Restoring the Blackburn Bev

Garfly

I was bitten by a triumph motorcycle and a Morris Minor as a youth and a Jaguar ruined me financially through its engineering incompetence then there was finally trying to fix my British father in laws rover made me realise that all British engineering transport products  built after 1936 should be euthanised. The Bae 146 didn't help either although the ALF502 was a Lycoming product.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Bit like the camel and the horse…an aircraft designed by a committee! But it certainly looked like a useful transport. Personally I think the turbine engined Argossy was impressive.

Just think the Argossy was one of the ultimate twin boomers. Yes true, but power to weight wise, the turbo I would think allows for a better load capability. Let’s face it, helicopters only became really useful machines, after the introduction of the turbine engine.

Edited by F10
  • Agree 1

A long time ago, when I was about 16 and an apprentice working at Edinburgh (Turnhouse) airport there was, were??? A C130 and an Argosy of the RAF parked on our apron and I had the opportunity to wander through both. I recall the Argosy flight deck just about having room for the crew whilst the C130 had room for the crew, a bunk and a galley. In the cargo hold the Argosy hydraulics we’re all bonding strips and lockwire whilst the C130 had nary a bonding strip or lockwire to be seen! My very first experience of something with which I became familiar in later years in BOAC. Parker flareless connections!

Edited by derekliston
Spelling error!

6 hours ago, facthunter said:

Think you mean Deltic ? I could be wrong too as I'm from memory. Napier probably built the most classy of aero engines.  Nev

I could be wrong too, but wasn’t the Deltic English Electric?

6 hours ago, facthunter said:

Think you mean Deltic ? I could be wrong too as I'm from memory. Napier probably built the most classy of aero engines.  Nev

Right again Nev, the Sabre wuzza bewdy engine too! H pattern 24 cyl sleeve valve. With all those moving parts what could possibly go wrong?

• 1 year later...

If the Beverlys so great what about the last remaining Shorts Belfast - last seen/could still be there, Cairns Airport. Its owner, an Australian, about to recommission her.

I forgot to mention - 50 were order for the RAF - the new British Prim minister, M Thatcher, cut the order down to 10 and purchased American C130's instead - who ever said politics made sense?

Edited by skippydiesel
  • Informative 1