Palmyra YPYA airfield celebrated 20 years

Palmyra airfield group celebrated 20 years of Aviation with current and past aircraft owners and pilots who operated from the airfield over the past 20 years and we were also thankful to have the mayor of Mackay Greg Williamson present as he is a talented and current pilot. Good to catchup and make new acquaintances. Well done to those that organised the occasion. Palmyra is at the western edge of Mackay controlled airspace in Queensland and a 700m private sealed strip 18/36 and is home airfield for 10 hangars that share the grounds with the Mackay Drag Race club so a few times a year it is closed and PPR is required for access and there is AvGas available by PPR.

20 year cake.jpg

Edited by Blueadventures
  • Like 6

9 hours ago, onetrack said:

When I first spotted the Palmyra name, it brought up memories of its namesake airfield, on a coral atoll in the middle of the Pacific Ocean .....

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/HI/Airfields_W_Pacific.htm#palmyra

Thanks mate I'll print out and hang in my hangar.  Cheers

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Palmyra's a great name. But for me it's always that sand blasted spot out in the scrub in Homs province. Dust storms and toppled columns. And more recently hoodlums with their black flags.

Alan

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kyle Communications said:

My boss was up there a few weeks ago with a drag weekend

I was there at a drag race meeting a few years ago, and a Savannah was flying backwards and forwards below a house up on the hill to the west, I don't think above 500'. Big crowd at the drag racing, big crowd at the Speedway meeting a couple of weeks before, and somewhere there ther's a big go kart track. Mackay's a good town for motorsport, but that was dwarfed by in invasion of the airport by a joint force of Australian and US military Army nd navy forces - brilliant.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, facthunter said:

Narrow all right. Nev

And usually more often than not an easterly cross wind and strip 18/36.  

Heaps our final line up skills well-honed:)

Edited by Blueadventures