Advice welcomed

G’day experienced pilot & Aircraft owners

I have been flying since early 2000 and clocked up a few hundred hours in a few different A/c s. I am not an experienced pilot at all. I am now looking to buy an aircraft. My age is on the wrong side of 60 (bugger)

I am asking if anyone can help me choose the ‘right’ Aircraft. Criteria being;

<= $65k (that’s my upper limit)

gentle Flying characteristics

handle some bush strips

duration time (not an issue as I can’t stay away from a toilet for too long )

prefer a Rotax Engine but I am not intimidated by the issues Jabiru 2200/3300, have had. 

I am unsure how to work this forum, so if you have some good advice for me. Please email me. 

[email protected]

regards Bruce 

based out of YTOC (Tocumwal). They have a good group oh both GA & RA pilots about. 

I would suggest that you talk to the local group. They know you and what you would probably like. As a general recommendation from what you say, i would think that  Jabiru or a Savannah would be good. There ara plenty of good planes available, but you need to decide what your mission is and take it from there.

Which is the wrong side of 60? I would hate to be less than 60 now.

Hi PD,

I am on the right side of 60 (ie 63) and I would endorse Yenn's comments.

I have had a Savvanah for the past 3 years, and have done around 220 hours in it so far. It has the long range tanks, holding 140 litres, which gives me at least 7 hours endurance plus 45 minutes reserve.

I would thoroughly recommend it if you like low and slow (I flight plan 90kts TAS), plus the ability to land and take off from shortish grass strips.

HTH,

Neil

I put up a post a while ago about how my purchase unfolded, but the underlying message was...

No matter what machine you are going to buy, be prepared to walk away.  Don't get emotionally attached to it AT ALL.  That way if there is something wrong with it, or you can't settle on price, you can walk without issue.

I had to have this attitude when I flew all the way to Townsville to buy mine.  I was prepared to get back on a Qantas jet without it.

Rules for buying an aircraft:

1. Find one you think that you would like to buy.

2. Pay a qualified and experienced aircraft maintenance engineer to travel to the aircraft and conduct an in-depth inspection of the aircraft and its records.

3. Based on the engineer's report, either walk away, or enter into commercial negotiations.

Most buy  2 seaters, but If you don't need that you get much more possibilities. If you plane is very slow it might not be very useable when there's much wind.. If you are near salt (doesn't have to be near the sea)  that can cause maintenance issues.. Open cockpit a bit daunting in winter in some areas.

Could you cope with a tailwheel?. More utilitarian, but more unforgiving. less maintenance. High wing, better crosswind and farm gates coping and camp under it. Two stroke? IF you are savvy with them you might get a good run. Good power for weight. more fuel, Less life.. Can you hangar it? They all need hangars. The longer you think about it the likely best result achieved with more information. How much do you want to spend.? Can you maintain it yourself? (recommended if you can).  Nev

Thanks Nev

All good considerations. I have narrowed things down a bit but then I am still open minded to all possibilities. But for sure 2 seats, 4 stroke, nose wheel (but endorsed tail so could go that way), able to handle bush Rwy s, duration 2 to 3 Hours   

The list can change I guess. 

Thanks 

Find out what some of the locals have, nice to gather information on type and make new freinds that way..

Zenith, Savanha, Cessna 150, Jabiru going by your price, but have you considered a Drifter, or is that too open for you?

Have a look through Frank's thread for the drifter experience .. 

Oh I haven’t forgotten the gazelle. In fact a CFI I know said the same thing so it’s definitely on the list. I have one in sight but engine hours have me a bit worried a 1500 Hours. The owner wanted it for a school but can’t due to 1500 Hours. Non commercial can go to 2000 Hours as I understand it. A new engine is $23k plus fitting so there’s another $28k maybe. But the gazelle is in there. Easy to fly and does what I want to do. 

Thsnks for the reminder 

Choice is not my worry. It’s choosing that’s becoming the problem. For sure it’s a buyers market at that’s something I must remember at all times. 

Thanks for pointing me to gumtree as tree as I had not look there before