Does FlightRadar24 show all the heavies?

Marty_d

I've just had a twin engine RPT jet go over my house 3 times.  This is strange because the next airstrip to the south of me that can handle an A320 / B737 is Antarctica, and generally speaking planes landing at or orbiting HBA don't come this far south.

However it doesn't show on FlightRadar24.  Why would this be?

Cheers, Marty

Edited by Marty_d

At about 6:00PM last night, I watched the contrails of two very high-flying large jets (one about 5 mins behind the other) overflying my workshop in Perth - one heading directly South, and the other one, directly S/SW.

There's only Antarctica and the Southern Ocean in those directions, and you just almost never see flights heading that direction and at that height over Perth. However, I have seen them a couple of times before, in the last year or so. 

I'm guessing they're long-distance U.S. military flights for some reason. I haven't looked up FR to see if they appeared on there.

Edited by onetrack

This one's just gone over another 2 or 3 times, so they're definitely doing ovals in the sky and not going from one spot to another.  Nev we almost never get jets over, which is what made me go take a look.  The last one was a RAAF C17 that went over at about 500ft or less, that was impressive.

Drifting threadwise here (as we do) I recently had a lengthy but fruitless exchange with FR over their use of the term 'Calibrated Height' which is what they claim to display.
The only references I have been able to find online to 'calibrated height' imply that it is a corrected value: the actual height.

But what FR displays appears to be raw transponder data, not corrected for barometric pressure.

Anyone got anything to add to that?

20 hours ago, Marty_d said:

Make that 4 times.  Must be a training flight.  I thought they used simulators for that now, cheaper than tooling round in an empty heavy.

Hi Marty D, it was a RAAF 737

When you cant see the aircraft on flight radar have a look at ADSB Exchange

Regards RW

• Like 1

I was in Pensacola a couple of years ago, where a Hercules was making odd orbits at altitude.

I was told the thing was fitted with a large cannon and a gunnery crew.

Odd to be out on that beautiful Gulf beach, with people circling above practising how to kill other people.........(

I’ve had a C-17 fly directly over my house at about 2,000’ although it seemed lower, being such a big bugger. Our airport sometimes gets very low runs from big military stuff. A RAAF pilot once told me their radar wouldn’t notice our little bug-smashers, so we’d all better keep our eyes peeled.