Rotax powering Iranian drones ?

I was speaking with a European ELA manufacturer around a month ago, who usually purchases a significant number of 80hp Rotax 912UL engines every year.  This year, when they placed an order for more 80hp engines the apparent response from Rotax was that they couldn't supply any at all due to 'supply chain issues'.  This was the first time ever, that Rotax had had difficulties with supply.

At that time, there was a rumour in Europe that Rotax engines were ending up in Iranian drones.

This may well be pure speculation/rumour/scuttlebutt and I have absolutely no evidence other than this comment in passing in the conversation with the ELA manufacturer regarding their specific circumstances.

Hence, what caught my eye, was this article in the mainstream media..............

Rotax Engine Found In Iranian Mohajer-6 Drone Downed Over Ukraine (msn.com)

It will be interesting to follow this story and see how Rotax responds.  Clearly an engine can be bought and sold many times through legitimate channels before ending up in its final usage, which may not necessarily be legitimate.  As the story mentions, looking at serial numbers and a chain of custody may be revealing if there is any sort of accompanying paper trail. 

The pictured engine is a 912iS, so drone usage may not be confined to the 80hp 912 UL.

CC

• Informative 1

it has been known for a while  that they are sourcing engines new at retail prices, they are purchasing used engines with low hours from aircraft accidents and in some cases engines are even being stolen from aircraft. This has been public for about 4 years

• Agree 1

You would probably be surprised at the number of stolen Rotaxes, or Rotaxes purchased with cash money from wrecked aircraft here, that end up in sea containers, listed as some other type of goods - that go to a 3rd world country with lax importation checks - and the sea container is then transhipped to Iran, without being opened or inspected. The Iranians aren't going to reject imports of useful items that benefit their arms industry.

A typical useful 3rd world transhipment destination is the big island directly to our North.

I can remember a bloke from NSW who had his Toyota Prado disappear from its parking spot in the street in Sydney a few years ago. He duly claimed insurance, as the vehicle could not be located anywhere here - not intact, nor even as a wreck.

Then, about a year later, he takes a holiday to India - and whilst touring in a rickshaw, he sees his Prado going the other way on the road! - still complete with its NSW number plates!!

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

Yeah, they found a ford falcon somewhere in the middle east, with a few mercs still wearing vic plates.
was really common with the motorcycle wrecks. ever wondered why written off vehicles are still worth such good money
its because there is no international registry for write-offs. so can be repaired and registered as an import.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I read that those drones were powered by a volkswagen derivative made in China and listed at a surprisingly low 50 hp.  I would have expected 80 hp.

Israel has so far refused to sell any air-defence stuff but I did see a report that the Israelis had bombed a "warehouse " in Iran that was in the supply chain for these drones.

Why cannot those in power see that this type of warfare only makes people angry? The terror attacks on Ukraine are counter-productive for russia. People ( rightfully to me ) see what awaits them if they don't fight harder. And maybe send something similar back to Iran, except sent to military targets.

Are there any real examples where terror has worked? I can cite several examples where it had the opposite effect.

• Like 1