Why no Radio Calls?

Not so long ago, Australian aircraft working in remote areas had to be equipped with HF and the usual aerial config was a wire from wing tip to top of fin to other wing tip, or fin to fuselage. The military developed a compact loop that could be fitted in the tail.

The older truck aerials had several windings to give the choice of a small range of frequencies but you had to plug into the correct one for the frequency chosen. Nearly everyone had 2020 which was the “galah” frequency for chatting. Modern mobile aerials are tunable and expensive.

The modulation you get on HF SSB gives an unusual character to voices being transmitted and solar flare interference can be extreme.

kaz

I have one of those multi tap antennas on my car ?

Cheers,

Jack.

C05AC782-7533-483C-8E21-0A88F28B8736.thumb.jpeg.b60962a9b1da8b883e34c9868253b95e.jpeg

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main problem with that is when you don't know the aircraft is there, you don't know there is potential for collision, so you don't make a radio call.

The regulation is somewhat of an oxymoron. .....

The rule is “see and avoid” using Mark 1 Eyeballs...Visual Flight Rules.

There isn’t even an obligation to have a radio fitted except at Registered and Certified aerodromes so its really important to keep a good look out rather than trusting to God and a radio call.

kaz

• Like 1

I make calls in circuit even when I think I am the only aircraft for 100km. Sometimes the response surprises me.

I do too, Mac. BUT, I don’t rely on others making them and I don’t rely on them having a radio to hear me.

Quite a few of the older aeroplanes without generators flying around no radio or a pissweak portable without external aerial.

kaz

The rule is “see and avoid” using Mark 1 Eyeballs...Visual Flight Rules.

Yes, I keep my Mark 1 Eyeballs scanning outside, particularly on VFR routes & near aerodromes.

I also scan AvPlan, and OzRunways, enhanced with ADS-Pi - in traffic “paints”.  It surprises me how that electronic traffic info gets me peering in the exact direction of potentially conflicting traffic, but the eyeballs (thankfully still 20-20) only give me 20 to 30 seconds of visual on oncoming traffic, much less time than the electronic info.

Now, if pelicans had ADSB transponders, I could be even better informed?

• Haha 1