Why no Radio Calls?

That will never be a problem if you use the correct phraseology and transmission points. Most airfields around the east coast overlap from time to time, but you never get the numbers of a city airfield.

I don't think the problem is whether or not they are at a different airfield, but that it can be hard to get a word in when someone at a nearby (50nm or so) field want's to have a chat or tell the world every time do something( and that is unfortunately regular) on top of the necessary broadcasts by surrounding operations.

Sometimes it's almost like they plan it.....transmitting a longwinded um and ah filled broadcast at the exact moment I was about to call.

The circuit area is almost never busy, but consider that from the Darling Downs on multicom you will get every broadcast from Gympie, Coolum Kilcoy Gatton, Tyagara, Pittsworth, Clifton, Millmerran, Goodiwindi, Dalby, Tara, MacCaffrey Inglewood, Mugon, Wondai, Coominya and any other airfield in about 100 mile or so radius that doesn't have a discreet frequency.

Keep it brief, concise, but adequate.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Derek,My understanding is if not RAA, then you will need an AROC at minimum to use a radio.

I am an AROC instructor and I still personally think it’s just stupid not to make a 6 second radio call to let whomever might be there know you are there.

I just don’t get why anyone would want to sit in an ivory castle and stamp their feet like a spoilt child complaining about making calls. Simply ridiculous!!

I'm confused .. often .. I had to look up what AROC meant. As a PPL I don't require one. The holder of a pilot licence (PPL, MPL, CPL and ATPL) is authorised in accordance with CASR 61.435 to operate an aircraft flight radio. The holder of a pilot licence (PPL, MPL, CPL and ATPL) is authorised in accordance with CASR 61.435 to operate an aircraft flight radio.

Yeah man,Mine was more the point that the RAA radio endorsement is only for RAA operations. RPL pilots also have to go through radio endorsement, but not PPL and above.

But at an airfield and in the air you’re mixing it with everyone. There should be a single standard. It’s not as if it hard to learn

• Agree 1

Agreed 100%I was surprised when I learnt that RAA pilot does not have to hold an AROC!

Although an RAAus pilot is not required to hold an AROC, they are still required to be trained and assessed in the correct use of aircraft comms. Refer CAO 95.55, para 7.1(l)

I was surprised when I learnt that RAA pilot does not have to hold an AROC!

An applicant for the RPC must have sat and passed the 'Radio' theory exam as provided by RAAus Ops via their CFI.

Then, the CFI assesses the applicant on practical radio use during the flight test for the RPC. The CFI then completes the RAAus form 'Pilot Certificate Issue', which includes, (at the top of p2), aircraft group choices, and below that, boxes under the heading of 'endorsements'. The CFI should tick the radio box if satisfied the applicant meets requirements. Failure to meet radio requirements means a FAIL in the RPC test.

Then, should the RPC pilot decide to shift over to GA, and apply for an RPL, their radio competency will be recognised as equivalent to that of any other RPL applicant. Of course, the GA CFI is going to be assessing the pilots' radio work during the test for the RPL issue.

I haven't heard any feedback that RPC pilots have lower radio competency than other RPL applicants. It could be the case that RPC pilots who have never operated out of busy CTAFs with RPT/RFDS/RAAF traffic may be a bit wobbly on radio if they were doing their RPL at that location. However, it's usual that the RPC pilot needs at least 2 hrs of IF, and if this is flown at the CTAF where they will be tested for RPL: then there should be no worries with radio.

happy days,

Lucky you don't have to do morse code anymore. It's all too easy. Have you brain in gear before your mouth works. Use words like you are paying for each one.. RAAus is as Poteroo says. One of the biggest problems is getting people to tell where they are in relation to a location. Like SSW, NE of the "locality" . Get it wrong and you have made a hazard not reduced one.. Nev

• Agree 2

Lucky you don't have to do morse code anymore. It's all too easy. Have you brain in gear before your mouth works. Use words like you are paying for each one.. RAAus is as Poteroo says. One of the biggest problems is getting people to tell where they are in relation to a location. Like SSW, NE of the "locality" . Get it wrong and you have made a hazard not reduced one.. Nev

Nev, reminds me of when I did my initial instrument rating, I think it required 10 wpm Morse receiving, because of other studies in electronics I had at the time 30wpm sending and receiving and found the nav aide speed (especially the DME) so slow that I would identify a letter before the full letter was transmitted.

A comical response from one character on an early departure (when before TWR opened the ATIS on the aids would transmit location only in Morse and some delay after TWR opened before ATIS info was updated) he asked for airways clearance and included “in receipt of dar dit dar dit dit”. Probably happened a bit around the traps but I only heard it the once and thought it was a good reply.

• Like 1

I agree. I always try to specify overhead or abeam xyz at x000 feet if possible rather than 10 miles south etc so anyone in the vicinity that either knows the area or has a map has a much better idea of where you actually are.

abeam only works if you've specified a track of say tracking from xyz to abc 10 miles east at 3000 time one five .. It's an orientation thing. You want it simple but with clarity.. Perhaps over (suburb) (when) at 3,000. tracking for (someplace well known.). Nev

abeam only works if you've specified a track of say tracking from xyz to abc 10 miles east at 3000 time one five .. It's an orientation thing. You want it simple but with clarity.. Perhaps over (suburb) (when) at 3,000. tracking for (someplace well known.). Nev

Well known to locals may be unknown to others. Lately I've heard a few calls 'overhead xyz suburb'. Great but I don't have a street directory open and have no idea where that suburb is. Also recently heard 'overhead Bunnings' . Not that helpful to non locals.

• Agree 2

I once 'ferried' a C-180 from Darwin to Brisbane i the 1970s. . .it had an HF rig radio and a morse key protruding from the panel on the RHS.with a plastic base to hold your wrist ! I tried ( for a larf )to send a position report using CW to Darwin FSU, but they called back and asked for it to be sent on 'Phone. . . so I had to wind out the longwire antenna 105 turns on the handle and talk to them on shortwave . . . .bloody amateurs. . .!

I once 'ferried' a C-180 from Darwin to Brisbane i the 1970s. . .it had an HF rig radio and a morse key protruding from the panel on the RHS.with a plastic base to hold your wrist ! I tried ( for a larf )to send a position report using CW to Darwin FSU, but they called back and asked for it to be sent on 'Phone. . . so I had to wind out the longwire antenna 105 turns on the handle and talk to them on shortwave . . . .bloody amateurs. . .!

Phil you probably weren't pedalling hard enuff!

• Haha 1

The long HF antenna is single use if you forget to retract it. An arresting moment over the fence... Done that route many times at similar altitudes. (around 8000) in the mid 60's.. Reporting points like Paradise and Nutwood Downs come to mind. I never saw anything remotely resembling Paradise, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder otherwise they'd never sell a Volkswagen beetle., would they.? Nev

• Haha 1

I got “Overflying left of the field” once.

My daft mate George,. . .was flying his Foxbat across the English Channel to LeTouquet and he missed 'SEEING' the airfield ( It is huge ) and said to the French ATC,. . ."I'll see you on the way back. . . "

They probably couldn’t understand your pommy accent on the morse.

Noooo. . . Due to my Amateur Radio prowess, I was able to send and recieve at approx 30 WPM morse,. . but ATC were not as good at it on that day( Apparently ) ( Shocked I was . . .)

• Like 1