Deaf pilots, no radio pilots and Aviators looking for fun!

farri

For those on facebook, I`ve had a facebook account for several years,  https://www.facebook.com/franco.arri . Over the weekend I came across this group, https://www.facebook.com/groups/deafpilots/ , requested to join and was accepted.

There`s a guy a couple of houses up the road, who is totally deaf, can`t hear a thing, but is a brilliant lip reader and can speak! he holds a car and motor bike drivers licence… This guy is a brilliant lip reader and it`s easy to hold a conversation with him and brief him so I`ve taken him flying in the Drifter several times and will continue taking him up.

Way back in the days of the A.U.F and when I was instructing, a guy who was almost totally deaf came to me wanting to learn to fly Ultralights... This guy was in the Dutch air force to become a pilot, was riding a bicycle on the base, came off, hit his head on the concrete and lost most of his hearing so it was the end of any chance of becoming a pilot, I took him on and he was able to solo and obtain an A.U.F. pilot certificate. 

Franco.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 1

I have always wondered why we have to pass a hearing test to get a pilots medical. Then as soon as we get in the plane we put on a headset.

e can fly with a hearing aid, but the headset will boost the radio to let partially deaf people hear well enough. On the odd occasions I have flown with my hearing aid in I have just wondered why the noise is different.

https://www.casa.gov.au/sites/default/files/radio-procedures-in-non-controlled-airspace.pdf

CARRYING A RADIO IN NON-CONTROLLED AIRSPACE AIP GEN 1.5 In Australia, VFR aircraft must carry a radio when you are: » at or above 5,000 feet in Class G airspace » ‘in the vicinity’ of aerodromes that are certified, registered or military » below 3,000 feet AMSL or 1,000 feet AGL (whichever is higher) in reduced VMC (visibility 5 km and clear of cloud and in sight of ground or water). Remember, ‘in the vicinity’ is within 10 nm, and at a height where your operations could be in the way of other traffic. RADIO FREQUENCIE .

"in reduced VMC".... So I take it radio is not mandatory for a VFR flight below 5,000 feet, in VMC, in class G airspace, therefore, level of hearing should not be an issue and the carriage of radio is a choice.

Franco.

Years back I rented a house next to a deaf couple, also brilliant lip readers, was amazing.

... but oh boy did we howl in laughter when we heard the phone ringing out (landline)!!

Never did understand why they had a phone, maybe for emergency.

Mobile phones must be so great for them now, vibrate for notifications, and message family, friends etc.

"Never did understand why they had a phone, maybe for emergency".

G`Day Mark! Yeah! The deaf guy up the road can have you rolling with laughter also, just by his hand gestures, facial expressions and the way he explains things! (no disrespect intended).

Peter, lives with his parents!  he has a trained dog to let him know the phone is ringing!  As you brought it up, I will ask him about the phone.

Franco.

It never ceases to amaze me, how warning devices usually emit a high-pitched tone, that can't be heard by people with hearing deficiencies.

It's the ability to hear high-pitched sounds that goes first, when your hearing deteriorates. So a low-pitched tone is a better warning sound for those with hearing problems.

Most males over 60 that have worked in industrial/machinery/engine-closeness environments have hearing loss of varying degrees.

Had to smile, the missus and I were going for a walk locally, and an old fella about 90 came down the street towards us on his flash gopher, complete with indicators (and he was on the road, and why wouldn't you be, it's fitted with indicators, isn't it? LOL ). 

But he'd left an indicator on - and it was fitted with a (VERY) loud high-pitched scream for a warning buzzer - and the old fella couldn't hear this screaming warning buzzer, and as he went past, we yelled at him, "you've got your indicator on!!" - at which he just grinned back at us, and waved and roared past, still with the indicator on, and still with the warning screaming buzzer going full bore!!  LOL

• Haha 1

I am pretty sure that there are apps for deaf people so when their smartphone rings & vibrates the voice from the other end is converted to text so they can have a fairly normal phone discussion.

• Like 2

If it's anything like the Telstra voice-to-text messaging, it would be next to useless, as the messages are usually turned into gobbledegook.

I got one yesterday - in the message, "Ron" was turned into "John", "tracks" became "gates", and "Esperance" became "Western". Computerised Voice recognition has a long way to go.

• Haha 1

This has got to make you laugh! This is the totally deaf guy just up the road, I take flying...So what`s so funny?

[ATTACH]42373[/ATTACH]

Franco.

Reminds me of the complaints I used to receive about one of my workplace gardening team not using PPE - he didn't wear ear muffs when operating the industrial size ride on lawn mower - profoundly deaf!

• Haha 1

Peter, lives with his parents!  he has a trained dog to let him know the phone is ringing! 

Bark once for yes, twice for no ... lol!

Proud of my Daughter who can sign in 2 sign languages (there's more than one)

• Haha 1