Plane crash in NT and one missing in NSW

Regarding repetition M61A1, Familiarity breeds contempt. Doing things the same way over and over is a situation where if you get out of the normal (learned ) sequence things start to come unstuck fast.  This where people usually omit an essential action like forgetting the wheels.  WE also tend to make doing any task as simple as possible ( Minimum effort) and this can also lead to cutting corners and not doing check lists..

The function of a check list is subject to debate. Some use it as confirmation they have done the necessary actions .  Others use it as the PROMPT for the actions. I consider the first one best as you should do things at the APPROPRIATE PLACES  in the conduct of the flight..  In this respect a "slide" list is better than a written list.  Nev

• Informative 1

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. There seems to be a pattern like that. The red DH Dragon sticks in my mind.

We had breakfast with Des at Monto and off he went. Makes that lesson easier for me to remember! It is shocking to think how many of the regulars at flyins in this era have left us since then in these sort of circumstances. The guys who ate with these guys before they left will particularly remember this lesson. Let's hope the lessons come to mind when the cloud is closing in and stress is rising in the cockpit. Gethomeitis is not confined to aviation but seems to treat aviators more harshly than average. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Queensland_DH.84_Dragon_crash&ved=2ahUKEwjt0tP1l4fnAhVdIbcAHVv8DawQFjAEegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw26kSPj_eeD3HuYdK3fPDDS

• Like 2

That one is always a good reminder for me.

I was taking the Drifter with pax and fully loaded up to a Gympie weekend fly-in a few years ago. It was perfect weather on the Downs and at Gympie, but I ran into poor weather just past Jimna and diverted to Kilcoy instead. My decision was confirmed with another pilot also on the ground at Kilcoy, not willing to risk pressing on to Gympie.

When I checked my track on Google Earth, my turn around point was about 6 NM south of where the Dragon was found.

• Like 1

I recall a time I was going WMD to Bankstown for a social event with 4 other planes from RNAC. I was the only one who arrived . That could be a bit telling of my judgement at the time.  (in retrospect) . I always give weather situations a wide berth.. One of the most careful pilots I've ever known, (and a good friend) flew into a cliff face in cloud, climbing.  He would have to be the last person I would have expected to do that..  Nev