Bonza delayed

red750

It's interesting how Tim Jordan simply concentrates on what a good deal they got on new 737 MAX's, that so many other airlines won't buy - and fails to mention employees, staffing levels, and staff skills.

The bottom line is, getting new aircraft for a bargain basement price is not the be-all and end-all of operating a new LC carrier - it's all about building relationships with your customers - and the only way you do that, is employ good staff, pay them fair levels of renumeration, look after them - and the airline will succeed, no matter whether the aircraft are old or new. You build your business on your people, not on the equipment you're utilising.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kgwilson said:

Their first 3 aircraft have been named Shazza, Bazza & Sheila.

I hope that the pilots will wear AC/DC singlets in the summer, flannies and hoodies for winter. Thongs for the waitresses?

• Haha 1

Remember Bonza’s A/C are leased (from a major shareholder) so they got a very good deal to promote them and help grubby Boeing get some some trust back! This deal will allow Bonza to kick off with low operating costs, airframe wise. They will still operate in the same airspace under the same restrictions etc as the other grubs so their real ace in the whole is cheap new planes👍 I know several Check & Training guys who are onboard, sounds promising 👍Fingers crossed.

• Informative 1

6 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Check and training will have to do the job properly.  Nev

CAsA have been riding the guys something fierce! To be expected I guess with a few competitors in the background watching g VERY closely!

• Informative 1

Townsville Bulletin saying Bonza will have difficulty due to overcapacity (I think). Can't read more than the headline due to damned paywall.

• 1 year later...

Budget airlines have been boom and bust since the 1980s. Some like Easyjet & Ryanair have survived but then their market is huge. Several startups in the 90s between Australia, NZ and Fiji were great but eventually all folded. I used to fly between Australia & NZ for $200.00 return.

When I lived in Ireland, I could (and often did) fly to just about anywhere in Europe for about $100. That’s the difference that a large market with lots of competitors makes. Mind you, one of those carriers dropped me in Paris somewhat later than advertised - ie 2am, long after the metro had shut down for the night - so I had to walk through northern Paris looking like a tourist dragging a suitcase and expecting to be mugged at any moment.😳 Delays are the price you pay for cheap flights. 

So is $40.00 from Brisbane to Melbourne. These were ridiculously cheap and not every seat was this price.

The aim of these airlines is no frills & full aircraft and to gain customers offer super cheap starter prices. Eventually they have to raise the prices as they are losing money but their business model runs so close to the wire that any hiccups that occur, increase the debt till they fail. Often their aircraft leases are cheap when there is a glut of aircraft available but next time the lease price increases so their fares have to go up too but then the market begins to shrink. From there it is a downward spiral, sometimes starting slowly and then coming to an abrupt halt when the bank says "no more".

from what ive read the price was only part of the issue,

cant fly if you dont have an aircraft.

they kept changing the lease agreements, and got caught with no aircraft to fly as a result.

the article i linked about their leasing issues was posted yesterday, before these cancelled flights.

My comment was "general" . Of course you can't have an airline without planes .Feeder airlines are also harder to run profitably.  Sydney Melbourne is a money maker..  The number of hours/day the planes are in use is a consideration also. Nev

They had a rough start.  They started selling tickets in anticipation of CASA approving their route, however they didn't, and flights had to be cancelled with uncertainty as to when they could fly.  Approval took longer than anticipated and the media placed the blame on the airline.  The delays meant they had staff and aircraft sitting idle.  Then loss of public confidence.  They recently topped the list for on-time flights.  Friends who flew with them loved it.