Foxcon Project

9 hours ago, onetrack said:

Many earthmover rims have fine grooves installed at 90° to the bead seat taper, in the taper. This prevents tyres spinning on the rims, which can be a major problem with earthmovers huge torque inputs by the powertrain, to the drive tyres.

You can do this to the bead seats of a rim, in a lathe, with a straight grooving (knurling) tool.

https://www.lprtoolmakers.com.au/knurling-tool-3-4-shank-cuts-straight/

Thats a good idea, I'd have to try and dig out my knurling gear

These alloy kart wheels are designed for tube less tyres, the beads on tube type aircraft tyres must be a little different, ie slightly bigger diameter. I If your big tyre is tubless it may work without mechanical lock.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

Great job, please watch the weights. On my SK jabiru kit, I was fanatic about weight savings. In the end, it came out at the exact weight it was rated to be.

It's just too easy to make things heavy.

Thanks mate, I'm trying to manage the weights as best as possible. The tyres are the trade off, but with going forward with a rotax conversion, I'm I little bit more ok with the bigger tyres

2 hours ago, Arron25 said:

Just a point of interest...After too many flat tyres ( lawn mower tyres) changed on the side of strips all over north Qld.. I have never had a tyre move on the rim, so I would probably believe a knurl would be the most that may be needed..

thanks mate, appreciate the help. ill have a look at what might suit best

• 2 weeks later...

Reskinning the tail due to there being some light damage from hail etc, impact damage to gelcoat. have put about 70 hours in it since i bought the aircraft earlier this year, need to be spending more time but i am getting there bit by bit, the fuse is definately the biggest hurtle, i thionk once i can get the fuse prepped, painted i think it will feel more like its coming together

20220328_200332.jpg

20220327_161734.jpg

• Like 6

• 5 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Paul davenport said:

Really getting stuck into it . Good on you 

Trying, havnt be able to much the last 2 weeks but getting closer to the fuse being on its legs again and paint

43 minutes ago, Paul davenport said:

Are you using Subaru motor or rotax 

Will be going with the rotax. I was pretty set on the Sub but the foxcon is on the heavier side, so if I can shave that extra weight it would be nice.

1 hour ago, Paul davenport said:

You should be happy with the rotax do you have a motor or on the hunt for one?

was lucky to find one a little a bit ago, have had it sitting in storage for 12 months

1 hour ago, FlyBoy1960 said:

Best choice you could make going to the Rotax.  The Subaru aircraft at our strip have all failed at one time or another

yeah, most guys i have spoken to have a had an outfield landing due to the the redrive belt letting go

Lighting isnt the best, im only getting 20 minutes here and there between work etc.....but it is progressing, should have it completely stripped by the end of the week(finally)  then body work, door fitting etc

20220510_182043.jpg

20220510_182048.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Paul davenport said:

Tenacious little fella . 

Cheers mate, still finding it hard to beleive but all up so far have removed just over 13kg of paint. has been eye opening, but it has had 3 different paintjobs