Kinglake West Airfield? - does anyone know about this?

SGM

I visited it once, at least 15 years ago. It was deactivated a long time ago. Maybe a new owner has reactivated it for private use. Just guessing.

There Was one in Toongabbie, belonging to ' Transavia aviation '.

I wonder where as the area has a large powner line grid, with a substation on Powers road.

Nowdays Trans avia, comes as a European airline company, !, and nill maps of that  seven hills erea.

spacesailor

On 1/11/21 at 1:13 PM, spacesailor said:

I wonder where as the area has a large powner line grid, with a substation on Powers road.

Nowdays Trans avia, comes as a European airline company, !, and nill maps of that  seven hills erea.

spacesailor

They used to fly the Airtruks from there

On 01/11/2021 at 1:13 PM, spacesailor said:

Hi Spacey,

I searched Transavia Airtruk and found a photo of one in a museum. The accompanying article gave the address of Transavia as 73 Station St Seven Hills. That's right near the roundabout on the corner of Tollis Place. That puts it only a short distance from the power line that runs down MacKenzie St. Toongabbie, a nice long, straight section of land. Not far to truck the planes. Maybe the power line was erected after Transavia left. A possibility.

image.thumb.png.cf9ba7ef7f49ed930384abe95b010bda.png

A bloke called Neil (ex navy pilot with a grey beard,) used to fly for Transavia and demonstrate the Airtruck, his party piece was to put 2 passengers in the rear seat and do aerobatics. The Airtruck was a nice machine to fly, light harmonised controls and pretty efficient with a 300 HP. They came with all sorts of engines from Continental 250ish HP, also 540 Lyc's. There are a few still flying I think they are 720's.

Edited by Student Pilot

Agreed Nev, I have never heard anybody call an Airtuck handsome.  An Ag Cat with a 985 and the hopper converted to a couple of seats would make a good Sunday afternoon cruiser. Except maintenance and the 100 litres an hour fuel flow might be a bit spensive! 

• Like 1