Add Extra Fuel Capacity?

jackc

Would be really keen to add fuel range to the Thruster.   Found this photo somewhere in the Internet wastelands.

What do people think of this modification?

118B779C-BD06-42E4-8ACA-EFFAB84CB0A0.jpeg

Those chinook fuel tanks are rather expensive for what you get - 19l of fuel and the tank is over A$500 plus shipping and GST from the USA.

if I have that sort of cash for a fuel tank I’d go for a seat tank -two items for the price of 1 😛

42 minutes ago, kasper said:

Those chinook fuel tanks are rather expensive for what you get - 19l of fuel and the tank is over A$500 plus shipping and GST from the USA.

if I have that sort of cash for a fuel tank I’d go for a seat tank -two items for the price of 1 😛

And then there will be the MARAP thing with RAAus and as Thruster said, the mounting may be a problem and possibly not be allowed due to weight. The other choice is a 20l Turtlepac?  Seats would be nice but again the dreaded MARAP process?

I have written previously about the huge effect of a small piece of angle section attached to the bottom of the doors of a thruster. It basically destroyed the air flow over the elevators. Be very careful of attaching anything to the side of the thruster.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

On 22/11/2021 at 7:24 PM, tillmanr said:

I have written previously about the huge effect of a small piece of angle section attached to the bottom of the doors of a thruster. It basically destroyed the air flow over the elevators. Be very careful of attaching anything to the side of the thruster.

Thrusters have never had doors.

Ok, lift up flap enclosers. Maybe I was exaggerating on the sophistication of the devices. I had a number of hours in a Thruster 20 years ago.

Edited by tillmanr
Added information

2 hours ago, Methusala said:

Thrusters have never had doors.

Ummm.  Yes some do.  
T500’s most had doors - front hinge

T300’s could have them - front hinge
TST/Geminis are not supposed to have them (or the rear cabin bulkhead)

At least two single seaters had had enclosures including doors added - front and top/bottom hinge.  

On 21/11/2021 at 7:59 PM, jackc said:

I do have a 68 litre tank as it is, maybe I will add a 20l Turtlepac for added range, strap it in the Pax seat?

Turtle - Pac are pretty pricy . The 20 L is a collapsible "jerry can" - go the 40 L and you get the full in flight transfer capability.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, skippydiesel said:

Turtle - Pac are pretty pricy . The 20 L is a collapsible "jerry can" - go the 40 L and you get the full in flight transfer capability.

Shame there was not a 30L one, I think 40L maybe too big but whatever I get can also work for my Aeropup, too.

On 24/11/2021 at 3:17 PM, kasper said:

T500’s most had doors

My understanding is that no Thrusters came from the factory with doors fitted. All were manufactured so retro-fitting doors would be problematical. Of course many owners took an alternative view.

On 24/11/2021 at 6:09 PM, jackc said:

Shame there was not a 30L one, I think 40L maybe too big but whatever I get can also work for my Aeropup, too.

The way I see it a small passenger say 50 kg  - so replacing passenger with a 40 L fuel bladder plus transfer pump, is going to be well within your aircrafts capability - expect to pay about $2k from Laszlo at Turtle-Pac.

His larger bladders have a umbilical like filler hose but not the 40L - might make filling in aircraft a problem/conversely filling befor loading a strain on the old body

Edited by skippydiesel