EFATO • C210 throws rod (US Nov '21) • video analysis

These three videos tell a good story; lessons about engine maintenance and handling an engine failure at take-off.  I recommend cutting to the chase - around 05:00 - on this first one.  The background is discussed better in the follow up films.  (Clicking through to watch on YouTube itself makes the - equally interesting - Comments section available.)

Here the guy talks for 20 mins (and reasonably succinctly ;- ) about the engine-shop issues he had preceding the incident and about his handling of the crisis.

The first 9 minutes of this third one is only for those interested in a forensic analysis of his EMS read-out. From around 09:00 onwards there's the plain english story of what happened to the engine.

Edited by Garfly
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

So. I'm not familiar with the internals of those engines: was the problem that someone did some disassembly and someone else did the assembly and missed something that had been disassembled?

50 minutes ago, IBob said:

So. I'm not familiar with the internals of those engines: was the problem that someone did some disassembly and someone else did the assembly and missed something that had been disassembled?

Yes is the simple answer, the more expensive but ultimately cheap answer is the original engine made a lot of metal and should have been overhauled rather than patched up. It is lucky the airframe was not lost as well.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just making it over a cement channel is not good either. Does this  guy fly around with 3 camera's all the time and talking into a mike?. . In aviation  IF a motor's making metal don't use it. Cutting the filter open is essential at each oil change and I reckon other symptoms would have been there as well. The rpm seemed a bit unstable at one point during take off. Anything unusual with the motor, abort the takeoff. You've only got ONE ENGINE Nev

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, facthunter said:

Just making it over a cement channel is not good either. Does this  guy fly around with 3 camera's all the time and talking into a mike?. . In aviation  IF a motor's making metal don't use it. Cutting the filter open is essential at each oil change and I reckon other symptoms would have been there as well. The rpm seemed a bit unstable at one point during take off. Anything unusual with the motor, abort the takeoff. You've only got ONE ENGINE Nev

Hindsight is a great animal, but this can and has happened to low time engines too..

The greatest single problem this bloke has, is using an engine repair shop that did not have sound overhaul practices and procedures with crosschecks (see from 8.55-on, in the 3rd video).

Leaving a circlip off a counterweight retaining pin is in the realm of backyard mechanics. Continental state clearly that all retaining circlips must be checked upon engine re-assembly.

• Informative 1