Plane Pics

Phil Perry1

It has a very large chunk of the left rudder missing. Curious

Good spotting Litespeed, I didn't notice that. It doesn't seem consistent with a too low on approach belly flop. Looks like a big shark bite.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lightened the photo and enlarged it a bit. I guess it's fire damage. Makes you wonder why that section would burn out though. It would take a fair bit of heat to do that. Duralumin and possibly hydraulic oil in that area would be all that's there. If the plane caught fire due to fuel burning, you would think a lot more of it would be destroyed before the rudder section melted.

It would have to be those pesky Russians for sure. No doubt on direct orders from that crazy, mad Putin chap.

1a.jpg.d8dc95afc2704b84b9c3ef7d8098781e.jpg

Hot section engine damage could do that. It might be the reason it didn't make the runway. Don't think the gear was down either. Could have been intentional. Nev

Nev, that sounds the most likely scenario. Perhaps a casing failure in the nozzle/jet pipe section burning through to the rudder while still airborne.

My money is on it been hit by Russian rebels with something. Damage is bit too specific on rudder also burn damage on other rudder and in front on rudder by looks of it along the fuselage.

I reckon some damage from a missile, where it explodes in proximity. They are a tough bird , the missile was possibly a partial dud. I reckon damaged undercarriage as well. Hence landed off field in snow to not stuff up the runway.

Things are pretty hot in Ukraine since Putin went on ego trip and he knows Trump will do nothing but kiss his arse.

Litespeed, it crashed 800k's west of where the fighting has been in the Donbass. Too far to fly with a tail shot up like that. It crashed coming in to land at Ozerne Air Base, west of Kiev. The military press release said it was on a scheduled training flight. Apparently the pilot died, so they don't really know the cause, probably not till after the investigation.

How the pilot died is anyone's guess. The cockpit area doesn't look very burnt, but the way it's crumpled up with what looks like the seat bent forward, it might have been crush injuries. He might have been busy trying to save the plane and ran out of time to pull the handle.

As an update, I did some reading on the pilot. He was Major Alexander Fomenko, a combat veteran from the civil war in the east in 2014, and after returning from that region, was based at Ozerne. At the time of the accident he was a Pilot 1st. Class, with 482 hours total flying time and proficient in all weather navigation as an instructor. He was chief of air fire and tactical combat training for the tactical aviation brigade. It's makes it likely he was on a combat training mission at the time of the crash.

It's the second Su-27 Ukraine lost within two months of each other. The previous one was during a joint exercise with NATO, with two Colonels killed, one a Ukrainian regiment commander and the other an American Colonel from the air national guard.

• 2 weeks later...

I took my son to YMML today to catch a plane to the US. I returned via Essendon Fields (YMEN). As I drove along Wirraway Road, the crossing gate was closed, and I snapped this photo of a Learjet crossing Wirraway Road.

2073407904_N82GGcrossingWirrawayRd.thumb.JPG.f84516698e751638aa9166ec0b2c0747.JPG

Not really, Space. Aircraft are crossing that road a number of times a day.There are a number of maintenance hangars across the road and aircraft are moving back and forth regularly. In the Google screenprint below, Wirraway Rd is marked in blue. Before Tulla, it ended at the small arrow. The taxiway to the maintenance hangars is marked in red. Wirraway Rd was extended to join the Tulla Freeway, and the gateway at the crossing installed to allow aircraft access to those hangars, now occupied by a number of operators.An airport security van comes around to open and close the gates when an aircraft needs to pass through. The northern end of Wirraway Rd is now a major car dealership area with a number of dealerships located there.

These links are to planes using that area of the field.

Canadair CL=600

Gulfstream G550

Dassault 900

1429570775_wirrawayrd.JPG.a3c7f607653b1f349d692268eed78f3a.JPG

I hear that Melbourne is needing another "Forth" airport.

are they greedy or what ?

Esseindon, Tullamarine, Avalon, & moorabbin airports, plus the RAAF Williams.

That seems an awful lot

spacesailor

Yes Space, there has been talk for 18 months or more about an airport at Koo Wee Rup, sometimes referred to as Melbourne's Badgery's Creek. See map.

1449622479_kooweerup.thumb.JPG.59314434e07e27f9ecc24000cd1560f7.JPG

WHO's going to FX (computer generated) A "Hummel Bird" on a two door garage door with a mullion in the centre.

If It looks good, (great would be better) I'll try my hand at spray painting it for real.

My desktop with good programs died, now on the wifey's laptop.

LUCsHummelBird.jpg.c45be02cab7554bb5fa687ba44a97838.jpg

something like thi perhaps.

spacesailor

Yes Space, there has been talk for 18 months or more about an airport at Koo Wee Rup, sometimes referred to as Melbourne's Badgery's Creek. See map.

[ATTACH=full]3813[/ATTACH]

The alignment of the WWII airfield is still visible due south of the township of Bayles

1548882302820.png.bcc7ab1be844486fbeae9088f4479f2c.png

We are lucky that there is bi-lateral political agreement on preventing foreign takeover of Australian assets ... as long as the Parties don't have to give back the money.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/australia-ends-residency-of-high-profile-chinese-businessman/2019/02/06/b1ac6424-29f0-11e9-906e-9d55b6451eb4_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.df4884b15f07