And While Australia Is Stuck In The Dark Ages :-(

jackc

4 hours ago, jackc said:

Subject says it all 😞  Our regulators and peak bodies are holding us back, when will they let go of their Egos and progress Aviation in Australia?  

https://inspire.eaa.org/youth/

You're 40 years too lateThis was the lifeblood of the AUF. Today you'll see them syuck on poles and roofs up the East Coast. There's one at Benalla and one at Holbrook. The people grew out of them; too many limitations - weather, short distance nowhere to go after a while, then along came things like the Skyfox that looked like a real plane and we were hooked. 

image.png.02d2f7a5797749cbe2a420f4d546fba4.png

The grass might look greener, but you are facing the same problem as a lot of entry level sports. The younger people want to go for the premium class from day one. There's a parallell in race cars where you can burn off a set of Hoosier race tyres at $250 each in a night's racing, putting it beyond family reach, but no one will race in the same cars with road tyres costing $150 which last two seasons.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, jackc said:

Subject says it all 😞  Our regulators and peak bodies are holding us back, when will they let go of their Egos and progress Aviation in Australia?  

https://inspire.eaa.org/youth/

Jack, I think you will find almost no difference in the way experimental and certified aircraft are regulated and maintained in Australia compared to the USA. The same AD's and manufacturer service bulletins are used in both countries. USA maintenance shops I see on YouTube do all the same stuff we do here. Cessna SIDS for private ops was an anomaly but that has gone now.

• Like 1

Jack, I have to agree with others on this subject. I began flying in 1981 with a Pterodactyl, 2 axis very light machine. Then progressed to an Eastwood Tyro. By 1986 I'd bought a VP-2 which was a registered homebuilt. This I transferred to AUF rego. I later bought a Thruster which I owned till a year ago. I've lately joined an established country aero club and fly their Jab. I find this very satisfying and don't want to go back to ultralights. Cost wise not a lot of difference and I get 90 kts to travel some little distance. Don

• Like 1

Don, Sadly I am late to the aviation ‘party’ I will get a  little fun from it before EOL but being the Dinosaur that I and many others are, I wonder if Aviation as a hobby will simply die in Australia?  I am a member of EAA in the U.S. and all I see is them going ahead and bounds.  I joined AOPA here and tried to get them interested in the promo area for young people etc.  Gave up as they did not care, busy junketing about saving airports is their deal.  Banging on about Bankstown etc, that is a lost cause.

They got angry when I did not renew my membership. 

Whilst I am still messing about with my Thruster and Aeropup, I now have a J-230D that actually flies and needs nothing done to it, except jettisoning its Microair radio 🙂 

Jack.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with jack. Part 103 seems to be very popular in the USA ATM. There are quite a few factory built kits and aircraft to choose from. Someone must be buying them.

• Informative 1

Aviation has always been strong in the USA, along with a strong culture of invention. Governments in the USA seem to have adopted a "guiding hand" approach to keeping things tidy, rather than an iron fist of prohibition. You also have to realise that with a population of 332 million, it only takes a small percentage of the population to take up an activity for the overall numbers involved to appear very large to us with our minute population.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1