RV-6A down Somersby

Even though I'm based there, I only know what the ATSB has posted, but VH-OAJ was involved in an accident at Somersby this afternoon. A local news outlet reports the pilot was airlifted to Royal North Shore, but no indication on his condition.

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) is investigating the collision with terrain of single-engine RV-6A aircraft, VH-OAJ, which occurred at Somersby Airfield, Central Coast, NSW on 18 March 2018.ATSB Transport Safety Investigators will soon commence the evidence collection phase of the investigation where they will interview witnesses, examine any available recorded data, review operational records and technical documentation.The evidence collection phase will also define the size and scope of the investigation and determine the expected timeframe for the completion of a final report.

Any witnesses to this accident are encouraged to complete an online form at www.atsb.gov.au/witness or call 1800 992 986.

No further information is available at this time.

Should a critical safety issue be identified during the course of the investigation, the ATSB will immediately notify relevant parties.

Source

Kariong 1A & 1B, Somersby, Central coast deputy group 7, FRNSW, nsw ambulance, police & other emergency units are currently on scene at an incident at Somersby Air strip.Please keep the area clear for the services to work.Photo H.Pearce

FB Post

Guest Guest

Oh that's terrible news, we've lost a fellow aviator, hope he's somewhere up there above the clouds still with that RV smile.RIP

• 1 year later...

Yes, it's all there.. I wouldn't have considered the down slope that excessive.  It stopped quite rapidly, eventually, and the resultant forces  do the damage. The first bounce is the (latest) time to take action unless you have lots of room . Nev

Yes, it's all there.. I wouldn't have considered the down slope that excessive.  It stopped quite rapidly, eventually, and the resultant forces  do the damage. The first bounce is the (latest) time to take action unless you have lots of room . Nev

I've not flown a -6, but my fixed-pitch -9A does not like slowing down landing downhill there. I did it once, and it was immediately added to the list of things not to do again. Landing uphill, I can be down and stopped in well under 200m with moderate braking.

One thing that concerns me is the repeated buckling behind the cockpit of the RV-series. It has been mentioned in several accident reports previously, as well as this one, and makes me wonder if something should be 'done' to resolve it. The problem being, if the longerons buckle ahead of the shoulder restraint, it effectively slackens your shoulder harness and you are then unrestrained and pivot around your lap belt only.

• Informative 1

One thing that concerns me is the repeated buckling behind the cockpit of the RV-series. It has been mentioned in several accident reports previously, as well as this one, and makes me wonder if something should be 'done' to resolve it.

Someone on this forum wrote about it (Oscar?)

Pilots were sustaining head injuries in a crash and the reason why was a bit of a mystery. 

Apparently aircraft were folding on inpact with the pilots head hitting the panel.

The aircraft would then fold back into a "normal" position after stopping.

• Informative 1

A lot of planes don't like slowing down on a downhill slope. Just having the idle speed a bit high can compromise it but that amount of slope is not unusual if only on some  sections of a  runway. Downwind landings add airspeed with the windshear  whereas at least that is in your favour landing into wind provided you've allowed  (enough and not too much) for it. Any excess speed and "false" slope approach angle  make the situation more critical. The essential lesson is when it's not good  GO AROUND.  Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I really dislike landing downhill in my RV4 and also to a lesser extent the Corby.

The reason is the lack of visibility with a high nose up attitude which causes the wing to blanket the edges of the strip. My usual attitude has me looking at the far end of the strip, but when it is way below line of sight I cannot see it and need to rely on peripheral vision to keep above the strip.

I really dislike landing downhill in my RV4 and also to a lesser extent the Corby.

The reason is the lack of visibility with a high nose up attitude which causes the wing to blanket the edges of the strip. My usual attitude has me looking at the far end of the strip, but when it is way below line of sight I cannot see it and need to rely on peripheral vision to keep above the strip.

Better off landing uphill/downwind than the opposite, same for takeoff, NEVER take off uphill.