Some Avalon Airshow 2023 day-one action.

red750

I don't understand why so many video-takers, record takeoffs from behind a wall of obstructions such as buildings, other aircraft, etc.

It's simply a waste of video effort to see a minute of obstructions flashing across the screen - as compared to positioning themselves in a clear area, to get a proper recording of a takeoff, which would be so much better.

It's hard to get good footage and an air show unless you have a flightline pass. I thought it was okay myself.

Anyway, did anyone notice the Ferris wheel in the background of a few shots ?

I hope the Jabiru display is not near the Ferris wheel !

Tongue-in-cheek of course   😂

• Like 1

Here are a few photos from the Aviation Spotters Online Facebook post. More will be available at the link in the previous post after the show is over.

RANMH-60Randflag.thumb.jpg.4a1b2ab78dde94d24fd2de69f66aa623.jpgRAAFQantasformation.thumb.jpg.fdf2ff5b501a5bb24949c64c525ed3cb.jpgRAAFBoeingE-7AWedgetail.thumb.jpg.4a3f4975ba5cc69dd9a99bbdef77da3c.jpgRAAFF-35ALightningII.thumb.jpg.33e7e597352c0bc69288943d45b0a0ee.jpgEnglishElectricCanberra.thumb.jpg.dccc2b9eadabc8a219fbe2d8c90bffa5.jpg

• Like 2

On 5/3/2023 at 11:09 AM, facthunter said:

Not many Canberra's actually flying.  Nev

The Yanks were using a few high-altitude variants during their venture in Afghanistan. The Canberra might be one of those century aircraft, like the Goonie Bird, B-52, Mig21 and Tu-95.

• Informative 1

3 hours ago, Old Koreelah said:

The Yanks were using a few high-altitude variants during their venture in Afghanistan. The Canberra might be one of those century aircraft, like the Goonie Bird, B-52, Mig21 and Tu-95.

WB-57F

there is 3 operated by NASA, I think they look like something out of star-wars with the bigger engines.

Martin/General Dynamics RB/WB-57F | Aircraft, Aviation, Aircraft design

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

I couldn't show the many that were really low - the crowd was in the way. You would have thought many of them had crashed they were so low, until they came up again further along. That's the problem with crowds like they had at Avalon. Unless you get there at 6 am. and get front of the pack, you see lots of hats and backs of heads. Plays havoc with auto-focus.

• Informative 1

I think I've usually gone there with a trade or Interest Pass. That's like cheating isn't it?  I had a Mate pretty much running the organising of it. Explains how I had no troubles seeing It and getting into Planes. To tell you the truth I've gone off Airshows a bit. I prefer HARS and wandering around it and getting in Planes I flew. It's incredibly Nostalgic for  Me. Was the Connie at Avalon?   To get a thing like THAT back into the Air is  a remarkable  Feat. It REALLY is. They weren't THAT reliable when they were NEW. Nev.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, red750 said:

…Unless you get there at 6 am. and get front of the pack, you see lots of hats and backs of heads. Plays havoc with auto-focus.

We’ve done that once and laid down a blanket to claim the territory. Later, with the crowd backing up behind us, everybody respected our sacred picnic planket territory. An aspect of the national culture I’m proud of.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, red750 said:

You would have thought many of them had crashed 

At Biggin Hill Air shows in the UK, you would sometimes see an extremely low high speed pass along the runway and the the aircraft would disappear. Everyone was waiting with baited breath expecting a bang and a load of smoke.

What the pilots did was to drop into the valley just past the end of the runway and swing around unseen from view, then come in again from the original end much to every ones relief.

• Like 1