who gave tips on fixing & maintaining everything military. I enjoyed reading it - looking at her - and dreaming! You might can Google "Vietnam era military instructional comic book."

Funnily enough, the Americans introduced cartoon and comic-style educational booklets during WW2 and well into the 1950's and 1960's, as a way of educating those who struggled with conventional "schoolroom-style" learning.I'm pretty sure this started during WW2 when rapidly increasing numbers of military conscripts needed education in new and more complex areas than they were used to - such as machinery and mechanised equipment, and aircraft.

I strongly suspect this type of schooling was found to produce better results amongst African-Americans, Hispanics, and those who could be classed as coming from "tribal" societies.

I'm not trying to start racist or xenophobic arguments here, but I believe in that era where colour was regarded as a big divide, and anyone who wasn't of largely Western European extract - and was regarded as being "second-grade" in intelligence levels - the cartoon-style and comic-book style education was seen to be the answer to improving educational results from amongst those "second-grade" groups.

There was also the problem of trainees who simply had a poor grasp of reading and comprehension, and who essentially, just struggled with the English language. "Ebonics" wasn't known in this era - but the concept was understood.

Then there were, no doubt, those with undiagnosed and unrecognised autism-type disorders (which I believe were probably just as prevalent in WW2, as today), which many trainees suffered from, which made them "difficult" students in that era.

The American cartoon-style and comic-book education booklets seemed to die out around the late 1960's. I actually enjoy collecting them, I think they are a great thing, and I think they will be looked back on as a unique educational tool for the era, in years to come.

Caterpillar in particular, produced a wide range of educational comic-style booklets for the operators of their machinery. I would guess that this was because it was thought, that the majority of Cat equipment operators would largely be high school dropouts.

I believe good illustrations and diagrams and clearly-defined descriptions supported by good photographs, are a valuable educational tool, combined with text schooling. As is often said, one photo is worth a thousand words.

However, to introduce an educational program with a strong cartoon identity isn't a good idea, as there is then a tendency for numerous trainees to start focusing on the cartoon identity, rather than the message.

Caterpillar understood this, and used "characters" in their "comic-book" educational pamphlets, that could be identified as the various types and personalities associated with the industry - but funnily enough, no-one with dark skin ever featured in those Cat educational booklets! Racial bias? For sure. Intended? I think not. Just a simple fact of life, that the whites who drew them up, didn't consider that "people of colour" were unconsciously being excluded from the educational booklets.

I wonder if the "Sunny Swift" comic-book style educational program is related to the large amount of recent immigrants to Europe who aren't of Western European ancestry, and who may be struggling with conventional "schoolroom-style" learning, and the English language, as it is their second language?

One Track,

I found it. Called "PM Maintenance." She should be attached below. An artist named Eisner thought her up. Should be somewhere below.d86c09ae4ced74f29a8ee00056a5ba09.jpg.83974491ae329fcb92482eb0be6adc93.jpg

Funnily enough, the Americans introduced cartoon and comic-style educational booklets during WW2 and well into the 1950's and 1960's, as a way of educating those who struggled with conventional "schoolroom-style" learning.I'm pretty sure this started during WW2 when rapidly increasing numbers of military conscripts needed education in new and more complex areas than they were used to - such as machinery and mechanised equipment, and aircraft.

O

• 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth, I agree with everything you stated. Well done! I'm from the southern U.S. where everyone hung a black man at least 20 times a day. In reality, we all got along as everyone worked. No "give away" money back then. We didn't have time or the inclination to go people hanging. There were however, isolated incidents usually in very isolated areas.

Dilbert, the US navy pilot

It seems that the original meaning of 'dilbert' has been lost. All references I found to the meaning of the word refer to the comic strip detailing the life of an office worker. That strip started in 1989. Seems that Dilbert was forgotten after the Korean Police Action.

He had two other WWll contemporaries, SNAFU, and Kilroy, although Kilroy was not involved in training material.

But I can't wait for Sunny Swift to meet up with Modesty Blaise' date=' and read about them going on an aerial adventure involving some of the shadiest mega-criminals around! [img']https://www.recreationalflying.com/xf_step/upload/uploads/emoticons/003_cheezy_grin.gif.a3ff7382d559df9a047d5e265974e5f3.gif[/img]This reminds me of my old Sgt catching us reading WW2 comic books, when we were supposed to be doing something like a yard emu-bob for punishment.

As soon as you got caught, and he roared, "WTF are you doing reading those comic books?!! ..."

The answer was swift .. "Training pamphlets, Sarge!! Training pamphlets!! ..." 004_oh_yeah.gif.138bad2925a1e956b63ce847119413ca.gif

Not just the "tribal" types but the basic education of some of the good old boys was pretty bad.

For what it's worth, I agree with everything you stated. Well done! I'm from the southern U.S. where everyone hung a black man at least 20 times a day. In reality, we all got along as everyone worked. No "give away" money back then. We didn't have time or the inclination to go people hanging. There were however, isolated incidents usually in very isolated areas.

I found a lamp with a Genie and got one wish, "I want to be hung like a Black Man!" I said!

Then suddenly appeared before me a dozen members of the KKK.....