Remote airstrip upgrade program

NT5224

Hi folks

Has anybody here previously applied for support through the remote airstrip upgrade program? 

https://www.infrastructure.gov.au/aviation/regional/raug.aspx

Looking back at previous successful applications, they either come from Shire Councils, Government agnecies or private companies (pastoral stations and energy companies). The terms of funding require the applicant holds an ABN, but nothing else, so its not unreasonable to assume that privately owned airstrips might be eligible if some 'public good' can be domestrated. But I can't see the names or addresses of any private applicants listed among previous funded projects...  But that might just be because none have applied.

Has anybody on here previously applied and been knocked back?  If so,  were any reasons given why  remote privately owned  airstrips would not be eligible? Interested to know more.

Cheers

Alan

The key definitive word is "aerodrome", not airstrip - despite the document you linked to, starting off with "Airstrip", then changing the wording to "Aerodrome".

Aerodromes at a minimum have an operating manual, and most Aerodromes are certified.

I haven't read through the fine details, but I'd expect the guidelines would exclude privately-owned airstrips, and the funding is only available for registered Aerodromes.

I examined the list of aerodromes that have been approved for funding, and could only find one that rates as an "airstrip" - Kunawarritji (Well 33) along the Canning Stock Route.

But Kunawarritji airstrip is fenced, is maintained by the Kunawarritji Community, and has now received funding for solar lighting - meaning that with a little extra assistance, the community could probably put together an Aerodrome operating manual, and have their airstrip classed as an Aerodrome.

Approximately 5000 4WD'ers and 4WD coach tours travel the CSR annually, and Kunawarritji is an important stop for virtually all of them.

This remote tourism, as well as the local Indigenous communities needs, makes Kunawarritji airstrip a fairly necessary piece of infrastructure.

You'd have to be a long way from the Black Stump to have no other strips around. Even in the remotest Outback and Station country, there's generally a strip of some type within a reasonable distance.

I think the aim of the Govt funding is to improve aerodromes that are reasonably well-used, but which need improvements to be brought up to speed.

It's possibly being driven by the need for the RFDS to have improved airstrips as their aircraft numbers increase, and they acquire faster and larger aircraft.

"It's possibly being driven by the need for the RFDS to have improved airstrips as their aircraft numbers increase, and they acquire faster and larger aircraft."

IF that was it, Wellington should qualify, as it's next the  New prison & it's owned by council.

Wello could do with a bit of money. ( like us all).

spacesailor

You'd have to be a long way from the Black Stump to have no other strips around. Even in the remotest Outback and Station country, there's generally a strip of some type within a reasonable distance.

Hmmm... Not sure I'd agree with this. A strip is only useful to you if you can glide to it (or a road or a flat open paddock) in event of  engine failure.  Assuming the  glide ratio of something like a C 172  ( and windless conditions and great flying) you'd probably get  about 8-10km from 3500ft.   

In 'station country' land is often cleared, but  there's an still awful lot of wilderness  around parts of Australia, and going into the trees is not a desirable outcome by anybody's standards. 

My place isn't particularly remote,  but its 30 km to the nearest station strip and 10 km from  the closest scrubby paddock or station track where you might  attempt an out landing. But heading the other direction, no strip for 35km across thickly timbered and rocky escarpment country dissected by ravines and gorges.  Tiger Country.  

Several recreational and  GA aircraft pass over my house each day, including station aircraft, trainee aviators doing navs, and charters  out to indigenous communities. They mainly fly  at between 3000-5000ft.   I have often wondered  what  they would do in event of an engine failure over our country.  My strip is primarily for my own use and approved visitors, but in event of an emergency overhead, it might just save a life.      

Alan

• Like 1

My BAD wording.

"Wellington should qualify, as it's next the  New prison & it's owned by council."

The airfield is owned by council. & if a serious prison injury happens ,the patient IS transported by Road to Dubbo.

The prison wanted to take over the airport initially, & exclude civilians. That didn't happen. 

But to get the extra money & upgrade for the RFDS, would help a small council, (now taken-over by Dubbo City council), In attracting more flyers to Wellington,  ( airport has it's own name).     Bodangora Airstrip  

spacesailor