Fuel line for Rotax 582

BillLipson

Appreciate any advise on what type of fuel line to use on my Rotax 582. Mike Stratman refers to a "clear blue urethane line" as his preference but I cannot identify what this is called commercially? Also, can I use the same line for the vacuum impulse line to the rear of the fuel pump as it needs to be resistant to internal collapse?

Hi Bill,

No expert on 2/ so dont know why it may be important to use a clear blue urethane line (which you can probably get from the better motor cycle/mower shops) but I can recommend Gates Barricade fuel hose products which you can get through Repco (haggle). Their fuel lines are not clear  but will be more than equal to piping your fuel. 

http://www.gatesaustralia.com.au/~/media/files/gates-au/automotive/brochures/cooling-system-and-hose-products/gates-fuel-hose-flyer--june-2018.pdf

Hi Bill, I used the clear blue type fuel line on my son's racing Kart for six years all good. I liked it so much that I fitted it on my 582 pre mix Thruster, less than a year later during a pre flight there was a split, not good. Maybe it was a bad $hit brand but I was not prepared to risk it again, black rubber Gates style hose for me now.  

• Like 1

Appreciate any advise on what type of fuel line to use on my Rotax 582. Mike Stratman refers to a "clear blue urethane line" as his preference but I cannot identify what this is called commercially? Also, can I use the same line for the vacuum impulse line to the rear of the fuel pump as it needs to be resistant to internal collapse?

Flylight Airsport in UK sell fuel line and are very reasonable in getting cheapest postage, and usually about 6 days delivery.  May be worth a look on their webb site.  Cheers

Hi Bill, I used the clear blue type fuel line on my son's racing Kart for six years all good. I liked it so much that I fitted it on my 582 pre mix Thruster, less than a year later during a pre flight there was a split, not good. Maybe it was a bad $hit brand but I was not prepared to risk it again, black rubber Gates style hose for me now.  

There was blue fuel line that stayed flexible and lasted nearly forever. Then a look-alike came on the market that crumbles in no time..... Can't tell the difference when new. Go for Gates or similar quality automotive black rubber.

Thanks to all for your advise. Might look at using the Gates' hose.

Check out the pdf I sent you - all the sizes  & part numbers are there for ordering through Repco. The fuel injection hose is usually about X 2 times the cost of the lower pressure carburettor hose. The difference is the FI has a higher burst pressure & lower permiability and is possibly slightly stiffer than the lower pressure hose. Don't know about your Repco but mine will often negotiate the price.

Howdy All,

I have recently done a service on a Pipistrel Virus. In its 5 year rubber kit was a fuel line called Ariete (purple, double walled, unleaded petrol).

A bit of research showed this:

The inner clear pipe is covered with a purple outer tube which protects from high engine temperatures, mechanical stress and is shrink proof. Highly durable and flexible with a translucent inner to enable you to see dirty fuel through the pipe. I also believe I read somewhere that the inner hose was silicon, but I can't find the reference anymore.

Check out this URL for the different types available : https://www.ariete.com/sites/default/files/prodotti/download/Scheda unica Full pipe.pdf

Another consideration is that the best price I could get was $13.50/m. So not necessarily the best priced product, but I have been pleased with it so far.

There was blue fuel line that stayed flexible and lasted nearly forever. Then a look-alike came on the market that crumbles in no time..... Can't tell the difference when new. Go for Gates or similar quality automotive black rubber.

Agree; I had some ; purchased from aircraft spruce and it crumpled in the coil unused.  Would have been about 3 years old.

If Flylight in UK sell his size, and I'm sure they do he can be reassured they are flying with the hose themselves and build and repair aircraft.  Therefore know the performance and lasting ability of what they are using.  They only sell products they know and are happy with.

Howdy All,

I have recently done a service on a Pipistrel Virus. In its 5 year rubber kit was a fuel line called Ariete (purple, double walled, unleaded petrol).

A bit of research showed this:

The inner clear pipe is covered with a purple outer tube which protects from high engine temperatures, mechanical stress and is shrink proof. Highly durable and flexible with a translucent inner to enable you to see dirty fuel through the pipe. I also believe I read somewhere that the inner hose was silicon, but I can't find the reference anymore.

Check out this URL for the different types available : https://www.ariete.com/sites/default/files/prodotti/download/Scheda unica Full pipe.pdf

Another consideration is that the best price I could get was $13.50/m. So not necessarily the best priced product, but I have been pleased with it so far.

I do not doubt "its good stuff" but if the cost is high, this must be weighed against replacing it in 5 years - ie no point in purchasing something that is priced for and will last last 10 years if something else at a fraction of the price, will easily last 5 years.