Fuel hose

sandman

I have always used Gates Barricade Fuel Injection hose on my Rotax 912. Its way way overspecked for pressure but gives a slightly higher temperature, lower permiability and resistance to abrasion/penetration rating. Costs about X2 the Gates carburetor hose but with strong bargaining this is a very cost effective hose. At my 5 year rubber replacement my Gates hoses were all in very good condition and only very slightly "stiffer" than the new hose.

These days the main retail supplier is conveniently Repco.

One thing I forgot to mention - whatever hose you decide to use , secure the ends with Fuel Injection hose clamps - much better than an ordinary worm drive hose clamp and can be reused indefinitely.

The carburetion hose is fine on the Drifter. It's rated 10 times higher than the pump can produce. The injection hose is about three time the price, and because it's thicker, you can have trouble getting some of the smaller bend radii around the carbs. You are supposed to replace them every 2 years anyway, no point just throwing money away for for stuff you really don't need and makes no positive difference.

The carburetion hose is fine on the Drifter. It's rated 10 times higher than the pump can produce. The injection hose is about three time the price, and because it's thicker, you can have trouble getting some of the smaller bend radii around the carbs. You are supposed to replace them every 2 years anyway, no point just throwing money away for for stuff you really don't need and makes no positive difference.

My response to your comments:

• I acknowledged the unnecessary high pressure rating but pointed out other benefits with the FI hose which may /or not have relevance to your application.

• Your pricing is out or you dont have a good relationship with your Repco dealer - my dealer sold me the FI hose at about (I use three different sizes) $10/m

• I try to make all my hose bends as wide as practical. No hose should be forced into a bend that may cause it to distort during service.

• Can't comment on your 2 year replacement - my Rotax 912 is definitely 5 years (there is a Hobbs hour time but I do the 5 years before the Hobbs time its due).

• Its a personal choice, the slightly higher cost (considering the small length I am purchasing) and slightly better additional features make it worth it to me.

On the Drifter, the hoses are more exposed and suffer a bit more than those under a cowl (mostly), so need more regular replacement.

$10 a metre is very cheap for FI hose, no way I can get it that cheap at local repco.

Having the thinner wall definately works better on the Drifter installation, (yes I've use FI hose before)

With top tank and bottom tanks with breathers etc, the Drifter uses a surprising amount of hose.

.............................................$10 a metre is very cheap for FI hose, no way I can get it that cheap at local repco.................................

I admit to an excellent relationship with my local Repco, but then I purchase most of my automotive stuff through them as well as my Repco Aerospace goods, including coolant hose, elbows/connectors, coolant concentrate, hose clamps, some of my engine gauges, etc etc.

Believe me, your local Repco can negotiate a better price - they know their markup and how much they can discount. I have a feeling (no more) that the original price given for the FI hose was over $20/m but I found out they purchase at about $6/m soooo there is room to bargain and I love a bargain.

• 2 weeks later...
I thought all rubber hoses require 2 yr or so replacement on all aircraft?

Rotax 912 ULS manual requires a 5 year replacement of all "rubber" components. To this end, I replace all coolant, fuel & oil hoses, carburetor diaphragms & carburetor manifolds. In doing this I have never found a defective component (ie they still had much operational life left in them).

Looking at upmarket auto fuel fittings, they appear to be much better than aviation similar stuff. I wonder if the certification business acts as a brake on product improvement for aero stuff.

Here's a story about hose replacement... On the Jabiru, it is possible to have the hose vibrate its way up the narrowing space under the fuel tank until it pinches shut.

Yep, this has really happened, and it was just after a hose replacement job of course.

Looking at upmarket auto fuel fittings, they appear to be much better than aviation similar stuff. I wonder if the certification business acts as a brake on product improvement for aero stuff.Here's a story about hose replacement... On the Jabiru, it is possible to have the hose vibrate its way up the narrowing space under the fuel tank until it pinches shut.Yep, this has really happened, and it was just after a hose replacement job of course.

Not familiar with hose (fuel) requirements for Jabiru aircraft but I can say that care must be taken when cutting a hose to length - it is possible to be too long as well as too short.

Short is the obvious mistake - there is a gap between the hose end & its "destination".

Less obvious is too long, were the extra length can cause a host of problems from, "kinking", migrating to unexpected/wanted parts of the airframe causing obstructions and or fretting /wear on hose or other components, movement that fatigues hose itsesle & or fittings, to unnecessary weight & cost.

Jabiru fuel hose is automotive stuff you buy at Supercheap. The only mod I have done is to get better hose-clamps from Pirtek. These clamps are wider, heavier and the edges are rolled to be gentler on the hose.

I reckon the system is fine and reliable and it is not difficult or expensive to replace. Well the hose under the fuel tank is not that easy to get to.

And yes, that hose which pinched off would have been too long.

Jabiru fuel hose is automotive stuff you buy at Supercheap. The only mod I have done is to get better hose-clamps from Pirtek. These clamps are wider, heavier and the edges are rolled to be gentler on the hose.I reckon the system is fine and reliable and it is not difficult or expensive to replace. Well the hose under the fuel tank is not that easy to get to.And yes, that hose which pinched off would have been too long.

Hi Bruce - cant say I am overly familiar with SuperCheap fuel hose but I have purchased cheap hose for ground based equipment and almost always regretted it. It goes hard/stiff very quickly, is prone to cracking and any savings you might make will be negated by a more frequent (under 5 years) replacement need.

My advice would be do not scrimp on fuel delivery systems, Gates fuel hose can be purchased at very reasonable cost (haggle) from Repco and I am sure there are many other reputable brands out there.

The heavy clamps that Pirtek supply are specified for hydraulic hose and are quit unnecessary & far to heavy for petrol hose clamps. The best clamps to use in this application are Fuel Injection (FI )hose clamps which can be purchased from most automotive suppliers. They are designed to give 360 degree clamping pressure, without cutting or pinching the hose are cheaper and lighter than hydraulic hose clamps.