Introduction

peter51

Hi all,

I have flown a few aircraft in RAA category - savanah, sling and foxbat - handling qualities of the foxbat and sling were very good.

I currently fly the 737-800 and I am an ex military helo pilot/ instructor. I still fly GA as an instructor with air force cadets and I thoroughly enjoy flying light aircraft.

Looking to build a STOL aircraft soon for extended bush trips - hope to fly the AAK hornet ASAP. I have visited the factory at Taree several years ago ago and was very impressed with the engineering of this aircraft - unforetuneatly I still had 3 kids on my hands at that time - they have now flown the coop.

I will need some sage advice and so I have joined this forum for that purpose.

Peter

Welcome aboard - interested that you found the handling qualities of the Foxbat & Sling to be good but not the Savannah? I am planning to build a Savannah at some stage, and they are very popular, both on Oz & NZ. Any comments you might care to make?

Hello peter51

Nice to see commercial pilots here ........ where else could you rather be ?

I think the savanah is a great utility go anywhere beast ..... with your experience you probably need a ......... (fill in blank please)

More importantly welcome and we are all ears for impart of knowledge or whatever you choose

Thanks for the welcome. The Savanah is a great aircraft - Control harmony in the other 2 just felt better for me - particularly the Foxbat - highly subjective of course. Tail volume does look a little light on in the Savanah - compared to AAK hornet for example - which I have not flown yet.

I have a friend with a Savanah and he can really put it on the spot.

My first question about operating in remote areas on MOGAS is about to be posted

SDQDI' date=' you must get some interesting reactions when you tell people you fly a Hornet. [img']https://www.recreationalflying.com/xf_step/upload/uploads/emoticons/007_rofl.gif.e807aadcb8e5c6936e3bdbddc90b17f0.gif[/img][ATTACH=full]54333[/ATTACH]

Yes and some confused replies when I do a ten mile call with an arrival time early next week:roflmao:

Have a look at these -

Kitfox S7 Super Sport

You will find they have good STOL (but wont beat the Savannah), good cruise (100kts) and carrying capacity (me and wife, full fuel and 65kg luggage). And excellent factory and owner support group.

Kitfox general discussion - TeamKitfox Forums

I built one after owning a Mooney and have flown it all over Australia and landed in lots of off field locations. Love this type of flying more than the high and fast. Happy to show and demo if down our way (Mt Beauty, Vic).