RA-Aus Great Annual Event - NatFly!

BigPete

OK boys and girls - I'm going to Narromine this year with my 10 yr old grandson (my first time) ;)

Now I don't have an ASIC nor do I feel the need to have one. So I'm looking for whizz stop on the way that is not a security controlled airport. :;)6:

I've allowed around 3.5 hrs for the trip and I'd like to get around 2 hours under the belt before I stop. :)

So I need one on the way and one on the return trip. I'm open to suggestions.

Also:

Do I assume that their is no choice of parking area at Narromine - you just get slotted in as you arrive? :;)4:

Do you actually camp right next to your aeroplane? 018_hug.gif.8f44196246785568c4ba31412287795a.gif

If its no "startup" in the lines, how far do I have to pull my aeroplane. (Planning to arrive early and perhaps depart early)(Saturday) :big_grin:

Anything else I need to know? ;)

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My usual stops to Narromine from Melbourne if I don't go direct include Temora, Parkes and West Wyalong. No ASIC required as I understand it. Fuel prospects are Temora, Parkes and Forbes. There's a few others on the way that may be suitable.

You can park where you want. If you get there early, you will get a good spot.

The no-startup area is on the eastern side. Not so on the western side as it's mainly GA. Speaking of which I cranked up the Cirrus SR20 when I was there for a local flight and some pilot came running over to me in front of the aircraft trying to get me to shut the engine off. My passenger freaked out and thought something must be wrong, but he just thought it was a no startup area. I challenged him and his friends to try and push it to the flight line!

Worst case you'd have to pull it on grass for perhaps 100 metres. If you look at the attached picture the flight line is probably 200 metres long?

Camping is under the wing - one of the reasons for the no-startup areas.

I recommend that you stay if you can on Saturday night. It's the night of the RA-Aus dinner and presentations and the busiest in terms of aircraft and people. Friday night is one to make sure that you head out for dinner early on due to the number of public travelling through town looking for food.

Unfortunately don't think I can make it this year. Bought my first house last Friday and settlement is 2 days before Narromine (needs paint and carpet) and my car got written off on the freeway on Monday so I have a lot going on at the moment!

narro.jpg.933458121b9018da03eb7d5ecc2919f1.jpg

Strange coincidence, when Kaz and I were there last year in the Sportstar there was a Cirrus trying to taxi into the GA lines and there were a few cranky guys yelling at them that it was a "no engine running" area despite it being clearly detailed in the NOTAM and fly-in instructions that the western side of the taxiway is an engine running area. The marshalls that were there were also of little use as they were arguing with themselves as to whether it was an engine running area or not. Suffice to say the Cirrus went through with engine running and much yelling and swearing was done.

As Brent said, it may be easy to push a 300KG Jabby or similar around on the grass/dirt, try doing the same with a Cirrus or equivalent "heavy" without a few friends to help.

Peter

Apologies for branching off your primary subject, I would just like to comment on the no engine area issue.

In the NOTAM for this years Natfly it mentions both the permanent and the tempory tie down areas as seperate areas but only in relation to bringing your own tie down ropes and stakes.

It then states 'Note 1: During the period of the fly-in, the tie-down area is a "NO ENGINE" area....', no mention is made of whether this applies to just the permanent or both the permanent and temporary tie-down areas. I would read this as applying to all tie-down areas.

I have wandered around the temporary tie-down area under the impression that it was a designated no engine area.

Perhaps someone from RAA could clarify the situation, here and on site.

Mark

Peter

Back to your query, there is underwing camping on fairly hard ground, bring a good mat, I read somewhere that there is a camping fee for this.

There is also a caravan/camping area on the airport grounds nice soft grass :-) possibly a little more expensive but a bit quieter than the flight line if you want to just sit back for a while. Bookings Aerodrome Caravan Park 02 6889 2129

Mark

NATFLY Parking

Again, sorry about the thread hijacking but here's the extract from the AIP SUP - full available at: http://www.airservices.gov.au/publications/current/sup/s8-h12.pdf

As with Mark's assumption and based on Note 1 below, I'd suggest that the entire grassed (well dirt at least) parking area is a no engine area thereby leaving only the tarmac areas as "engine running" areas. No doubt there's a better way to have written that component to remove any ambiguity.

7. PARKING

7.1 Wire cables are permanently in position to the north of theNarromine

Ultralights building. Pilots need to provide their own tie--down ropes. A

“follow--me†vehicle will be available during peak traffic periods.

7.2 Due to the success of the event in previous years it is important that

pilots also bring tie down ropes and stakes in case wire cables are not

available due to increased aircraft parking.

Note 1: During the period of the fly--in, the tie--down area is a “NO

ENGINE†area from first light 21st of March until last light on the

23rd March 2008. Pilots are advised that taxiing or running of

engines in the tie--down lines is forbidden.

Last year the tie-down area was marked and surrounded by a fence, where the only way in there was through a gap in the fence, often past a marshall.

If all tie-downs are no-engine areas I won't come on principle because that's just plain stupid. How you are supposed to move your larger than ultralight aircraft I have no idea.

Guest grantisaac

Try Forbes

Hi Grant From Forbes Here.

You Could land in Forbes as No Asic is required. ( Parkes requires an asic card plus the aerobatics are on there as well) Plenty of food and drink available plus Fuel.

• 2 weeks later...

Recreational Aviation Australia (RA-Aus) will be holding their annual NatFly event at Narromine N.S.W. over the Easter weekend.

Every year this huge event is home to over 700 recreational aircraft and pilots coming from all corners or Australia and even some from overseas.

The events begins with Instructor Forums for RA-Aus Instructors on the Thursday followed by open public forums on the Friday and Saturday. There are many aircraft on display and Aviation products available from the many trade stands spread around the airfield at Narromine.

Camping grounds with toilets and showers are available right next to the airfield as well as under wing camping.

poster.jpg.735e9f6a6fa3863968733eb865ca1340.jpg

plan.jpg.45e12af7fcf56cc63adeb9df18edd485.jpg

instforum.jpg.d0a64e07f7392f4b6f6c032784b8a716.jpg

friforum.jpg.91b834dadf9badc2e2fb5b74cd41a1ee.jpg

satforum.jpg.f9f5fe8bc4c7326e6a5967e0ad38c08a.jpg

Guest AusDarren

I got a giggle out of the photo on the natfly poster..

Not to many beaches in the circut area at Narromine as I recall

makes a better poster with the beach though keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif

Regards,

AusDarren

makes a better poster with the beach though

There are excellent beaches on the Macquarie at Narromine. They are world renouned.

However not quite as good as Wagga Beach on the Murrumbidgee, with it's 5 o'clock wave.

Beaches aren't the problem. Water may be. Suggest you all take your sluggos and your version of Annette Funicello, and let's party, dudes.

Guest David C
And don't forget to visit me on stand 21.

Yes I'm sure we'll pop in and say G'day Slarti , and Gary of course ..

Dave C

Guest Fred Bear

Forecast still looking good too :big_grin: Now need to work out how to fit an esky full of beer in the Cheetah...

Guest David C
Forecast still looking good too :big_grin: Now need to work out how to fit an esky full of beer in the Cheetah...

Oh No ... Don't tell me Darren .. You want cold beer ? ... Whats wrong with ya , just adopt the pommie way . I'll have my old mate Johnnie Walker traveling with me , and my favourite "chateau cardboard " of course .:thumb_up:

Dave C